JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Apple TV won't detect

(Topic created: 04-21-2020 05:01 PM)
snolsen
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have an NU8000 65" and an AppleTV. Until recenlty, no probems at all. The I sarted to notice that I could not turn on the AppleTV usung my smart remote. The "Power" button on the screen showed it being "Pressed". The Apple TV would not turn on.

I have the following equipment and software versions,

Apple TV  -  Model A1842  -  tvOS 13.0

Samsung TV  -  NU8000  -  Version 1270

I have done a complete rest of my AppleTV, moved my Apple TV to different HDMI port to no avail.  Any ideas? Did Apple update my firmware recently?

TIA

userwqH9D9I1gT
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I had this issue when I moved and everything had to be redone on my Samsung 8 Series,      , my 4K Apple TV listed as "unknown” and it staying that way no matter how many times I reset the TV and Smart Hub. Here is how I fixed it. You can probably do it without resetting anything, but do I recommend fully resetting just in case it fails or gets weird. That way you’re not doing the same steps over again.

I’m going to break it all down Barney-style, so there’s no confusion as I won’t be responding to comments most likely.

I’ve included instructions for [Factory Resets] (Set 1.b) and instructions for just [Basic Setup Reset] (Set 1.c). For any reset, it will ONLY reset the Samsung TV. No data loss will occur on the Apple TV.

This first set of instructions, Set 1.a,  I am going to start with the assumption you just turned on the TV and did NOT reset first. So, after turning your TV on:

IT’S VERY IMPORTANT YOU USE THE EXACT KEY LISTED OR YOU WILL NOT GET TO CORRECT MENU.

***** [ARROW KEY] MEANS RING OF ARROW KEYS IN MIDDLE OF STANDARD SAMSUNG TV

REMOTE. *****

ENTER MEANS KEY INSIDE CIRCLE OF ARROW KEYS.

1.a Hit TV Remote [Home Key] at bottom of remote. Has a house on it.

2.a [Left Arrow] to the left corner  and stop to highlight [Source].  - DON'T enter into full setup menu!

3.a Hit [Up Arrow / Enter] to access [Sources] menu.

4.a [Right Arrow] to highlight the [HDMI Unknown] slot that corresponds to the HDMI source number your Apple TV is plugged into.

5.a Hit [**Up Arrow**] into the [HDMI Unknown] list menu. There should be three options:

1. Add to Home - (will only be there if you do not have Apple TV Unknown widget pinned to your Smart Hub Home Menu.)
  2. Edit
  3. Universal Remote

6.a Highlight [Universal Remote] and hit [Enter]. You will be taken to a large white screen that says [Universal Remote Setup] at the top and slots at the bottom with your known HDMI electronics list. (I.e., one says PlayStation 4, the next XBox One, etc. depending on the things that you have plugged in.)

7.a You should already be highlighting the slot that says [New Device]. Hit [Enter] and select it.

8.a. You should be at another menu that now says [Select Device Type] at the top and four new options at the bottom:

-Set-top Box

-Home Theater System

-OTT Box / Game Console

-Blu-Ray Player

The Apple TV is considered an OTT box. [Arrow Right] to highlight and hit [Enter] to select it.

9.a New menu should be [Select Additional Devices] and you have two possible options:

-TV Directly

-Via Home Theater System

Unless your Apple TV is hooked directly into the speakers of a Home Theater System, highlight and select [TV directly] by hitting [Enter]. I use an HDMI hub and those setups don’t count.

If you want to use a HTS remote with your Apple TV or if the Apple TV is hooked directly to a HTS, highlight and select [Via Home Theater System] with [Enter].

10.a

1. Next, in the [Select Brand Menu] for the [Via Home Theater System (HTS) Option] highlight and select the **** brand of the HTS****and hit [Enter].
  2. In the [Select Brand Menu] for the  [TV Directly Option] highlight and select the *****brand of the OTT Box / Console***** -(Apple, obviously.)

11.a    Now in the [ HTS or OTT Box / Game Console Control Test Menu] the system will allow you to test and see if either the Samsung TV remote or your HTS remote will now operate the Apple TV. Follow the prompts for either option.

If all goes well, it should now recognize it as an Apple TV and the remotes should work universally.

If that didn’t work, just right out of the gate when you turn on the TV, you’ve two options. I would reset everything, but that’s me. I like starting from scratch. You could also just start the setup over, which isn’t as far as a factory reset would go in terms of data loss, but should accomplish what you’re trying to do, see last set of instructions (1.c.) below for [Basic Setup Reset].

If you want to [Factory Reset] ***you will lose every setting and any apps or media on the Samsung TV!!!! EVERYTHING!**** go:

1.b. Hit TV Remote [Home Key] and [Arrow Left] to the far left corner and select [Settings]

2.b. [Arrow Down] highlight and select [Support] with [Enter].

3.b. [Arrow Down] highlight and select [Reset].

4.b. Once reset the [Start Setup] menu will launch automatically and you should jump to 1.a, and follow from there the rest of the way. You’re on your own for setting everything else you want to change.

For those that just want to [Start Setup] with NO RESET except general settings like networks and accounts, start here:

1.c Hit TV Remote [Home Key] and [Arrow Left] to the far left corner and select [Settings]

2.c. [Arrow Down] highlight and select [General]

3.c. [Arrow Down] to highlight. and select [Start Setup]. I would confirm you want to reset everything, since I had issues with my Live TV not loading all the broadcast local channels while I was messing with it a while ago, but you can achieve what you’re trying to do without it.

1. Follow the prompts to set the system up how you want and ignore the fact the Apple TV comes up [Unknown] for now.
  2. Onceto at normal screen as if you were watching something, go back  1.a above and follow first set of instructions.

Hope that did what yogu wanted. It’s in such a weird menu location. But, there it is. @snolsen @useren7625GOuk @FarmerBob @rickatk @userTQUx2gviy8 

uservXliYOYqZf
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I'm having a similar issue - but the Universal Remote app setup does not recognize the Apple TV and I have to manually search for both the manufacturer (Apple) and the model (AppleTV4k).  When doing so I am presented with a screen to test the remote (2 options) and they both fail at controlling it.  Not sure what is happening and why the remote does not have the correct commands to control the external Apple TV device.  I verified that HDMI CEC (or Anynet+ as Samsung calls it) is working as I can control the TV (on/off) with my Apple TV remote.  I'm at a loss...

0 Likes
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Can you position the AppleTV device in front of the TV and see if TV can control it?

0 Likes
uservXliYOYqZf
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have the Apple TV in front of the TV - no dice!  I also tried to 'learn' the remote through the AppleTV device and the apple tv does not register/recognize any of the OneRemote commands.  I have an older samsung tv that does work - so I know it's not an issue with the AppleTV.

0 Likes
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

By any chance did you rename your Apple TV to something other than the default  "Apple TV"?

user7j516zjoVO
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thanks 

It helped me to fix the problem.

0 Likes
userv5a1hDUJZC
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Super helpful. Thanks.

This is what worked for me. I had to do BOTH of the first 2:

1. Went out and got an 'HDMI 3' rated cable ($10)

2. Went into Samsung preferences and enabled all 3 HDMI standards (HDMI 1, 2, 3)

3. Don't forgot to follow the earlier advice and enable CEC on both your Apple TV and your Samsung TV

Sorry I didn't post step-by-step instructions.

0 Likes
theAlanB15
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Not sure if this applies to this convo. But my new Apple TV 4K won't show picture on screen unless something else (like my Nintendo Switch), is powered on at the same time, the moment I turn off the Nintendo the screen goes black on my Apple TV. They are both on the same HDMI switcher which is on the same input. I didn't gave any of these issues with my Roku. Driving me crazy 

0 Likes
userbljmcV9pz9
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Ohh my god, thank you SO MUCH! 

This has been driving me mad for so long, and even though I had been down some of this road before, I never thought of choosing the OTT option!

I really, really appreciate your nice and detailed write-up here, because even though the "HDMI 4" option did get me to my Apple TV, that and it's generic icon just drove me insane 🙂

Thank you!

0 Likes
userkvjCRHKmep
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Worked for me, no reset needed. Thank you!!

0 Likes