cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickatk
Cosmic Ray

Apple TV and Airplay

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yesterday I discovered the Apple TV app sitting in my apps folder on my NU8000-55 (2018 Canada). What a nice surprise! I gather this release coincides with Apple’s iOS update to 12.3. Everything seems to be working fine. My library, containing my previous downloads and purchases, is present. iTunes movies rentals is there and pretty much all the content you would expect to see in the Apple TV app is working.

Airplay kept calling for a code which a reboot of my iPad addressed. For some reason I couldn’t figure out how to input the code into the iPad Airplay settings, but the reboot worked! Airplay mirroring works nicely.

iTunes is where I go for movie rentals especially since I can download HDR 5.1 titles, something other sources doesn’t offer. Atmos titles and the Atmos section in iTunes movie rentals are missing on the Samsung version of Apple TV. 

Apple TV on Samsung TV is great news. The app complements the other apps on the TV, some (Netflix, Prime and YouTube) are streaming in HDR. Netflix is now streaming HQ Audio on DD5.1 and Atmos titles. I held off buying a 4K Apple TV to see how this Apple TV app plays out. So far so good!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
rickatk
Cosmic Ray

Re: Apple TV and Airplay

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update:

After using the Apple TV app and Airplay on my 8000 series TV,  I can report that overall I am pretty satisfied with this first version. The app seems stable enough and works as expected. The interface is pretty much the same as the iOS and tvOS version. Renting movies, the main reason I use the app, works really well. I am most excited about the fact I can rent and watch 4K HDR titles without any special hardware or HDMI cables. The app is fairly well integrated to my iCloud content as far as the library is concerned. Airplay works very well, straight out of the gate. Nicely done Samsung and Apple.

There are a few shortcomings to the app however.

Not all the content was viewable. Restarting the app helped but for the most part none of the paid subscription services I have like Netflix, Crave TV and HBO Canada, Starz or Prime are integrated in the Samsung Apple TV version of the app. There are four live news shows that are not working: CBC, CTV, CBS and Cheddar.

The  iOS version of ATV everything is working and the app gives viewing options, recognizing my paid subscriptions and installed streaming apps like CBC Gem, Crave TV, Prime and alike. Netflix is not included right now, but that has been well published.  Fair to say that as far as a content aggregator  goes, the Samsung TV version of the ATV app fails. Hopefully this is just growing pains.

For acquiring content like renting movies and tv shows and accessing my previously purchased content stored in the library, the app is smooth as silk. The picture and sound is excellent!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
rickatk
Cosmic Ray

Re: Apple TV and Airplay

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update:

After using the Apple TV app and Airplay on my 8000 series TV,  I can report that overall I am pretty satisfied with this first version. The app seems stable enough and works as expected. The interface is pretty much the same as the iOS and tvOS version. Renting movies, the main reason I use the app, works really well. I am most excited about the fact I can rent and watch 4K HDR titles without any special hardware or HDMI cables. The app is fairly well integrated to my iCloud content as far as the library is concerned. Airplay works very well, straight out of the gate. Nicely done Samsung and Apple.

There are a few shortcomings to the app however.

Not all the content was viewable. Restarting the app helped but for the most part none of the paid subscription services I have like Netflix, Crave TV and HBO Canada, Starz or Prime are integrated in the Samsung Apple TV version of the app. There are four live news shows that are not working: CBC, CTV, CBS and Cheddar.

The  iOS version of ATV everything is working and the app gives viewing options, recognizing my paid subscriptions and installed streaming apps like CBC Gem, Crave TV, Prime and alike. Netflix is not included right now, but that has been well published.  Fair to say that as far as a content aggregator  goes, the Samsung TV version of the ATV app fails. Hopefully this is just growing pains.

For acquiring content like renting movies and tv shows and accessing my previously purchased content stored in the library, the app is smooth as silk. The picture and sound is excellent!