cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I have a brand new 50" 7 Series smart TV. UN50TU7000FXZA. The TV will be fine and then I will power on the TV and all i see is a black screen with sound. I then unplugged the TV and HDMI cable from the Dish Network Hopper and waited. I powered it up and it was fine. After turning the TV on and off a few more times, I had the same thing happen with the black screen. Turning the power on and off did not correct the issue. Also, when turning the TV on while it was working, occasionally it tell me that i had to turn my Dish box on, but it was already on. This occurs across all sources. Any idesa before I return the TV.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When your TV has a black screen even when it's on, it's quite possible it could actually be your external device and not your TV. If your TV is connected using a One Connect Box, there are a couple of extra steps to troubleshoot.

1. Tv without the one connect box has no picture

·Press the Home (Menu) button on the remote.

• If the menu appears, the TV is powered on but is either not on the correct source or not receiving a signal.
  • If the menu does not appear, the TV may be having power issues. 

Confirm the TV is set to the same source as the external device.

• For instance, if your cable box is connected to HDMI 1, set the TV source to HDMI 1.
  • If the TV is set to the correct source, but there is still no image, unplug and reconnect the AV connections one cable at a time, from both ends of each cable. If there's any damage to the cable, it will need to be replaced.

Test the HDMI cable.

• To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.

Test different external devices.

• The final thing to rule out is the external device you're using. Try connecting a different device, or using a different source port. If you were unable to test the cable in the previous step, then try swapping the cable, too.
  • If the TV can display a picture in any other setup, then you've ruled the TV out as the cause of the issue. Keep trying various setups until you identify the device or cable that is not working, and troubleshoot or replace it.

If there is still no picture, use the following link to find a list of service centers near that can do the in/out of warranty repair. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I will test the HDMI cable tonight, however it is worth noting that when I select the Home or Settings button the screen remains black. Also, if I select the Netflix or Prime buttons while the screen is black and there is sound, the screen remains black. After waiting a few hours and trying to turn on the TV again it remains black. I have to disconnect the power cable and HDMI for a bit, and then it turns on fine, but it reverts back to the black screen after a few on/off cycles.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The HDMI cable is fine. TV is still turing on with a black screen and sound. Unable to access any menu items. Unplugged pwer cable and HDMI cable and waitited a few muniutes, the TV powered with a balck screen again. I have since returned this TV, it was only 2 days old. It shouldn't be this difficult. Is this a common  issue with these new Samsung 2020 4K Smart TV's. UN50TU7000FXZA is the model number. Wouls like to know before I decide to switch brands. Recommendations?

Thank You

Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wanted to chime in with my specific setup and what appears to have resolved the HDMI dropouts.

Samsung Q60R

PS4 Pro

HDMI over Catalyst AV 1080P HDBaseT extender on Cat5e cable

HDBaseT extender powered at transmitter, passive at receiver

This setup worked flawlessly on a 2012 Samsung 1080P 55" set. The Q60R bluntly refused to connect at all initially. Here's the steps I took.

1. Reboot PS4 in safe mode (Hold power button until it beeps a second time)

2. Set PS4 resolution to 1080P (since my extender is 1080P - I understand I'm not getting the 4k and need to upgrade my extender)

3. Reboot PS4

This got the PS4 to connect, but after 20 or so minutes would start to periodically drop the connection, showing a spinner on a black screen followed by the 'check source' screen.  Through trial and error I found that the following worked to resolve the intermitent disconnects:

4. Turn off HDR on the Playstation 4 video options.

It's frustrating that my 7 year old mid-range (at the time) TV handled this just fine out of the box, but understand I'm forcing a 1080P signal into a 4k world. However, the "smart" input selection on the Samsung is infuriating at best, and between this and the infuriating ads in the UI, I'll likely be returning this set and switching to another brand.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi everyone, I have a samsung le46c580j1kxxu and the screen went black but then after switching it off and on again it came back no problems. This went on for a while until everytime I switched it on it would flicker and go black. Sound has not been a problem at all.
What I have done is to replace the Tcon board and this did not work so i have now changed the main powerboard as I was thinking it was one of the picture inverters. Once I plugged it in it was good... I then put the tv back together again and turned it on and the picture came on and then started to flicker and went black. It did this around 5 times and then on the 6th time the picture stayed on. 
Doing a flashlight test I think I could see shadows on the screen. 
Anyone have any idea as to what this could be... it is very intermittent and that is what I cannot understand.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you so much for reaching out! This forum is for the support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link: http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry  Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi everyone, it is discouraging to see that this problem has been there for years and unfortunately I have been having the same problem with my TV (un55ku650dfxza) for the last 3-4 months:
The screen goes black (if you look close and careful enough, actually you see the image is there) with no interruption to the sound. It happens regardless of the source (Apple TV, Netflix app of my TV, Live TV via off the air antenna...), so definitely HDMI cable is not the main problem. I have read that some people tried to replacing the motherboard, but the problem came back. Turning off TV, disconnecting it etc. provided some temporary solution, but it always comes back. Is there any solution that fixed this black screen problem? 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When your TV has a black screen even when it's on, it's quite possible it could actually be your external device and not your TV. If your TV is connected using a One Connect Box, there are a couple of extra steps to troubleshoot.

1. Tv without the one connect box has no picture

·Press the Home (Menu) button on the remote.

• If the menu appears, the TV is powered on but is either not on the correct source or not receiving a signal.
  • If the menu does not appear, the TV may be having power issues. 

Confirm the TV is set to the same source as the external device.

• For instance, if your cable box is connected to HDMI 1, set the TV source to HDMI 1.
  • If the TV is set to the correct source, but there is still no image, unplug and reconnect the AV connections one cable at a time, from both ends of each cable. If there's any damage to the cable, it will need to be replaced.

Test the HDMI cable.

• To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.

Test different external devices.

• The final thing to rule out is the external device you're using. Try connecting a different device, or using a different source port. If you were unable to test the cable in the previous step, then try swapping the cable, too.
  • If the TV can display a picture in any other setup, then you've ruled the TV out as the cause of the issue. Keep trying various setups until you identify the device or cable that is not working, and troubleshoot or replace it.

If there is still no picture, use the following link to find a list of service centers near that can do the in/out of warranty repair. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location