JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Dimming the screen vs screen saver for burn out protection?

(Topic created: 12-27-2022 07:51 AM)
SVanDee
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Got a QN55S95BAFXZA recently. I like to keep Spotify open on the Now Playing or PlayList pages for hours at a time. During most sessions, the display has switched to the screen saver after a couple of minutes with no activity as the manual says it will. But during some sessions, it has dimmed the screen instead of turning on the screen saver. The screen brightens again when there's activity just as the screen saver would have switched off. It seems to decide which to do when the app opens. That is,  it will either turn on the screen saver or dim the display after no activity until it's closed even if the session lasts hours and no matter what music is selected. Having to find and push something on the remote just to see what's playing is a nuisance. I much prefer dimming the screen. The TV seems to always use screen dimming rather than the screen saver when an Apple TV external input is selected so I think the TV must be making the decision rather than the Spotify app. How can I configure the TV to always dim the display rather than turning the screen saver on?

2 Replies
Solution
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
If you're talking about hours at a time the screen saver would be better.
SVanDee
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/oled-burn-in-should-you-be-worried-about-it-and-how-can-you-prevent-... and other online sites say manufactures have done a lot to prevent burn-out over the last decade. It's not likely to happen with recent models unless the TV displays something like a fixed logo or banner all day every day. Also, temporary "image retention" gives some warning before it becomes permanent. Unless someone authoritative from Samsung explains why the QN55S95 displays such a clunky screen saver so quickly, I guess  I'll just treat the Samsung as a dumb display device slaved to my Apple TV.  The Apple TV does put up an interesting screen saver or dim the screen sometimes but with a long enough time out not to be intrusive.

0 Likes