cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Made an account to say what worked for me. Your problem could be one of two things. 
1) Not enough power to TV or the Device supplying picture.
Solution: Try Different outlits, and a different device.

2) Poor Quality HDMI.
Solution: Try a different NEWER HDMI.

I picked up a newer more expensive HDMI cable even though mine was only a year old.
The new cable solved the problem for me. Now have clear CONSTANT picture.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought my Samsung 40" 4K TV on Jan 1 2019, and it just started doing the occasional black screen thing. I thought it might be the cable box, which was just replaced recently. It eventualy happened so often then went straight to NO Signal.

I tried connecting my blue ray player to another input and that had no signal. I had to uplug the TV to reset it to recognize both devices. The TV continues to go to the black screen on cable box and Blue Ray.

The TV is the common demominator so Im conviced thats where the proble lies.

If I knew how many people have this problem I would have steered clear of Samsung. I expect them to make good on it. If there is a quick fix I'll be happy, but not looking for a run around. Hopefully a replacement or full refund if this cant be corrected quickly.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If your looking for Samsung to help.....good luck! I have 6 Samsung TVs over the past 10 years and 2 with severe problems. I contacted Samsung both times and they were useless. When the TVs work they are beautiful. When you have a problem, the technical support is a nightmare! When my tv finally goes I will be purchasing a Sony. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My UN32M5300 was purchased September 2017. Within days it began to go black for a few seconds intermittently. I have TIVO so I'd have rewind to see what I had missed. It was happening 10 or 12 times a day so I returned it to the dealer for a replacement. The new set [same model] worked for a few weeks when it began doing the same thing, only less often, once or twice a day. I learned to live with it. After the last firmware update, that problem seemed to resolve. It’s only happened maybe three times since then, except now that issue has been replaced by a new one: the sound and remote simultaneously cut off intermittently for no reason. Weirder still, it usually happens in the middle of the night, except yesterday it happened during prime time. I’ll turn on the tv in the middle of the night, all is normal for about a minute or two and then the sound is gone. I try the remote, but nothing works. I have to pull the plug in the back of the set and replace it. Voila everything is back to normal – sound and remote. I’ve searched and see that this seems to be happening to other Samsung owners. It’s got to be the Samsung software for upscale models because I have a dumb Samsung that never has had any issues whatsoever and has worked perfectly since 2014.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My month old QN65Q9FN suddenly began to display the same symptoms as described by many others in this thread where the screen would periodically blank and black out. The set is connected to a Yamaha TSR-7810 receiver which in combination with my beloved previous Samsung plasma never gave a hiccup.  When devices were directly connected to the tv's inputs I did not see the problem so I assumed the issue was coming from the receiver and changed inputs, cables etc to no avail.  I was resigning myself to  having a defective new set.  The issue was even presenting itself when playing  music from the Yamaha's  usb music player.  The mp3s and FLAC files were stored on a Samsung 64GB FIT USB 3.0 flash drive. The music played fine and did not drop out even when the screen blanked. However the flash drive was becoming fussy and stopped being readable  from my computers usb 3.0 ports months ago but worked fine connected to a usb 2 port and in the receiver. Two days ago the drive failed while playing in the receiver.  I replaced the drive with  a spare and my screen has not blanked out since. While certainly not universal it appears a wonky peripheral like a usb drive could be the culprit.  Another  receiver related issue  seems to be HDMI-CEC no longer works with my Fire Stick 4K when it is connected via the Yamaha. At first it worked periodically and now rarely so my Logitech universal is of limited use. It works when plugged directly  to the tv's inputs so this a receiver issue again.  With the Samsung plasma it was finicky but usually could be made to work after a few tries.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Same here

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The power cord is so short, and the tv so big there is no way to plug directly into an outlet.  My outlet is below a large window.  I can't have a tv there.  This is something the buyer should be told before Samsung sells them a tv...that can only work if their short cable can directly reach a wall outlet.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same freaking issues here in DK. it mostly happens when i play stuff on the pc. 4k materials makes it go crazy. and happend after i had display repaired. and after the garanty ran out. seems fishy to me that so many have the same problem.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey everyone,

Same issue here. Samsung 4k tv with hdr. Experience these issues only with my ps4 pro (not Nintendo Switch) because I use HDR. In short, everytime I turn the tv on and then the ps4, it takes 5 to 10 minutes or so and the screen will go black for upwards of 5 seconds, maybe more, and then goes away. Never happens again for that session.

Today I tried a brand new HDMI cable, which is HDMI 2.0 b compliant and with Bandwidth of 18GB/S. While it didn't get rid of the issue entirely, during my tests it definitely happened less often. Sometimes when I played, it never happened at all (and I kept turning off and on to test). My guess is that this faster HDMI cable helps the issue.

SO, what I've done is buy a HDMI 2.1 compliant cable with 48 Gbps speed. Additionally, this cable is only 1 metre long (half the length of the other cable I bought). If my guess is correct, then this new cable I get with triple the speed and half the length, these handshaking black screen issues won't happen at all or even less frequently.

I'll report back soon. Wish me luck!

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey everyone, me again!

After a solid night of testing of my ps4 pro with a brand new a HDMI 2.1 compliant cable with 48 Gbps speed (1 metre in length), I haven't gotten a single black screen! I'm very happy with the result.

I will keep testing over the next week to see if it does happen again, but I genuinely think this is the solution.

So, if there is anybody out there with a Samsung tv and experiencing black screen and audio dropouts periodically with their HDMI devices (especially video game consoles that use HDR like a PS4 Pro or Xbox one), purchase a HDMI 2.1 compliant cable with 48 Gbps speed (at 1 metre length to be safe, but you probably could go up to 2 metres), and see if that helps. At the very least it should reduce the frequency of dropouts, but I haven't had one yet, whereas previously I'd get one every session!

Any moderators that see this, it may be better for you to mark this answer as the solution, as it may help a lot of people out.

Thanks everyone! Have a great weekend.

View solution in original post