JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

ARC not working via Anynet, but Optical audio has issue too?

(Topic created: 10-17-2017 03:26 PM)
WhyBuy
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Using a hu6950 55 inch "Smart" TV, the setup is STB to Marantz receiver to TV. HDMI 4 is used for ouput via receiver with ARC turned on both TV and receiver. 

Tried to play video from apps (Netflix or Amazon video) and like many others posted on the net, The Anynet + CEC through ARC (HDMI4) could not have consistent handshake between receiver and TV. Gave up the ARC idea and hoping to get discrete channel audio via Optical audio, this does not work either.

Tried out many options, set audio to PCM, turned off Instant power on, TV factory reset, smart hub reset, audio reset, different HDMI ports, different HDMI cables, powering up sequence, manual switch to Audio out... etc. Not only is Anynet not working, I could not get Optical audio to turn on either (no light through the cable). Video quality is great, if only I enjoy silent videos.  The only available sound option is through TV speakers or through analog RCA output.

Tested out the Optical cable directly from STB to receiver and it is working fine. Is there a way to force this smart TV to be dumber so it could turn on optical audio output always?

Had a LG TV prior and never seemed to have issue this frustrating...

59 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Please provide the full model code and current software version of the television. 

0 Likes
WhyBuy
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Model Code: UN55HU6950

Software Version: T-NT14UAKUC-1220.2, BT- S

Sub-micom: T-NT14UAUSS-1107

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Is the receiver ARC compatible? When you connected the STB to receiver via Optical, did you see light on both ends? Have you tried calling in to have a service reset? 

0 Likes
WhyBuy
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Receiver is ARC compatible. When Optical is outputing from STB to receiver, it is working fine.

I did not call in to have a service reset, would this help or suggested as a trial and error?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

It's suggested as trial and error in case there is an audio out setting that has been disabled. ^Gill

0 Likes
WhyBuy
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Is such setting that as a TV owner can’t access to via the front end interface or firmware upgrade or factory reset?  If I have to call in to reset network configuration via ISP I could understand that. Can you help elaborate why wold service call able to turn on some feature in the physical TV setting?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Sorry for the confusion. You can call in and have the reset done remotely. 1-800-726-7864, speak with the Digital Television department and request a service reset. 

0 Likes
Solution
WhyBuy
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

After almost a month pondering for solution....  I did not resolve the problem with Optical audio output, however I found a workaround to the problem I have with ARC (Anynet) problem that has been flooding all over the net, for last several years actually. 

What needs to be done is in the TV setting where Anynet is defaulted to automatic turn off, set it to ON always.  I have an android device which allows Anynet+ connection, connect this to the system via HDMI, just any HDMI port, does not need to be ARC port and allow the Anynet to handshake and connect.  Force the connection to disconnect (shut off the device or change HDMI source).  For some reasons this step sends a message to the SMART TV that Anynet is available now and it could actively connecct to my Marantz receiver.  Did a system power off and the ARC stopped working again, performed the same steps above, android device connected first and then disconnected, Samsung smartly connected once again. I have dolby digital sound now.

I did not call the service center as suggested as I don't think resetting again does any good.

A message to Samsung: please provide this smart ARC connection as a simple switch.  I do not mind to dumbly flip this switch everyime to connect the ARC.  In fact, I love to be the dummy to use your Smart TV with a switch.  

user6gUlaII0Lm
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I purchased a Series 8 4K UHD TV ( 82") in September 2017 Everything has worked flawlessly since it was installed until the evening of Jan 10, 2018.  The TV is hooked up to my Denon AVR-S530BT  home theater unit via the HDMI ARC connection and the Samsung remote operated both units turning both on/off, adjusting volume, etc. This has worked flawless as I mentioned up until now. All of sudden while muting the TV audio the ARC connection was not only lost but it is no longer even an option to select for use. Tried another HDMI cable and the cable is not the issue. I did hook up a light pipe (optical) audio cable.. this works for audio for the most part, but the two units do not communicate in a normal manor... turning units on/off together etc... AND does NOT solve the issue with the lost ARC connection
From what I understand, this may be an issue with the one connect box........????

BTW... The anynet IS turned on THOUGHTS ????
<Hidden>