Original topic:

Smart Calibration on QN95B with a Galaxy S22 Ultra crashing

(Topic created: 12-06-2022 09:08 AM)
daath
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I am trying to calibrate my new QN95B TV using my S22 Ultra - I managed to do a basic/simple calibration, but I want to run the "professional" calibration. However, after it has run a minute or two the app crashes back to the smartthings app.

Anyone got some pointers? I've tried many times. It crashes every time. 

Also it was really hard to actually START the calibration - it said failed to connect, even though I could control the TV from the phone, and even start camera sharing etc.

10 Replies
KennewickMan
Supernova
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Clear the Smart Things app cache and try again.
0 Likes
daath
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Already tried that - no difference. It crashes in the same spot every time.

KennewickMan
Supernova
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Must be a bug. Hopefully, there will be an update soon!

Is your new TVs software current?
0 Likes
daath
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Yep, latest firmware as far as I can tell - also latest Android and latest SmartThings app 😕

KennewickMan
Supernova
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
I'll do some digging.
vaggvisa
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I observe the exact same behaviour on my QN90B. Tried it with Samsung Galaxy S22 and S20 FE - both crash at the identical step during the professinal calibration process, roughly 5%. Basic calibration works perfectly fine. App and TV software are on latest release.

daath
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

It's really annoying 😕 I wonder if you HAVE to have an Apple device to calibrate a Samsung TV? 😛

0 Likes
SkankyTrick
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Why would anyone want Apple junk?
0 Likes
SkankyTrick
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Yes, I have an S95B and an S22 Ultra, and everything works and pairs and I can control the TV through Android and SmartThings – but as soon as I make the first tap on "smart calibration," it immediately pops up an error message that says connection failed, even though the message appears instantly with no timeout delay whatsoever, as though it isn't even trying to connect (even though my phone is all the while connected to the TV in every way possible, with the only exception occuring the instant I click to start smart calibration).

So same issue as you, and I've already tried everything I can possibly think of, including everything mentioned by everyone here. Also as you, all firmware is current and so forth.

Just wanted to state for the record that this is not an isolated issue. I have the exact same TV and phone, both of which are Samsung flagships, yet nothing works nearly as well together as my LG C8 OLED did with any of my Samsung phones or tablets. I can't even cast a YouTube video to my S95B unless I first turn the TV on and then I also have to find the old-school remote and make a bunch of clicks to get the YouTube app launched on the TV (and click whatever "connection" prompt I get on the YouTube phone app), and only then am I able to cast a YouTube video to the TV. Even the screen cast feature doesn't seem to work with anything except Gallery, for whatever reason, which negates all the benefits of screen mirroring (and wireless DEX, which worked amazing ony LG TV, and I could even use the Magic Remote as a wireless mouse, which was awesome...but now that I'm using a Samsung flagship TV with my Samsung flagship phone, I can't get anything to work nearly as quick or easily as with my LG TV). Pretty terrible that I get more functionality and a far more seamless experience using my 2018 LG OLED with my Samsung phone than the incredibly frustrating lack of functionality I have to accept when using my 2022 Samsung flagship QD-OLED. The LG just worked and everything was simple, reliable, and mindless; the S95B can't do anything well except the picture quality. But aside from the actual picture quality and build quality (which I actually really like, aside from the remote control), you can't even relax to watch a picture because you spend an eternity just trying to navigate the completely worthless OS and menu system. I didn't think it could actually be all that bad considering it is a 2022 Samsung flagship TV. Like, how bad can the menu/OS possibly be? Again, my 2018 LG is extremely quick and snappy and leaves nothing more to be desired; so how could a competing Samsung flagship, 5 years later, be virtually unusable in the same ways that the old LG was so great???? The S95B locks up ("hangs"), nothing seems to work like it is supposed to, I get all kinds of bugs (like when the screensaver turns on every time a button on the remote hasn't been clicked for 3 seconds, even when content is playing, and there is no way to get the screensaver to stop coming on except to reset everything), and how most frequently-accessed menu settings are buried several layers deep (even having to start by holding the menu button for a second or two, then hitting the up arrow, then pressing the select button – all just to OPEN the settings menu). How did the engineers and marketing people at Samsung actually release a flagship TV with an OS that rivals that of TVs from ten years ago or more, like the very first smart TVs.

And from what people say, most new firmware releases make things worse. Fortunately I have Samsung Care+ for two years, so hopefully I'll be able to swap my S95B out before my Care+ expires. I imagine for everyone else, Samsung probably just tells their customers to buy the new model if they aren't happy with the S95B. Of course the S95C is now announced, so I certainly don't see Samsung assigning a team dedicated to continuing to develop firmware improvements for the S95B.

0 Likes