user9v9S3J7Rl8
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello,

Straight off the bat I want to mention the fact that I am NOT interested in:

1. Streaming from PC to TV.

2. Mirroring from PC to TV.

3. Use 3rd party app or Samsung App to view movies from my PC to the TV.

4. Use an HDMI cable to connect the 2 devices.

5. Any other method such as using a NAS or anything other than what I am describing below.

I am trying to view Shared Folders from my Windows 10 PC, on my Samsung TV 55NU7102, via Wi-fi.

1. I have enabled Media Sharing from Windows 10 and I have tested with a 2nd laptop using wi-fi and I am able to access the shared folders from the local area network (LAN), without any issue.

2. I am able to view movies and even subtitles load properly if they have the same name as the movie, but ONLY if I place the movies and subtitles in my PC under the default "Videos" folder, which is the same as C:\Users\PCname\Videos . 

3. Since I am able to view videos from default folders on my PC, such as Pictures/Movies/Music..etc. I do NOT understand why I am not able to view the Shared Folders from the local area network on my TV.

Can anyone please explain why this is not working, how can I make it work, or is it not supposed to work?

29 Replies
userfOivS1CXS8
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

HOW DO I MAP EXTERNAL!!!! i can see videos tab on my tv and all my house mates can view my personal files. this is retarded. i want to share specific folders. like my external drive on my pc

0 Likes
user1oyXe98SM4
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Everything happens as described but in the end I can see no pictures inside the folders. I've added my Pictures folder from the PC's HDD to the "Pictures" and it appers there on the PC. 

0 Likes
userl5Yy9Y2EtO
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This does not work on my Oled tv i can see all the folders but no content found the content is there as i can see it on all other pc tv devices in my house and there is 3 pc and 4 HD network tv

0 Likes
user9v9S3J7Rl8
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

@Anonymous @Anonymous - Can you guys help @usercwMLrSv9Bh  ?

I am really interested in the solution you provide for this issue.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

What is the formatting of the video files and is it through an external HDD or flash USB? 

0 Likes
user9v9S3J7Rl8
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

That question is so irrelevant to the issue presented...

It's like I'm telling you I cannot connect to the internet and you are asking how much memory does my computer have.

Anyway, the video files are either .mkv / .mp4, and the files are not on an external HDD or on a flash USB, they are inside the computer (local hard disk) the sharing of Windows Folders is done via LAN and Wi-Fi (Wireless).

userySMHk3XqIr
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

UP!

I too am NOT intested in the 5 approaches described by user9v9S3J7Rl8!

SemperFiWM
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I hate to be the one to tell you but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Okay, now that we have that settled we can move on to what you are trying to say.  You want to be able to play files on one device from another device.  Or two or three, etc. other devices.  Let's look at your list and I will explain how you do want what is said...

1. Streaming from PC to TV.  Yes, you do want this - playing files located on one device over the network onto another device is streaming no matter what app/protocol/network you use.

2. Mirroring from PC to TV.  Correct - you don't want this unless you want to do a presentation or narrate pictures, etc.

3. Use 3rd party app or Samsung App to view movies from my PC to the TV.  Yes, you do want this - you may need an app on some TVs/devices to watch movies/view pictures - whether local, over the network, connected via USB, etc.  A good one is VLC.  Most smart TVs have the capability built inside already.

4. Use a HDMI cable to connect the 2 devices.  Correct - you don't want this unless you want to do a presentation or narrate pictures, etc.

5. Any other method such as using a NAS or anything other then what I am describing below.  Yes, you do want this - Anytime you are sharing files/content you use a protocol.  SMB/CIFS is Windows content sharing, NFS is all *NIX (Linux/Unix), and AFP (deprecated) is Apple's content sharing.  Most NAS are able to do all of them just like your PC - and more.  That is what they are made for - instead of keeping everything on your laptop.  You can make one with an old PC.  So, a NAS shares just like a computer.

Share the contents on your PC to everyone on the local network as read only.  That's it.  Or you can move the files to the Public/Videos directory.

0 Likes
userBEPjQtMleQ
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Same problem here. My Windows 10 settings are as described by @ SamsungGill. My videos are in a nonstandard folder on a HD that is not my main C drive. The top level folder and its subfolders are all shared. Security settings on all folders and files grant Everyone Read and Read/Execute (I have also tried giving Everyone FULL access). The TV displays the folders but shows them EMPTY. That's the problem.

The videos are all .mp4 or .mkv files. My Kindle, Samsung phone and other computers can view them through the network, no problem. The TV is the only device that cannot do it. 

The Smart View app works to some extent - it plays videos from the computer to the TV, but after about 5 minutes  a message appears on the TV that says check the network connection, then the video stops and the next one starts. 

My Windows event log shows no relevant errors or networking events. The TV was purchased in Seattle from a large retailer, and I am using it in Seattle. 

Why can the TV see the folders but not the files? This used to work, but after I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on a new HD,  the TV now shows folders only. 

0 Likes
mooksyNZ
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I don't use a shield like most but if you simply make your home PC (if you have one) a media streaming device (turn 'on' UPNP in your router config too), then basically your TV should be able to see it. My Samsung 82 inch NU8000 will see the network media folder & stored HDD files and will easily play my 80GB MKV 2160p files flawlessly over 5ghz wifi and transport the bit stream audio too straight from the TV not the PC. Although one down point, Samsung were stupid to leave out being able to transport DTS, DST-MA audio which makes a lot of files play without audio. I have yet to find a work around on it for those encoders who didn't add DD audio to the file to alleviate the problem. Hope this helps those looking for a cheaper alternative.