JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to Turn off auto-detect HDMI

(Topic created: 05-24-2017 05:42 PM)
CNMark
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

How do you turn off the auto-detect HDMI feature? Sometimes my Apple TV comes on and then the TV automatically turns on as well but I don't want the TV to do so. How do you turn off this feature?

Thanks,

Mark

536 Replies
userp1Awfz2Xgo
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Very interesting.

As the article says, It's a bit vague ... but fingers crossed Samsung have listened to us and this firmware update will work.

useranXT2n4VLq
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Let's hope so.  I use my TV as a PC monitor and for that purpose it works very well, but every dang time I turn the computer on or wake it up from sleep, the TV takes it off PC mode and switches it to HDMI.  So annoying to have to go and tell it... no... I still want it on PC.

userrdwLp8NhPG
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Samsung announced a firmware update to address this issue I think today.  Coming out this summer. There's an article about It here!  

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/24/samsung-announces-tv-firmware-update-to-help-switch-owners/com...

Samsung_Stephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hey guys, Sorry it's been a while since I've posted but I have been working hard with our engineering/development team to get some answers for you guys. I can confirm that the article posted about from TheVerge is true. Samsung is indeed issuing an update around summertime but are still working with teammates to get an exact date of release. Thank you guys for sticking with me and I promise as soon as I have the exact dates and information I will update you here. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Ransom Seraph
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I am not sure if this is fully the same issue- but I can't stand the TV's behavior when it automatically switches HDMI SOURCE TYPE from whatever I manually set- to PC MODE, RECEIVER,  HOME THEATER and so on - every time I turn on the TV.

I want to be able to lock my HDMI Source type and Name to GAME CONSOLE- But the 'smart' TV keeps changing the name I MANUALLY GAVE IT- and the TYPE  from Game Console- which is best for gaming- to whatever it feels like

usernJsbe9Zkg1
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

@userhY1U1YpWJe wrote:

I am not sure if this is fully the same issue- but I can't stand the TV's  behavior when it automatically switches HDMI SOURCE TYPE from whatever I manually set- to PC MODE, RECEIVER,  HOME THEATER and so on - every time I turn on the TV.

I want to be able to lock my HDMI Source type and Name to GAME CONSOLE- But the  'smart' TV keeps changing the name I MANUALLY GAVE IT- and the TYPE  from Game Console- which is best for gaming- to whatever it feels like

It's not perfectly clear if that is the same issue or just a similar issue. If you read my first post, there are two automatic input behaviors here, both are annoying (which one is MORE annoying depends on your configuration).

1. One issue is that the HDMI source automatically switches when something comes online. So, if you are playing a game and turn on your DVD player to watch a DVD LATER, it will immediately change sources (and you die in your game, or whatever). This might not be so terrible, but the TV is slow to change sources, so it's not possible to immedaiately bring what you were doing back. This seems to be an incredibly poorly planned feature.
  2. The second issue is that the TV renames HDMI sources pretty much constantly. This behavior is crazy. I can understand that someone (incorrectly) thought the automatic HDMI switching would be nice, but not the input renaming. Maybe I don't understand Korean consumers, but I simply do not know how this passed QA. Who in their right mind actually WANTS this behavior? You have to mess with the inputs MUCH MORE this way, because they constantly (daily or more) resetting the settings to something you didn't want (in my case, the TV gets dimmer, so I have to go manually change the icon and name back several times a week).

It's possible these behaviors are related; it's possible they are not. My nightmare scenario is that Samsung fixes issues #1, but not #2. They are definitely going to fix #1, because it's simply brain dead unacceptable. But, please, Samsung, fix #2 too!

0 Likes
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

It is a relief to know I'm not the only one & this isn't the result of me receiving a defective TV. The reason I bought my Samsung UHD (besides upgrading from Vizio FHD) is b/c of the capability to wirelessly broadcast video media from my PC to the TV (Vizio hadn't mastered this). Loved the idea so much I replaced both my living room TV and bedroom TV. Bedroom TV is still a winner.... But the situation with my living room TV having a receiver & PC patched into it - with this oddball source auto-switch - is a nightmare. I thought I'd just muffed up somewhere; reading now that it's a deliberate setting implemented by Samsung, with no option to disable or modify, really upsets me.

Which would be easier for them? To add an option for disabling this setting entirely? Or to give modification control? For instance: the issue I face is that my receiver is used for Blu Ray player + gaming console... but it's most frequently used for my 6.1 audio setup to watch broadcast television. So it sucks that I turn the receiver on to get better audio for a sporting event and the TV switches to HDMI 2; so I have to press remote buttons and flip it back. Ideally this auto-switch option could just be disabled; but to me it'd also be acceptable if I could choose which source setting the device activated. If I could make my receiver (patched to HDMI 2) trigger "HDMI 1" (my cable box) as its default, then it'd be zero problem for me.

Having stumbled across this discussion a few weeks ago, I've been forced to give inquiring minds negative feedback about Samsung - I've had several friends & family looking to buy new TVs recently. I don't want to lead anyone into suffering the same aggravation that folks have expressed here: I hope & pray that Samsung takes these comments seriously and makes the desired changes. It sounds like they made their decision to implement this based from opinions of ppl who are media-deficient & know nothing about how modern living room media setups are done.

0 Likes
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

It is a relief to know I'm not the only one & this isn't the result of me receiving a defective TV. The reason I bought my Samsung UHD (besides upgrading from Vizio FHD) is b/c of the capability to wirelessly broadcast video media from my PC to the TV (Vizio hadn't mastered this). Loved the idea so much I replaced both my living room TV and bedroom TV. Bedroom TV is still a winner.... But the situation with my living room TV having a receiver & PC patched into it - with this oddball source auto-switch - is a nightmare. I thought I'd just muffed up somewhere; reading now that it's a deliberate setting implemented by Samsung, with no option to disable or modify, really upsets me.

Which would be easier for them? To add an option for disabling this setting entirely? Or to give modification control? For instance: the issue I face is that my receiver is used for Blu Ray player + gaming console... but it's most frequently used for my 6.1 audio setup to hear broadcast television (HDMI 1). So it sucks that I turn the receiver on to get better audio for a sporting event, and the TV switches to HDMI 2; so I have to press remote buttons and flip it back. Ideally this auto-switch option could just be disabled; but to me it'd also be acceptable if I could choose which source the powering device activated. If I could make my receiver (patched to HDMI 2) trigger "HDMI 1" (my cable box) as its default, then it'd be zero problem for me.

Having stumbled across this discussion a few weeks ago, I've been forced to give inquiring minds negative feedback about Samsung - I've had several friends & family looking to buy new TVs recently. I don't want to lead anyone into suffering the same aggravation that myself & other folks have expressed here: I hope & pray that Samsung takes these comments seriously and makes the desired changes. It sounds like they made their decision to implement this based from opinions of ppl who are media-deficient & know nothing about how modern living room media setups are done.

0 Likes
userig3xKI3Fty
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

0 Likes
Amerika
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22525/p/897

"Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode"

So, not a fix from Samsung but at least something from Nintendo to help with one piece of hardware out of many.