Original topic:

Popping sounds while watching TV

(Topic created: 06-09-2018 09:18 AM)
userOdlGBSH4ck
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello, 

I recently purchased a Samsung - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV, and now that I have had it a few days, I am noticing that the sound pops every couple minutes or so. It makes no difference weather the volume is higher or lower it still pops, but the intensity of the pop does change with the volume. (Quiet pop/crackle when on a lower volume)  is there anyone who could give me advice on what to do, or maybe someone has had the same problem and has solved it? 

257 Replies
user2mUL73fS5f
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hi. No I did not do a reset. I ended returning the TV and getting another replacement of the same model. The majority of my TV viewing is through via cable TV programming. This is the only time that I've experienced the popping issue.

All my HDMI connections are wired through the Smart Connect box.

After a month of use, this second TV is now starting to exhibit the same behavior of popping sounds from the speakers.

I'm not sure if I will be giving this TV a third chance if the sound issue is not resolved.

0 Likes
Solution
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

FYI, the latest 2017 MU and Q Series firmware version 1230.0 addresses the pop noise issue and is available for download under the "Manuals and Downloads" section of the Support Page.

userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

That's reassuring to hear. Is there somewhere where Samsung has stated what the fix is for, or domyou just mean since taking the update that you have not encountered the popping issue?

I'm just trying to know for sure if a update can resolve this before contacting Samsung support for further attempts at repairs. I have already tried a new TV mainboard and new One Conecct box board.

0 Likes
hillsmi
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Gee...if you've had the brain replaced, and the OneConnect box, and it was still giving you problems, it probably was not the set.

I am still a proponent of the more simple fix...have you read other posts on this thread, and seen that an HDMI cable upgrade has solved the popping for a few of us?

Mine was popping through set speakers only, no other external speakers connected, and not running through an X-box or anything else.

I simply upgraded the HDMI cable from my DVR to the OneConnect box and PRESTO!, no more popping.  These 4K / UHD sets require a transmission path that can handle the traffic.

Start small, then work your way up.  Instead, you had an overhaul done for a simple leak, that still didn't fix the issue.  Surprise, Surprise.

Have a good weekend.

Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Yes, it has been confirmed from Samsung Engineers that the latest version T-KTMAKUC-1230.0 fixes the pop issue.

0 Likes
hillsmi
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Okay, so a fix has been posted.  I would think that a lot of people would want to know..."What was the cause of the popping issue?"

Samsung?  Can you elaborate, now that you have found an alleged fix to this issue?

0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
It's all well and good repeating the 'upgrade your HDMI cable' statement, and certainly I get that is worth trying and it may indeed works for some people - but perhaps do not assume that everyone's issue works the same.

As I have stated previously I have literally tested by having no devices connected, all HDMI cables unplugged from the One Connect, and just tested using the TV's own apps for the day and it was still randomly popping.

I can hear it switch too, so a pop might happen on the right side (presumably TV speakers) and then a couple pops might come from the left side.
0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Been intouch via email with Samsung Engineer. They sent me early firmware version 1229.9 and just downloaded to 1230.0 version with 2017 QLED and Vizio Sound bar SB4251. No Pops all week. I'll see how it goes all weekend but I think this has been fixed.

0 Likes
userYZdbeximOe
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have been on the phone several times with Samsung for our MU8000 tv.  Firmware is updated.  They are sending me a new smart connect box.   Hopefully this helps.  We do have upgraded HDMI cables.   And although we have a Samsung sound bar, we get the popping even when not hooked up to the TV.  Very annoying issue, especially since they want me to replicate it through the sound test, and of course we cannot.

0 Likes
userQkicrpttIR
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
I had engineers out and they replaced the board in my One Connect box, but the popping still happens. As mentioned previously I have also had a TV mainboard replacement to try and address the popping fault too. Nothing resolved this as of yet.

Following people stating that the 1230 firmware is to address the popping a Samsung software engineer in these forums has messaged me.to clarify that the update is to address this issue. Which is very promising.

My concern is that my TV is the 2016 KS range, so I need to know if this firmware fix will be coming down to the 2016 KS sets too. If I know it's coming then I don't need to keep having engineer home visits trying to fix something that is actually just a software bug!
0 Likes