JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Black screen periodically

(Topic created on: 5/27/18 10:34 AM)
djred24
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I purchased my Samsung 40 inch 4K TV in Novemember 2015.  After a short while I noticed the screen would just go black, sound but no picture.  I called and they set up a repair for March 3, 2016.  They fixed the problem, now it is 

happening again.  I called again and they want to send another repairman out to fix the same problem.  They already replaced the main panel when they came out.  I want a new TV and am having a hard time with customer service.  I have asked for a manager to return my call but no one has.  I would like to have this problem resolved asap.  

968 Replies
DaveB2
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Thanks for the advice.  How do you do that after 9 months?  TV was bought at BestBuy.  I can't even add a service plan anymore.

0 Likes
alienman101
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs
By the way, their "solution" is to have the tv sent away for service!
0 Likes
userEKRc7Fr59x
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

My tv is having his issue. They replaced the one connect box and that did nothing. I have a $1400 piece of junk. This is clearly a manufacturer defect. I want my tv refunded. 

0 Likes
Mydesign4u
Halo
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Hello,

May ask who your TV provider is? I also changed out the one connect box which made no difference. All new HDMI cables as well. 

0 Likes
userIcz076CYEP
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Thanks for letting us know that nothing fixes this.  We bought a 75 inch Tv  March 2018 and noticed this issue but lived with it.  Just bought a 40inch  May 2018 and its doing it every 10/15mins - will be fighting to get my money back

0 Likes
usereQldFSeoVw
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Hi All,

I want to share my compromised solution that seemed to work for me. 

My setup is the following.

TV = Samsung UN75J6300 75-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV
Receiver = Yamaha RX-V777BT 7.2-Channel
DVD Player = Sony BDPS5500 3D Blu-Ray Player (2015 Model)

35ft of high speed HDMI cable from tv outlet to wall outlet, 

6 ft of high speed HDMI cable from receiver wall outlet to receiver

3 ft of high speed HDMI cable from blue ray player to receiver 

100ft Ethernet cable is hooked up to TV directly from router. 

I experienced a short blackout on the TV anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes randomly.  This would repeat for the entire length of a movie.

The problem seems to be a bandwidth issue with the Samsung TV and the HDMI - ARC input/output and having 3 devices total.  TV, receiver, and something hooked up to receiver. 

The problem never happens when I watch internet TV from smart hub using ethernet, and HDMI-ARC only powers volume on the receiver. 

I don't use my TV for gaming, but if you read the reviews, anyone that switches from high def (1048p) to standard def (720P) does not experience the issue. (ie. reduced bandwidth over the HDMI-ARC cable is what I believe fixed this)

I only use my TV to watch movies, but these compromised solutions work.

1. Don't use HDMI-ARC, but just regular HDMI on receiver output and TV input.  What you lose is the ability to control your receiver's volume and blue ray player with a single remote.  I think this works because you've reduced the data to a single direction 1080P output only.  Your not passing any data back to control the volume or blue ray player.  I can't use this solution because due to where my receiver and blue ray player are located, plus its annoying using 3 remotes. 

2. Reduce the resolution from the output device to the receiver.  In my scenario, if I keep the hookup to the HDMI-ARC, but reduce the resolution on the blue ray player to 720P, I still have control of the volume on my receiver, and the ability to stop/play/fast forward/rewind of my blue ray player using the Samsung remote.   I notice the reduced picture quality on the TV and didn't go with this solution. 

3. The solution I chose was the following....

I was able to switch my blueray player from 1080p to 1080i (again reduced bandwidth) since 1080i only sends half the information at any instant in time per frame rate, but I still maintain decent high quality picture.  I was still able to use the HDMI-ARC cable to control the receiver volume, and stop/play/fast forward/rewind of my blue ray player using the single Samsung remote.   

In the 3 solutions above I didn't experience any blakouts on the TV.

I'm not an expert in the area of blue ray players, receivers, or TV's, but wanted to share my experience in case one of these compromised solutions works for them. 

keith j.

usereQldFSeoVw
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Someone liked this update, so I figured I'd put another update in.
Its been 10 months without a single blackout using the compromised solution above.   The solution above only allowed my blue ray player to work without a blackout.

Since then I hooked other stuff up to my receiver such as a chromecast and other input devices.   I later found out that I could configure the receiver (Yamaha RX-V777BT 7.2-Channel) to force all output to 1080i which allowed any input device to function without a blackout. 

Its still a compromise solution, but I haven't noticed any difference in picture quality.   I hope this solution helps someone else, I know how frustrating this was when I first encountered it.

keith j.

0 Likes
Mojorich
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

This same thing is happening to our tv!!  It's making us crazy!

0 Likes
Pauley
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

too many having the same issue.  Needs addressed.  I often wonder if it "is" something actually encoded in the signal...

0 Likes
user1elLXBPF9P
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Thanks for all suggestions .... but alas without satisfaction ...

•  I opened the "Extras" and made sure everything on that menu  is off 

•  I changed my HDMI from 4 to 1  (It has been on HDMI 4 since new).

•  I unplugged the TV for 24 hours and while unplugged changed the batteries in my remote.

•  The above is in addition to turning off all the eco settings (I did this some months ago). 

Unfortunately none of these solutions have worked for me ... except for turning off all the eco settings about 6 months ago, which worked for me until two weeks ago. The TV is still turning off and on about an average of every 20-30 minutes ... randomly with no pattern .... i.e. sometimes two or times within 5 minutes ... sometimes it goes an hour without a problem.  It seems that it usually turns itself off at the most inopportune moment ... like when it's 3rd down and one yard to go .....  

I tend to think that the problem is related to internet connection, i.e. TV losing connection and trying to re-establish connection.  I think I will next hard wire (ethernet) the TV into my router and see if that helps. If not I will try to figure out how to completely turn off the internet connection (maybe do "reset" and just not enter any router name or password).  But then of course ... why have a "Smart TV" if it doesn't have internet connection.

I think the final solution is to buy a Sony .... samsung probably copied sony's design anyway and just use cheaper components ...

0 Likes