JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Start Screen Problem neo oled TV

(Topic created: 02-09-2023 02:58 PM)
Art_P
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I recently purchased a 55 inch Neo OLED 4K Smart TV.  In General Settings>Start Screen Options, "Start with Smart Hub Home" is turned on and other options are off.  I have a Firestick 4K plugged into one of the HDMI ports for viewing and recording over-the-air broadcast TV with other options being streaming with the Spectrum app and Prime Video.  Whenever I turn on the TV, the Firestick displays instead of the Samsung Smart Hub Home.  In fact, none of options in Smart Screen Options seem to have any affect on anything.  How can I control what is displayed when the TV is turned on?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Does the Firestick have the option to disable CEC? If not you can try a cec blocker like this one to keep the Firestick from stealing focus.
BlueRigger 4K HDMI CEC Less Adapter (4K, UHD, ARC, 1080p, Ethernet) - HDMI Male to Female Adapter - Compatible with HDTV, TV Stick, Game Consoles, Laptops, Soundbar https://a.co/d/csUb2yU

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 Replies
Solution
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Does the Firestick have the option to disable CEC? If not you can try a cec blocker like this one to keep the Firestick from stealing focus.
BlueRigger 4K HDMI CEC Less Adapter (4K, UHD, ARC, 1080p, Ethernet) - HDMI Male to Female Adapter - Compatible with HDTV, TV Stick, Game Consoles, Laptops, Soundbar https://a.co/d/csUb2yU
0 Likes
Art_P
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

The Firestick has a setting called Equipment Control that has the options off, manual, and automatic.  It was set to automatic, and I changed it to off, which resulted in a blank screen when I turned on the TV requiring pressing the home button to display the Samsung Hub.  I changed the Equipment Control to manual, and the Samsung Hub now appears when turning on the TV.  The recent window in the hub at least sometimes shows the last app used upon startup instead of the Firestick.  Returning from the settings menu to the Hub results in Firestick as the most recent app even though it was not.  In any case, I am now getting the Hub displayed instead of Prime Video thru the Firestick, which is good.

Thanks for informing me about CEC and the ability to block it.  I was ignorant about it.  Would an adapter be beneficial in my current situation?

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
It's hard to say. You'd kinda have to try one to see if that's what the problem is. I had a roku that insisted on being what was shown every time I started up everything instead of the TV like I wanted. A cec blocker worked for me to fix that problem. They're not that expensive so you can try one and if it doesn't work send it back.

Some are knockoffs and aren't made correctly. Make sure the one you get does not have a pin 13. In the pin 13 port there shouldn't be anything in it, just an empty hole. Pin 13 is what sends the cec signal to your other devices. HDMI Pin13_1000004147_1676370685.jpg
0 Likes