cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userYLd1odQvdS
Astronaut

Re: 2017 Samsung MU8000 Turns itself on

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My Adventure with a Samsung 4K TV (Model: UE43MU6100)

About a month ago, I bought a 4K TV for my house. It is a good overall TV; however I am very disappointed with the problems that plague this TV and most of all the unwillingness of Samsung agents in Europe to help.

The very first week I started noticing issues between my TV and the sound bar. It is a Sony sound bar, but a good one. I was able to plug it in by optical cable and started facing issues in which the sound breaks at certain points. Then I tried connecting the TV to the sound bar via Bluetooth. Same issue arises. Finally, I was able to connect the sound bar via HDMI cable, through the HDMI-ARC port. It started working like a charm, but then the real issues started.

The TV started turning on by itself. I would go to work and found the TV on, sleeping and it goes on, there was no frequency. I played around with connections. Checked all the settings on the peripherals connected to the TV. I made sure that there was nothing waking up the TV. I formatted the TV. I formatted it again to its factory settings. Nothing worked. Then I finally understood what was going on. There was an issue with an option called Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). This option allows you to control all of your peripherals with the TV remote. When I deactivate this option, then the TV does not turn on. But then, my sound bar does not work via HDMI. So basically I do not have a Sound Bar. It’s safe to say that this is the first time I have this issue with my peripherals. Both my Sound Bar and PS4 have been with me for a very long time.

Finally I started contacting Samsung. First contact they made me reset the TV again. Second contact they set up an appointment for a remote intervention, which all the operator did was reset the TV again. According to them this was a completely different reset. Third contact the agent decided that he was going to send a technician over to my house. Asked for all my preferences and I never got a call from the technician. Fourth contact: Turns out the agent never placed the order for a technician to contact me so I had to do it all over again. I work afternoons so again I gave when asked my preference to have the technician come over to my house in the morning. Fifth: Contact the technician calls me telling me they will pass by my house during work hours, I tell them about the option I selected from the ones given by the agent. The guy said they do not work in the mornings. Only 12:00 – 18:00. If I wanted to have it checked in the morning I needed to take the TV by myself to them. I don’t have a car, so it is pretty dangerous to move a 43 inch TV by train and taxis are expensive. So I had to agree to their appointment and have my wife stay with the technician. She is not very familiar with technology, so as you may all know, we both thought the best idea was for me to be there, but I couldn’t. Sixth interaction the technician comes to my house. He doesn’t even say anything and starts changing the main board of the TV. Guys, the technician did not check anything. He replaced the thing, I don’t know if it was a new mainboard or a used one. Or what happened. No testing. No finding out what the issue was. Came home, replaced and left. Problem solved. Well, no. The very same day TV started turning on again. Seventh contact: According to them I have a new TV, because you know he replaced the main board. Yeah right, but the issue is not corrected. They say they will have someone from the technical team contact me again. No one calls. Eighth contact: I have to call back. This time the agent starts questioning the compatibility and proper functioning of my peripherals. Except that I have had them for over 4 years and this kind of issues have never happened to me. PS4 has HDMI link as well as the Sound Bar. I explain the agent it is a problem with the ARC port. I don’t care about everything working with one remote, but I need to have the sound bar connected via HDMI. So they recommend me the following to solve the problem:

1. Disconnect all peripherals when not using the TV.
  2. Disconnect the TV.
  3. Send the technician again, but this time I have to pay.

According to the agent he said that there might be some compatibility issues between the TV and the sound bar, since they are different brands. If that’s the case then why not tell people that your TV does not work with other peripherals. Those options given are not solutions. I can’t change the TV. This is all very frustrating. The price on the TV was 550 Euros.  Not the more expensive, but this is not cheap. I am very disappointed with Samsung. I went into the forums and found out I am not the only one with either this issue or other issues that are even worst guys and people write in the forums and don’t get answers. So I decided to post this review on every single site. So that I could prevent people from buying this TV.

TL;DR: The TV turns on by itself. Samsung has done nothing to solve the issue. They want me to pay now to have a tech come to my house for the second time.

userdaXrHyIvm1
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's unbelieveable how Samsung still has these problems.

I have 55ES7000 from 2012 and it still turn itself on after 2 hours of inactivity. I don't know if these newer ones have different problem for these symptoms, but for this 2012 model it's a bug in the tv's auto updating section: You can't turn the auto update off! Well you can select "Off" from the menu, but it's just the same thing as "2 hours later".

Funniest thing is that when you switch on the TV yourself and go to the auto update menu it shows "Off" when you have selected it like that, but when you hear the TV clicking on all by itself and then press stand by to turn the screen on and go to the firmware auto update menu, it shows "2 hours later" even though you have selected "Off" last time. But if the TV has enough time to complete this auto update check before you turn the screen on then it again shows "Off" even though it could have been on by itself just seconds ago. It works like some trojan agent on the background.

We don't have OTA or OTC updates here in Finland, so this problem is frustratingly pointless. This bug has been with all firmware versions since year 2012 to this day. I've made countless reports to local technical support and even had email-conversation with technical staff in their factory. The problem is that they don't understand a thing I'm trying to say. They just ask me to do a factory reset which as many of you know doesn't help. This bug must apply to millions of Samsung TV's and still after all these years these clueless people can't fix this annoying problem.

I kind of solved this problem with a remote controlled wall socket after the TV fried my USB drive connected to it with all these unnecessary power ons and offs. Can't find any other way around it, so I'll cut the power entirely from the socket every time I switch off the TV.

userrnL1JBYbeH
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can't believe this is still ongoing. MU7000 here that has been turning itself on ever since turning on the anynet+ connectivity. 

Could be the PlayStation, could be the sound bar, but both devices worked perfectly well through another TV with no such issue. Really shameful support from Samsung - other manufacturers can get anynet+ to work properly, so it shouldn't be that hard!

userdaXrHyIvm1
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Because many people have these symptoms without any peripherals or even anynet hdmi-cec enabled, it could also be a problem in the MU-series software update code. It's possible that the symptoms just are more easy to see and hear when your peripherals suddenly spring into action and somehow make the screen turn on also. I would recommend that if you have fixed time options to choose for software/firmware updates, try those and see if it stops your TV to turn on randomly in the middle of the night. Just remember that "Off" may not be a viable option to fix it.

user624bWSgZj6
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am writing this to anyone that may have a roku or similar device. I purchased the MU8500. Same TV just has the curved screen. I found my tv turning on by itself. Here is my set up: Sony str-hd590 4k Receiver into hdmi 4 with arc cec. All devices plugged into receiver. I found that for me the problem lied with my roku streaming stick+. All of the roku devices are always on. They do not have a power switch or button. They stay on all the time. A lot of TV sticks are like this. Since it is always on it is always sending a power signal to my receiver which in turn is sending to my TV. To solve this issue, I purchased myself a 4k HDMI switch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z6Z2NY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This places a barrier between my receiver and my roku. So now I have my Roku, and Xbox One S plugged into this handy little switch. Then the switch is plugged into my receiver. My TV no longer turns itself on. The best part is that I can now use my Samsung remote as my only remote as Samsung intended. This little barrier between the switch and the Receiver make it so that a power signal is not sent to the tv by my Roku. Like I said this will be the same with any streaming device that can't be turned off. Examples include Roku, Chromecast, Amazon TV, etc. 

So to recap, plug devices into the switch, plug the switch into the receiver, and finally the receiver to the TV. The switch comes with a remote so you can switch between channels, but it is smart enought to switch based on what one is being used. (Most of the time). I can still controll all these devices with my Samsung remote because the switch supports CEC. For some reason this extra step between switch and receiver help better controll on signals coming from streaming devices. 

As proof that the roku was the problem and not the TV I just unplugged the roku and set everything else up as normal and never had my TV turn on by itself. I thought about how I could keep my roku from doing this to my tv all the time and the switch is the solution. 

Again to anyone having problems with the tv turning on by itself...If you have a device like a roku, chromecast, or amazon tv, or some type of device that never turns off, this could be the cause of your stress. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Viryu
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have 2 hdmi devices, PS4 Pro and a soundbar. While the soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC, the TV turns itself on. If I switch it to HDMI and Optical, the TV still turns itself on after some time, so I'm forced to use optical and the soundbars remote. You're saying that with switch you could use the TVs remote as one, which is nice. Would you know if there was a device similar to this switch, but much smaller? I'd only need one HDMI port for the soundbar, to fix the TVs bug, preferably one that wouldn't need an external power source.

RayneR
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It looks like my 55MU6645 it's doing the same thing but as far as I am aware it was triggered by something on my Galaxy S8 when the TV turned itself on there was on the TV in the notification bar was written something like this " smart things(or similar? Can't remember the exact words) is asking to add new device accept  reject  ".

But I find it odd is that sometimes when I turn on my TV and almost in the first 4 or 5 seconds the TV turns itself off?? 

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am sorry to hear that you are having this experience with your TV.  We definitely need to try some troubleshooting steps so we can try to isolate the issue better. I have attached some troubleshooting links below for your particular model. Please inform me of the outcome.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Try these steps

1. Disconnect your one connect box from the TV Set
    • Once disconnected from the TV what do you see on the screen, and does the issue still happen?
user099Z14gtBe
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought my Samsung TV 2 months ago and I  notice since the new update my TV has been turning on and off by itself. I have read and followed directions from this tread and it still continues to fail. Also I have unplug all other devices while it’s happening and it still continues . Pls Samsung, this is really a burden to everyone.