cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SargeSmash
Constellation

Re: Black screen periodically

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, I take it back.  Tonight, my laptop, for whatever reason, apparently decided it was going to shut the screen off, despite the fact I was playing a game (Shovel Knight, for those who care).  So perhaps it wasn't the momentary blackout I saw before I made my settings changes.

To the previous poster:  the fact that it's happening at set intervals makes me wonder if it's something related to the Extra feature that's causing it.  I disabled the Instant On feature, the Extra feature (press Extra button, go to settings, disable checkboxes), and the advertising checkbox and viewing history checkboxes under Smart Hub / Terms and Conditions.  That's how I got it to go for quite a while without blanking out, and I'll continue to monitor closely as I come up towards the end of my warranty.

trickinit
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SargeSmash wrote:

Well, I take it back.  Tonight, my laptop, for whatever reason, apparently decided it was going to shut the screen off, despite the fact I was playing a game (Shovel Knight, for those who care).  So perhaps it wasn't the momentary blackout I saw before I made my settings changes.

To the previous poster:  the fact that it's happening at set intervals makes me wonder if it's something related to the Extra feature that's causing it.  I disabled the Instant On feature, the Extra feature (press Extra button, go to settings, disable checkboxes), and the advertising checkbox and viewing history checkboxes under Smart Hub / Terms and Conditions.  That's how I got it to go for quite a while without blanking out, and I'll continue to monitor closely as I come up towards the end of my warranty.

How do you disable the instant on? I'm not finding an option for that.

SargeSmash
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@trickinit wrote:

@SargeSmash wrote:

How do you disable the instant on? I'm not finding an option for that.

I think it's under System -> General -> Instant On.  It will make it take a bit longer for your TV to be responsive when you turn it on, so you may want to try without turning it off to see if just the other changes help.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Glenn, Plese provide your address, telephone number, e-mail address and the place of purchase and we can set this up for you.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Glenn R
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi, I planned to just exchange the set at Costco since I'm within the return window and have a 4 year warranty with them.. When you say "set this up for you" I just want to understand what you mean. Sorry for the questions! Smiley Happy Thank you!
usergzbcxN9Q8N
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My JS8500 has the problem where the screen goes black for a second or two no sound either comes back, I have a geek squad warranty,  1st thing they did was mailed me a new one connect and cable, that didn't stop it. They're coming out this Saturday to replace a part in the TV. The black screen sometimes will only show up every 2-3 days and other times once a day but  after spending $2000 on a tv, I'm prepared to go through the 3 repairs required to be able to get a refund and get a different brand. The black screen I'm getting was happening since about a week after owning the tv, I thought it was a firmware problem and stuck with it but now 2 years later it's still a problem, luckily I bought the 5 year warranty.

spike
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I won't send my Samsung in for service, why put money into it?  Samsung needs to quit selling defective TV's.  I will buy Sony!

SA16
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having black screen (no sound no picture for 1 to 2 seconds) issue with UN65KS8000FXZA when i am streaming the channels with box.

MaseratiMatt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update:

my 55" Samsung has had this issue since purchase. 

See my earlier posts. 

Here is a better description:

regardless of input source the tv would go black and lose picture and sound for 2-10 seconds at a time. It would return to "normal" on its own. This got progressively worse to the point it would happen at least once every 5 minutes. 

Something else worth noting. If you were quick enough and had the smart remote in hand you could still pull up the Samsung "hub" menu from he black screen. 

This told me that it was most certainly signal or input related. 

Swapped power outlets 

swapped cable boxes

swapped hdmi cables 

swapped inputs

tried to reset to factory specs

tried to search for updated software 

basically narrowed it to the tv 

called samsung 

they set up to have a repair facility come out. 

The repair guy called me and basically said he is very familiar with the issue and would order a mainboard and power supply for the tv as this is the problem. 

Well fast forward to two weeks and the repair man comes out and fixes the tv. No further issues to report after a week. 

So, if you have the issue. Its most definitely the tv. Call and get it repaired or return it. 

My my issue is now solved. 

Hope this helps someone else. 

DaveB2
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update...

Factory reset solved the problem for 2 weeks.  I have the latest firmware.

Now the black screens have returned, and now the screen also slowly darkens after being on for a few minutes.  What a piece of junk.

Despite having a "satisfaction guarantee", Best Buy has been no help at all.  That's the last time I buy from them.