JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

TV Disconnects from Internet When Turned-Off

(Topic created: 05-21-2017 12:02 PM)
user8q0PKtXLB5
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

My new Samsung 4K TV (UN50KU6300) in my bedroom disconnects from the internet whenever the TV is turned off for even a short period of time. When the TV is initially turned on, there is no internet connection even though the router is close by and the wifi signal strength is very strong. I have to re-input my security code each time (or connect using WPS) and the internet then immediately reconnects. As long as the TV is turned on, the connection is fine and there are no disconnection problems. However, when the TV is turned off the internet disconnects.

I have been troubleshooting for months and tried nearly every possible fix that I can find (e.g. change settings, use manual or modified IP settings, manually add new or existing network, unplug, factory reset, software updates, use reserved DHCP, try unsecured guest network, etc, etc. etc.), but the problem continues. I even exchanged the TV in hopes that there was something defective with my first unit, but the new TV is doing the exact same thing. I called Samsung support one time and the agent did not offer any solution.

The only troubleshooting I have not yet tried is a different router. But why? I have had three other Samsung TVs connected to my same routers without any internet disconnection problem. I never had this problem with my prior bedroom TV which was another Samsung HD TV in the same spot as my new one. I also have had two different Samsung TVs in my den, the newest being a recently purchased 4K model (UN65KS8000), all of which have never had any disconnection problem. Only my new bedroom unit has this problem.

It seems to me that the TV for some reason is not saving my login security code when turned off, but that’s just my best guess. I really am stumped and can’t believe this problem cannot be resolved. I have read other reviewers complaining about the exact same problem, but most reviews for this set make no mention of this kind of problem.

152 Replies
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Which firmware version are you running currently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
user8q0PKtXLB5
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I don't know off hand what version, but I do know it's the latest version as I have automatic updates and also maually check at times to see if there are any newer firmware versions.  I monitor the firmware verions because I keep hoping there will be an update that will fix the problem.

SnYCZ
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

My ks8500 also kept losing the internet connection.A new linksys router cured the problem. BUT I found an easy way to re-establish the internet connection while I was still using the older modem. Might work for you?  Press and hold the power button on the remote while the tv shuts down and restarts. Once the tv is on again, release the remote's power button. If it works for you as it did for me, after the tv is completely rebooted (maybe 30-60 seconds after the tv restarts) the internet connection will work again without re-entering the password. it won't fix your problem completely but at least you won't have to re-enter the password each time. 

user8q0PKtXLB5
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Wow, that works!  This is the first solution that has ever worked, even though it's still not a complete fix.  There is something about the "reboot" that I guess actually causes the TV to search and connect to the signal.   It is definitely different than just powering on with a push of the button, because the TV first shows a "Smart TV" logo and literally reboots rather than just powers on.  Definitely much easier than inputing the password or connecting with WPS.  Thank you for that solution!  Maybe at some point I will actually change my router and the problem will hopefully be fully solved (by the way I currently have a Linksys router).

SnYCZ
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Glad it worked for you!  FYI my old router was a linksys WRT54G which is notorious for dropping connections. My new router is a Linksys WRT 3200 ACM and has only dropped the tv connection once in about 2 months. 

0 Likes
user8q0PKtXLB5
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

The difference here is that my connection never drops when the TV is turn-on and being used.  It has only disconnected with the set is turned-off and turned-on again.  That is why I have always viewed this as something more than just an issue with the signal.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

We're glad that you're up and running 🙂

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
user8q0PKtXLB5
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thank you.  But the question remains as to why the set won't connect to the internet with a normal power-on and will only automatically connect with a reboot. 

userJ7gJ0CEYdw
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have just purchased a new samsung 50 uhd and have the same problem, when the tv is turned on again it looses its internet connection so I have to switch it off at the wall and back on again then it will reconnect. It annoys me no end.