JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q80T audio cuts out (every 30-60 minutes)

(Topic created: 04-14-2022 09:59 AM)
JoshTreitz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Hi there,

I have a Q80T tv hooked up to a PS5 (via a 2.1 hdmi from PlayStation to HDMI 4 - the one for next gen gaming), and then a Q950a soundbar hooked up via the eArc port on the tv and soundbar. 

When playing movies on the PlayStation, they will be working fine (Atmos, HDR, 4k) but every 30-60 minutes sound will cut out for 1-2 seconds. My first tests involved limiting the variables, so I tried the same 4k discs in the ps5 on another tv, and had no cuts at all. Then I removed the soundbar and hooked up the ps5 back to the Q80t and played volume out of the tv speakers. The skips started again. Therefore it is not a ps5/disc issue or a soundbar connection issue. Something is happening with the tv itself. 

I paid a lot for this whole setup and don’t want to just live with this issue, so I am desperate to find a solution to this. I have seen a lot of posters complaining of similar issues but have not yet seen a solution.

13 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

I can definitely understand how frustrating this may be. Do you have the tv plugged into a wall socket or a surge protector? You can also try giving the tv a factory reset.

0 Likes
JoshTreitz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

TV is plugged into a power bar. 

How would I give a factory reset? Would this remove all the updates?

0 Likes
JoshTreitz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Update: After some talks with Samsung Support I have tried a few more things to no avail. I tried making the audio output just PCM (instead of Auto) and I still get audio drops. I tried a factory reset of the tv, and still get audio drops. The next suggestion I got was to call a local technician, but because I am out of warranty this will come out of my pocket. I am fairly certain this started due to a firmware update, but there doesnt seem to be a way to revert to past firmware updates...so any more recommendations are very welcome. 

Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

A factory reset would not revert updates. But try unplugging your unit for about 5 minutes then retrying directly in a wall socket. I don't know why but this fixes a lot of common issues with these new tv's of any brand.

0 Likes
JoshTreitz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Tried both a factory reset, and then the switch to the wall socket and still had the same issue sadly. The weird thing is that when I play movies in standard blurray, this issue does not occur, just on the 4k ultra HD discs. It has to be related to the amount of data coming into the tv from the external source, but, that is no excuse for Samsung. I paid for a top tier television to play these disc types properly. I really hope they address this in their next firmware updates! 

0 Likes
JoshTreitz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Hi there,

I have a Q80T tv hooked up to a PS5 (via a 2.1 hdmi from PlayStation to HDMI 4 - the one for next gen gaming), and then a Q950a soundbar hooked up via the eArc port on the tv and soundbar. 

When playing movies on the PlayStation, they will be working fine (Atmos, HDR, 4k) but every 30-60 minutes sound will cut out for 1-2 seconds. My first tests involved limiting the variables, so I tried the same 4k discs in the ps5 on another tv, and had no cuts at all. Then I removed the soundbar and hooked up the ps5 back to the Q80t and played volume out of the tv speakers. The skips started again. Therefore it is not a ps5/disc issue or a soundbar connection issue. Something is happening with the tv itself. Additionally, I have also tried a different HDMI in place of the 2.1 that I was using. I used the one supplied with my Q950a soundbar and it still skipped. 

I have run a self diagnostic and the HDMI was reported to be in good condition, and the device care just suggested I turn off AutoVolume. When I turned that off, there was still skipping. 

I paid a lot for this whole setup and don’t want to just live with this issue, so I am desperate to find a solution to this. I have seen a lot of posters complaining of similar issues but have not yet seen a solution.

NukeLife
Comet
Options
Home Theater
Only thing I can think of, is try switching out the cable to a better quality one. If that doesn't work you may have a hardware issue. You could also check to see if an update caused it. If it did you can download an older version and see if that fixes the issue.
0 Likes
JoshTreitz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Doing a test with a new HDMI now, however the one I was using was a 2.1 that came with the PS5 which should be fine for playing 4k movies.

As for the update check, do you know how I would check that? And where to go to download old updates? Sorry I'm a noob here.

0 Likes
NukeLife
Comet
Options
Home Theater
Usually, you can Google your TV model number, then type update downloads. Look for an official Samsung site then download to a USB then put that usb in your TV then do the download that way. If you have to go back an update.

After you check the new HDMI, check updates on you TV, then if that doesn't help then go back an update like described above. If all that doesn't work you may have a hardware issue, hopefully it will still be covered under warranty or extended warranty.
0 Likes