JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Audio Dropouts While Watching Broadcast TV

(Topic created: 02-16-2023 09:49 AM)
userONOSGYvrXr
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This is a follow up to my previous discussion, which was marked as solved (which it wasn't) and locked.

After updating the software to v1333 on my Samsung NU7100, I've been experiencing an occasional brief dropout in the audio (occurring roughly every hour) while watching broadcast channels. This happens with multiple stations and is not the result of a particular station or poor reception, though it appears to be limited to channels transmitting Dolby Digital 2.0 streams. Prior to the update, the dropouts never occurred, so it is not a problem with the TV itself. Factory resetting the TV did not fix the problem. Furthermore, I recently purchased a new Samsung AU8000 55" TV about a week ago, and the problem is present there as well after the TV updated itself to the latest version, so apparently this problem is affecting more than just one model. All my other non-Samsung TVs and devices do not suffer from this issue, all of which are connected to the same antenna.

Please take a look into this problem, and revert back whatever was changed in the latest updates. These dropouts are very annoying!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userONOSGYvrXr
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

OK. Here's an update...

In the last couple of weeks, the audio has been good with no dropouts. Just recently, it started happening again. Based on other non-Samsung TVs, I have come to a conclusion that the dropouts are not the fault of an update, but caused by a local broadcast station that I frequency watch. What's happening is that there has been some occasional corruption in their broadcast stream, which has recently gotten worse. When it occurs, even if it's very minor, the Samsung TVs will briefly drop the audio, where the other TVs will not, unless the corruption is severe to the point where the video breaks up and/or freezes. In other words, the Samsung TVs are very sensitive to the corruption, where the other TVs are not. The corruption is not the result of a weak broadcast signal, as all the signal bars are present when the picture breaks up, so it's likely happening somewhere between the studio and their transmitter. It just so happens that this issue popped up shortly after updating my Samsung TVs, and I blamed the update because of it. I'm pretty sure I heard the dropout on another station, though that could have just been a minor technical issue with that station. I'll continue to monitor it.

View solution in context

3 Replies
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Interesting, I have a 2021 model (similar to AU8000) but don't experience any audio dropouts on my end.

Is your AU8000 2021? What version is it on?

0 Likes
userONOSGYvrXr
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

It's on version 1420. This is the revised AU8000 with the B suffix at the end.

You may have to leave the TV on the same channel for an hour or so in order for the dropout to occur. Changing the channel tends to reset it. As mentioned above, this has also been happening with my NU7100 since version 1333, which was released at the beginning of the year, so this problem isn't limited to a particular model.

0 Likes
Solution
userONOSGYvrXr
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

OK. Here's an update...

In the last couple of weeks, the audio has been good with no dropouts. Just recently, it started happening again. Based on other non-Samsung TVs, I have come to a conclusion that the dropouts are not the fault of an update, but caused by a local broadcast station that I frequency watch. What's happening is that there has been some occasional corruption in their broadcast stream, which has recently gotten worse. When it occurs, even if it's very minor, the Samsung TVs will briefly drop the audio, where the other TVs will not, unless the corruption is severe to the point where the video breaks up and/or freezes. In other words, the Samsung TVs are very sensitive to the corruption, where the other TVs are not. The corruption is not the result of a weak broadcast signal, as all the signal bars are present when the picture breaks up, so it's likely happening somewhere between the studio and their transmitter. It just so happens that this issue popped up shortly after updating my Samsung TVs, and I blamed the update because of it. I'm pretty sure I heard the dropout on another station, though that could have just been a minor technical issue with that station. I'll continue to monitor it.