cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello Fellow Samsung Owners,

I decided not to return the tv yet.  I have two more months on store return policy.  I follow tech's advise on resetting to factory default.  So far since March 11, did not have any issues with blinks except when there is a commercial pause, which I believe is normal.  I also bought a $99.00 protection plan to extend warranty for 3 more years.  Today March 27, I noticed blinking issues again, tried changing channels, same thing.  I unplug and plug the tv power cord for 1 minute, no blink for the last 40 minutes.  I turned it off as there is thunderstorms right now.  Will monitor later.  I love this tv's picture clarity.  Disappointed with Samsung not able to solve this issue that has been going on for over a year.  As mentioned on 1st post, this was manufactured January 2017, they should not let this out of their factory with unresolved issue.

Reply
Loading...
Asteroid

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userGzv5yLP65j wrote:

Hello Fellow Samsung Owners,

I decided not to return the tv yet.  I have two more months on store return policy.  I follow tech's advise on resetting to factory default.  So far since March 11, did not have any issues with blinks except when there is a commercial pause, which I believe is normal.  I also bought a $99.00 protection plan to extend warranty for 3 more years.  Today March 27, I noticed blinking issues again, tried changing channels, same thing.  I unplug and plug the tv power cord for 1 minute, no blink for the last 40 minutes.  I turned it off as there is thunderstorms right now.  Will monitor later.  I love this tv's picture clarity.  Disappointed with Samsung not able to solve this issue that has been going on for over a year.  As mentioned on 1st post, this was manufactured January 2017, they should not let this out of their factory with unresolved issue.


I agree 100%. What is going on with Samsung?? The customer service refuse to even acknowledge this is a growing problem or accept responsibility. They just deliver a template speech to pay even more $ to their qualified samsung service technician because surprise this manufacturing problem occurs as soon as your warranty runs out!

Has the bribery, embezzlement and corruption scandal that resulted in the impeachment of South Korea's President Park Geun-hye and subsequent arrest of Samsung's acting Chief Lee Jae-yong really resulted in a complete break down of quality control and production for this prestigious company? If I wanted subpar product quality and non-existent customer service I would've purchased a cheap no-name manufactured product from China.

Reply
Loading...
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My tv goes black for 2 seconds one time every night for 3 consecutive nights, about almost the same time, 7:59pm on Cards and Cubs game, 7:04pm on Joe Buck show and tonight on hbo movie at 7:46pm.  I am baffled with this Samsung tv.

Reply
Loading...
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, I take it back.  Tonight, my laptop, for whatever reason, apparently decided it was going to shut the screen off, despite the fact I was playing a game (Shovel Knight, for those who care).  So perhaps it wasn't the momentary blackout I saw before I made my settings changes.

 

To the previous poster:  the fact that it's happening at set intervals makes me wonder if it's something related to the Extra feature that's causing it.  I disabled the Instant On feature, the Extra feature (press Extra button, go to settings, disable checkboxes), and the advertising checkbox and viewing history checkboxes under Smart Hub / Terms and Conditions.  That's how I got it to go for quite a while without blanking out, and I'll continue to monitor closely as I come up towards the end of my warranty.

Reply
Loading...
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

 


@SargeSmash wrote:

Well, I take it back.  Tonight, my laptop, for whatever reason, apparently decided it was going to shut the screen off, despite the fact I was playing a game (Shovel Knight, for those who care).  So perhaps it wasn't the momentary blackout I saw before I made my settings changes.

 

To the previous poster:  the fact that it's happening at set intervals makes me wonder if it's something related to the Extra feature that's causing it.  I disabled the Instant On feature, the Extra feature (press Extra button, go to settings, disable checkboxes), and the advertising checkbox and viewing history checkboxes under Smart Hub / Terms and Conditions.  That's how I got it to go for quite a while without blanking out, and I'll continue to monitor closely as I come up towards the end of my warranty.


How do you disable the instant on? I'm not finding an option for that.

Reply
Loading...
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@trickinit wrote:

 


@SargeSmash wrote:

Well, I take it back.  Tonight, my laptop, for whatever reason, apparently decided it was going to shut the screen off, despite the fact I was playing a game (Shovel Knight, for those who care).  So perhaps it wasn't the momentary blackout I saw before I made my settings changes.

 

To the previous poster:  the fact that it's happening at set intervals makes me wonder if it's something related to the Extra feature that's causing it.  I disabled the Instant On feature, the Extra feature (press Extra button, go to settings, disable checkboxes), and the advertising checkbox and viewing history checkboxes under Smart Hub / Terms and Conditions.  That's how I got it to go for quite a while without blanking out, and I'll continue to monitor closely as I come up towards the end of my warranty.


How do you disable the instant on? I'm not finding an option for that.


I think it's under System -> General -> Instant On.  It will make it take a bit longer for your TV to be responsive when you turn it on, so you may want to try without turning it off to see if just the other changes help.

Reply
Loading...
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Glenn, Plese provide your address, telephone number, e-mail address and the place of purchase and we can set this up for you.  


Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Reply
Loading...
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi, I planned to just exchange the set at Costco since I'm within the return window and have a 4 year warranty with them.. When you say "set this up for you" I just want to understand what you mean. Sorry for the questions! Smiley Happy Thank you!
Reply
Loading...
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My JS8500 has the problem where the screen goes black for a second or two no sound either comes back, I have a geek squad warranty,  1st thing they did was mailed me a new one connect and cable, that didn't stop it. They're coming out this Saturday to replace a part in the TV. The black screen sometimes will only show up every 2-3 days and other times once a day but  after spending $2000 on a tv, I'm prepared to go through the 3 repairs required to be able to get a refund and get a different brand. The black screen I'm getting was happening since about a week after owning the tv, I thought it was a firmware problem and stuck with it but now 2 years later it's still a problem, luckily I bought the 5 year warranty.

Reply
Loading...
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I won't send my Samsung in for service, why put money into it?  Samsung needs to quit selling defective TV's.  I will buy Sony!

Reply
Loading...