cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
infamous_pb
Cosmic Ray

Blank/black screen after initial power-on but gets sound - Help!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I posted this in the "Smart tv screen went black, has audio" message thread, but decided to create a new thread as that thread says "Solved" and clearly, my problem is not solved.

So here we go:  I have a Samsung - 75" Class - LED - NU8000 Series (UN75NU8000FXZA).  I purchased it from Best Buy (at Sanford, Florida) around November of 2018.  Everything was fine except around December 2018/January 2019, my TV said that there was a firmware update.  I updated and noticed the problem. This is what happens:

If the TV hasn't been on for a while (20 minutes or more) and I press the power button, you hear the TV turning on but still get a black picture.  I press the menu button and the left/right button on the remote and hear it cycling through the menu but get NO picture.  HOWEVER, if I turn off the TV and turn it back on - it works.  The TV will continue to work (turning off and on) as long as it hasn't been turned off in a while.  If I turn off the TV for about 20 minutes (or more) and try it again, the same problem happens.

Here are a few things I have done:  I checked to see if there was any more firmware updates.  There were none.  I reset the TV to factory defaults - same problem.  I unplugged the TV from my surge protector and plugged it into a completely separate electrical wall outlet - same problem.  I've unplugged ALL HDMI cables - waited 20 minutes - and get the same problem.

Again, this only happens on the initial boot / start up of the TV.  If you immediately turn the TV off and then back on, it will work.

Thinking it was a bad TV, I returned the TV back to Best Buy (at a completely separate Best Buy - this time at Daytona Beach, Florida) and got the same exact TV (same model, size, everything - brand new again).  I set it all up and downloaded and installed the latest firmware.  I turned off the TV for a while and turned it back on AND THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM HAPPENS!!!  HOW?!  It's a different TV!  I even reset the second TV back to factory defaults and did all the same troubleshooting steps as above and nothing has changed.

Below is a recording showing precisely what is happening:
https://youtu.be/v4kcUCf3Osg

Again, for reference, it is a Samsung UN75NU8000.  The software/firmware is the latest: T-KTM2AKUC-1202.3, BT-S

Could it be the firmware?!  If it's something internal and needs to be serviced/fixed, how is it possible that it's happening on two different Samsung UN75NU8000 TVs that were purchased from two different places?!  What are the odds?!  What are my next steps?

Thanks...

I have a Samsung - 75" Class - LED - NU8000 Series (UN75NU8000FXZA). I purchased it from Best Buy (at Sanford, Florida) around November of 2018. Everything was fine except around December 2018/January 2019, my TV said that there was a firmware update. I updated and noticed the problem. This is ...
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
infamous_pb
Cosmic Ray

Re: Blank/black screen after initial power-on but gets sound - Help!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Alright!  I was at work, however my wife was home when the repairman came.  His name was Mike from Royal Electronics and he did a fantastic job.  He was very competent, knowledgeable, patient, waited 20 mins each time to make sure, and even checked this message thread!  Here is what he determined:

The issue seemed pretty perplexing at first and he reached out to a few other techs.  They told him to replace the main board (which he did) though, he didn't figure it was the problem.  What he did do was go into some special menu that is not obtainable to customers.  I asked him if it was the "secret" service menu (which I have gone in before), but he said it was not the service menu but something ONLY technicans can access.  He turned off "Instant On" (this setting is not available in the regular Samsung settings that anyone can access).  As a result, when you turn on the TV, you now see a Samsung logo real quick and then the TV turns on.  Its probably only a 2-3 second difference.  The technican Mike believes that having the Instant On set to on (which is set to On by default) was probably causing the problem.  

He waited a good 20 minutes or so and tested it and it works.  Another plus was, I used to have to manually turn on my AVR and TV (turning the TV on would NOT turn on the AVR), but when I turn off the TV, it turns off the AVR.  Now that Instant On is set to Off, turning on the TV automattically turns on the AVR!  So, it fixes many problems!  

Mike the technican left and gave me a call and told me everything he did.  He provided me his number and told me to call or text him this weekend if it still works or not works.  After Mike left, my wife turned off the TV and waited a good 2 hours and tried it again.  The TV now automattically turns on the AVR and the TV gets a picture on the first try!

So, it seems that the solution is to turn off this "Instant On" feature - which, unfortunately, we the customers cannot do.  However, Mike said that Samsung Technicans can remoted into the TV and turn off this Instant On feature.  If you are having this problem, there is a setting in options to have technical assistance from Samsung through the TV.  I would have them do that and turn off Instant On.  

I really wish in future firmware updates, they'll give us (the customer) the ability turn Instant On off/on.  Why even force it on by default?

Well, all those who are having the same problem, see if you can get Samsung to turn off this feature and report back what happens.

Thanks!

35 REPLIES 35
Bret the Guy
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have literaly the same problem

DudeWithTV
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same exact problem here with model UN58NU7100FXZC.

Fairly certain this must be a software/firmware issue as there is absolutely nothing else wrong with the TV

infamous_pb
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm glad to know I'm not crazy and that there are several others experiencing the same problem.  

Hopefully the Samsung Moderators on these message boards will see this problem and report it to the engineers.  

Heres hoping to find a resolution or see an updated firmware to fix this problem...

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I have your full model code and serial number via private message?

infamous_pb
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
PM sent! Thanks!
user4XCZKzpp7R
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Glad to see I'm not the only one. I've had almost the exact same experience as you so far. TV is fine except for this problem.
Johnjr08
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same exact problem (every last detail) here with a 55" Samsung Q6FN...

infamous_pb
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Status update:  

A service center called Royal Electronics called to setup a date/time for them to come and service the TV.  They asked what was wrong (ugh...), so I had to explain everything all over again.  They said that the "panel" probably needs to be replaced.  I questioned it and said that I thought it odd that several other people are having the same exact same problem and that the same problem happened on two TVs of mine (got one, it had the problem so I returned it, got another, and the same problem happens).  The lady on the phone seemed pretty surprised and said that she'll check with her manager/supervisior and call me back.  It's been a day and no call back  Smiley Frustrated

Johnjr08
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@infamous_pb wrote:

Status update:  

A service center called Royal Electronics called to setup a date/time for them to come and service the TV.  They asked what was wrong (ugh...), so I had to explain everything all over again.  They said that the "panel" probably needs to be replaced.  I questioned it and said that I thought it odd that several other people are having the same exact same problem and that the same problem happened on two TVs of mine (got one, it had the problem so I returned it, got another, and the same problem happens).  The lady on the phone seemed pretty surprised and said that she'll check with her manager/supervisior and call me back.  It's been a day and no call back  Smiley Frustrated

Ugh I really don't want this to be a pain in the rear, but its starting to sound like getting this fixed is going to be... Smiley Frustrated