SA_
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I just purchased a 65" Samsung TV UN65TU700DFXZA 7 Series

On Page 18 of the User Manual, it states:

"To connect a LAN Cable, use a CAT 7 (*STP type) cable for the connection."

*Shielded Twisted Pair

I have Fiber Optic Internet Service (80 Mbps) & 1 of 2 Apple Airport Extreme Routers in the house is within 3 feet of the TV.

The TV is connected to that Router with a 6' CAT 6 cable.

The Fiber Optic Service comes into my attic on a CAT 5e (?) Cable

So, I am not sure that a CAT 7 LAN cable would provide any benefit at all.

All comments are appreciated 

Samsung 65" TV
Model UN65TU700DFXZA
4 Replies
Oxford
Black Hole
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
Try it with your cat 6 cable, the worst that it's probably going to do is give you a lower quality picture.
SA_
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

The Cat 7 or Cat 6 cable is to connect the TV to the internet.

No matter which cable I use should not have anything to do with the picture quality.

Or. am I missing something here?  

Samsung 65" TV
Model UN65TU700DFXZA
0 Likes
SA_
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Does anyone know why Samsung would specifically recommend a CAT 7 cable for this & similar TVs?

I would assume that the internet service into most homes would be CAT 6 or lower.

I just don't see how adding a CAT 7 cable at the end of that internet service (between the Router & the TV) would add any benefit - unless the cables before it are all also CAT 7

And no one would replace all of their existing cables just because a TV requires CAT 7

Samsung 65" TV
Model UN65TU700DFXZA
0 Likes
Biggus
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
LG TVs say this too, but they're using ethernet adapters that only do 100Mb like Samsung. CAT7 was made to support 10Gb over 100m distances and isn't even needed for 10Gb since 6 supports it for 55m and 6a supports it for 100m (and most people don't run 10Gb links across their house).

The only thing I can think of is that they're assuming in-wall runs very close to AC power lines and the extra shielding might be beneficial. CAT 5e is sufficient for gigabit and 2.5G and once again, these TVs all use stone age adapters so a ripped up CAT5e cable with exposed copper probably won't show any speed drop.