Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: 2017 Samsung MU8000 Turns itself on

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@LBCdirtyD wrote:
Have you made sure Auto Off isn't turned on under Eco Settings?

Yes. And the tvs, at least mine, isn't turning off it's turning on by itself.  Most of the time in the middle of the night. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: 2017 Samsung MU8000 Turns itself on >> Figured it out

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This problem is caused when your cable provider broadcasts software updates to the setbox in your home.  Your TV is smart enough to sense the update, even when it is off.  Next, the TV's operating system is programmed to turn on the TV to capture updates WHEN they occur.  The catch is that your cable provider sends these updates in the early morning hours.  

The fix, well a workaround really, is to unplug the HDMI cable running from the setbox to the TV.  You have to do this EVERY night.  And, be ABSOLUTELY sure to do this if you are leaving your home for an extended period of time, else the TV will be on when you return home ... assuming that in 3 weeks of continuous operation it has not caught fire and burned your home down.

After all, these are the same guys with the exploding Galaxy.

The real fix for this will be for Samsung to updtate its operating system, so that the TV, when it receives updates, stores the executable code, then installs it only when you, the user, turns on the power.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a 32" Samsung tv on second floor, smart tv and a sony tv on the first floor both using Optimum cable boxes. 

Both tv turned on at the same time at 12:20am and again 6:20am ?????

Thought it might a cable box issue. But after reading many posts, I don't know.

The first floor tv is not a smart tv.

Why is this happening?

JFP

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Had the same issue.

Recently bought a Sonysound bar connect to TV and TV turned on by itself almost every night. This is so annoying...so ONLY Samsung soundbar is campatible with Samsung TV? Ridiculous!!

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Really beginning to wish i hadnt bought a samsung tv. After coming from a Toshiba lcd with no issues for nigh on 10 years i never expected this much hassle with a " next generation television" Im absolutely certain this is a hdmi-cec issue. When my ps4 is on the picture randomly switches off then on again (with and without hdr games) The tv switches off and on with bt youview humax box. Also tv switches off and on even watching the inbuilt youtube app. My amplifier constantly loses control of volume control with the smart remote and needs resynced to anynet. Doesnt matter which hdmi i am using this happens on all sources. My FW is up to date, hdmi cables all hdcp 2.2 compatible and i have automatic updates switched off. Also tv still decides to switch itself on during the middle of the night. I have very little faith in this being resolved by FW updates given the lack of official response via this offficial support platform. An official response would be appreciated before i have to go through the "kiddy steps" via phone with samsung support.
Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I would be happy to look into this for you. Please send us a private message to http://bit.ly/2CGMMUe with your phone number as well as the model number and serial number of the unit.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are having the same issue with a Samsung sound bar. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: 2017 Samsung MU8000 Turns itself on >> Here is the reason it is happening and the workaround

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought an MU800 thrree days ago and on the first night I had it was wakened at 3:30 by the TV turning itself on.  I turned it off and about an hour later it did it again.  The same drill last night.  Pretty annoying.

Here's what's going ... cable providers broadcast updates in the early morning hours when their networks are quiet.  The Smart TV, even though it is off, senses the update and, to capture it, turns itself on.  This happens every time the provider sends an update, which is pretty much every day and ususally more than once a day, or early morning I should say.

The workaround is to disconnect the HDMI cable running from your cable box to the TV.  It works.

I did share with Samsung that the use case whereby to update itself the TV wakes up the customer multiple times a night is a pretty lame use case and that someone should be fired ;-).  The optimal use case is for the unit to wait until powered on by the customer, to retrieve updates.  Duh ...

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: 2017 Samsung MU8000 Turns itself on >> Here is the reason it is happening and the workarou

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did they come with a fix for this? I saw a warning come up in the middle of he night which said something like “a network setting has changed, device will restart”

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: 2017 Samsung MU8000 Turns itself on >> Here is the reason it is happening and the workarou

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am gathering their fix for this is to disable the anynet functionality (one of the value-adds) of the tv.  Rather than fix the software, Samsung approach is to reduce the functionality of the tv.