JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

My 3 yr old RU7100 TV just started on fire...

(Topic created: 07-24-2022 06:32 PM)
HykCraft
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Purchased June 2019.

Currently July 2022.

This past Saturday the right backlight strip went out and the left backlight strip started to flicker and turn on and off. On Sunday while the TV was on, I noticed the pixels in the bottom left-hand corner started to turn black and lose color.. and it started to get bigger and bigger along the bottom edge. And then smoke and a burning smell came from the TV followed by snap, crackle, pop sounds.

So I guess this is a pro-tip: don't buy any sort of edge-lit LED TVs with backlight strips -- as they will catch fire over time, especially from Samsung.

I am a strong supporter of their projects -- but after this, I'm thinking of forgetting Samsung altogether. I don't want to own products that catch fire.

Also, my replacement TV that I'm purchasing tomorrow DEFINITELY IS NOT a Samsung.

01a.png02.jpg

0 Likes
5 Replies
fairlee
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
There's a small fire in tv
wwyatt092
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Did you put it in rice?
HykCraft
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Yes, I sure did. The heat from the TV made some creamy Risotto afterward.

0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Oh no! I hope everyone and everything is okay! I understand events like this can be scary and concerning. Since this has happened please send us a private message with your full model and serial number and the following information. 

Place of purchase:
First and Last Name:
Physical Street Address:
City, State, and Zip Code:
Home phone number:
Alternate phone number:     
Email address: 

HykCraft
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Yes, everything is ok and I'm ok -- if I wasn't around, it could have done more serious damage, but I was able to take care of it right away when it happened.

This apparently appears to be an issue while researching online -- plenty of YT vids of this occurring and technicians showing how to possibly repair them.

I've already placed the TV back in its original packaging.

I've sent a direct message to you with the info you requested.

Thanks.

0 Likes