cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When your TV has a black screen even when it's on, it's quite possible it could actually be your external device and not your TV. If your TV is connected using a One Connect Box, there are a couple of extra steps to troubleshoot.

1. Tv without the one connect box has no picture

·Press the Home (Menu) button on the remote.

• If the menu appears, the TV is powered on but is either not on the correct source or not receiving a signal.
  • If the menu does not appear, the TV may be having power issues. 

Confirm the TV is set to the same source as the external device.

• For instance, if your cable box is connected to HDMI 1, set the TV source to HDMI 1.
  • If the TV is set to the correct source, but there is still no image, unplug and reconnect the AV connections one cable at a time, from both ends of each cable. If there's any damage to the cable, it will need to be replaced.

Test the HDMI cable.

• To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.

Test different external devices.

• The final thing to rule out is the external device you're using. Try connecting a different device, or using a different source port. If you were unable to test the cable in the previous step, then try swapping the cable, too.
  • If the TV can display a picture in any other setup, then you've ruled the TV out as the cause of the issue. Keep trying various setups until you identify the device or cable that is not working, and troubleshoot or replace it.

If there is still no picture, use the following link to find a list of service centers near that can do the in/out of warranty repair. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I have had a 55 inch UN55TU8000FXZA now since september 2nd. Ever since I got it, it has had this issue that everyone here is describing (everything works perfect, but while playing games on my retropie, or using my pc to watch videos and ocassionaly play games, screen will black out for  like two or three seconds max, then snap back to the way it was, and carry on as usual). Software update says its the newest version, and can't install any updates. i have factory reset the tv now 3 or 4 times, turned off "contrast enhancer" under expert picture settings, turned off anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) [but this might have just been so the tv wouldn't ask what a device is every time it's turned on], i couldn't find the "digital clean view" option to turn on [which was listed as a fix on some other site], and have tried different settings with every device connected to it.  

I know this isn't an issue with any of my other devices, and the tv appears to be operating fine, assuming that this is to be expected. i'm really hoping a fix has come out for this issue, and i don't want to read 96 pages of messages to find a fix that most likely does not exist. any help would be greatly appreciated! I love all of the Samsung products that I have, and hope this will be fixed at some point.  Thanks again!

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

my 3 yr old UN55NU6900 has started blacking out 3 days ago. I'm wondering could the tv's hdmi in be the problem? It seems loose, and if thats the issue can i resolve it myself?

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I realize the original post on this is several years old now, but I have what I hope to be a useful solution to the issue of your Samsung TV screen cutting in and out with a black screen periodically (with audio).

After searching for weeks (periodically), just about everywhere online, I came across a somewhat obscure post that mentioned power surges/fluctuations can cause this issue, particularly when the TV on the same circuit as larger electronics (fridge, stove, etc.). 

While my Samsung TV is not on the same circuit as any large home appliances, I was finding that when  I turned on the surround sound system, turned up the dimmer switch, powered on another device on the same power bar/outlet, etc., that my TV was blanking out for 1-3 seconds (with audio). This was happening more and more often as of late. It would seem, based on my experience and the hundreds of thousands of similar user experience posts, that Samsung TVs are particularly sensitive to power fluctuations (a common occurrence). 

After going through all the posts I could find and trying out the suggestions relating to this specific issue; update the OS, check the connection, check the cables/replace them, call out repairman, etc., I found the solutionat least for me, was to plug the TV into a quality surge protector/power bar combo. I had previously plugged the TV into a lower quality power bar, and tried directly into the wall outlet, and was having this issue happen 10-80 times a day; it drove me crazy when I was trying to watch a movie or play a video game. Since using this solution the issue has been completely resolved; days have passed since it’s happened. Previously I would have been lucky to go a half-hour without experiencing the issue.

This likely won't the solution for everyone but it’s worth trying out before you buy any extra cables or send for a repairman, especially if you’ve already checked the cable/connection on both ends. I hope this resolves your issue, spread the word if so.

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Ginge Thank you very much for a quite interesting take on the problem.

Since my last post raging over my Xbox problem (sold the Xbox as it was useless with my Samsung TV) I have been experiencing same problems with an Nvidia Shield and a living room computer connected to the TV.

Allthough the Xbox was dropping quite a bit more often the two other units on different HDMI ports and different cables has the same problems with black screen drop for a few seconds.

What kind of surge protector did you buy that actually worked for you?

I know moderators blame us, the users and any other third party devices but this is amateur hour from Samsung themselfs!

Problem most def looks to be with the TV and really Samsung should take responsability here!

Every customer having trouble should get a free high quality multi outlet surge protector to try out.

I splurged $3000 on the TV and quite frankly it's useless with and HDMI device connected to it.

Fingers crossed your surge protector suggestion is actually the solution. And once again, shame on Samsung for their useless handling of this problem. Most likely my last ever Samsung product and I will be happy to spread the word!

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I feel like any reputable, well known, well rated surge protector brand would work nicely. 

I ended up going with a 8 outlet/2 USB Dynex one (DX-AVSP8), initially because I needed exactly that many plugs, also because it has a $250,000 ‘connected equipment limited warranty’. Depending where you’re buying it, if it’s on sale, and what currency you’re buying it in (USD/CAD/AUD/etc.), it typically ranges from $13-30. Well worth the investment, IMHO.

I did read that all newer model Samsung TVs now come with a grounded 3 prong power cord, so perhaps they did/do know about said issue and were keeping quiet to avoid potential lawsuits; speculation, but makes business financial sense.

Here's an useful (IMHO) article I found that talks about surge protectors and how more joules is often better, and that they do infact wear down overtime.  If you already have one and it's a number of years old, perhaps simply getting a new one will resolve the issue.

"Surge protectors offer protection in amounts called joules. Generally, the more joules the better, as this means the device can handle one large surge, or multiple smaller surges, before your gear is in danger. Over time, the parts inside the protector wear down, reducing its effectiveness."
10 things you should know about surge protectors (cnet.com)

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have UN75MU9000FXZA purchased in USA.   I have watched a lot of HDR content through apps on the TV and through a Chromecast.  However, I recently got a Sony 4K player (UPBX700) and while the picture and sound are incredible, the screen will briefly (1-2 seconds) flash black....sometimes every 45 seconds, sometimes every 3-4 minutes.  No drop in audio at all.  

I switched HDMI connection ports, switched out all HDMI cables, no change.

So far the only change I can find that actually STOPS the random black flash.....is to turn off HDMI UHD Color for my 4K player.....which kind of defeats a lot of the point of having these products.

What else am I missing here? 

Is it a bandwidth issue or something that the TV can't handle (I know the size of the data stream from a 4K blu-ray disc is MUCH bigger than from streaming a 4K online).

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When your TV has a black screen even when it's on, it's quite possible it could actually be your external device and not your TV. If your TV is connected using a One Connect Box, there are a couple of extra steps to troubleshoot.

1. Tv without the one connect box has no picture

·Press the Home (Menu) button on the remote.

• If the menu appears, the TV is powered on but is either not on the correct source or not receiving a signal.
  • If the menu does not appear, the TV may be having power issues. 

Confirm the TV is set to the same source as the external device.

• For instance, if your cable box is connected to HDMI 1, set the TV source to HDMI 1.
  • If the TV is set to the correct source, but there is still no image, unplug and reconnect the AV connections one cable at a time, from both ends of each cable. If there's any damage to the cable, it will need to be replaced.

Test the HDMI cable.

• To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.

Test different external devices.

• The final thing to rule out is the external device you're using. Try connecting a different device, or using a different source port. If you were unable to test the cable in the previous step, then try swapping the cable, too.
  • If the TV can display a picture in any other setup, then you've ruled the TV out as the cause of the issue. Keep trying various setups until you identify the device or cable that is not working, and troubleshoot or replace it.

If there is still no picture please feel free to send me a private message with your full model and serial number. http://bit.ly/2tCGnGK

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.