JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Cannot get Dolby Atmos to play on HW-K950

(Topic created: 08-14-2019 07:36 AM)
userA0wgT90rQo
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I have a KS8000 TV connected via HDMI arc to the HW-K950. I had the HW-K950 connected to WiFi to update the firmware then disconnected it to save Wireless WiFi performance for the rest of my devices.  I have never got the Atmos to work. I’m reading upgrade my HDMI cable to 2.1?  That Atmos won’t play through the tv arc port?  If so will it via WiFi?  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I figured, buy all Samsung products and they will magically work together at the highest performance.  I’m obviously not up to date with how to set this up correctly. I also have Apple 4K TV and Samsung 4K blu-Ray player hooked in. 

14 Replies
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

Are these the steps you are following to connect? 

The higher grade HDMI cable used, the higher quality connection you will have. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userA0wgT90rQo
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Yes, HDMI tv arc from soundbar to tv port 4 which is also an arc port. 

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

Did you also configure the settings in Step 4, and verify that the content supports Dolby Atmos?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userA0wgT90rQo
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Yes, I haven’t had a chance to check the Blu-Ray yet but settings are biostream unprocessed. The Apple 4K audio settings show as follows:

Audio Outout - Living Room (HDMI)

Audio Format - Auto, Atmos Available, (click)

Dolby Atmos On.

My connections are now as follows:

TV KS8000 HDMI port 4 arc to Soundbar tv arc port. 

Apple 4k HDMI to soundbar port 1. 

Samsung 4K Blu Ray is anynet 1 to 2 port HDMI soundbar. I do have anynet on TV set to on. 

Everything works great, no Atmos. I tried Netflix and Prime 4K streams?  

TV Is antenna via coaxial cable. Soundbar while watching broadcast TV is TV arc, Blu Ray shows on soundbar HDMI1 and Apple HDMI2.

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

Are you streaming Netflix from the Smarthub on the TV or from the Blu-ray player?

0 Likes
userA0wgT90rQo
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I stream Netflix from the Smarthub and also from Apple. Neither played in Dolby Atmos. My HDMI cables are pretty old. I’m using the ones Direct TV provided years ago when they installed satellite TV.  I’ve since cut the wire. I will try updating my HDMI cables,  2.0 or 2.1?  The 2.1 can be a bit pricy. 

0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Stephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Home Theater

Honestly 2.1 would probably be best, but the 2.0 should also work just fine. If updating the cable has no change, I would honestly recommend repairs in order to get a technician out to evaluate. 

0 Likes
userA0wgT90rQo
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Dolby Atmos worked for the first time tonight while watching a Blu-Ray movie. I had my set up wrong until I researched how to actually set up the sound bar with multiple devises. Thanks for your help and feedback. 

0 Likes
userVR32Xr9Xx6
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Just curious how you got this working. what is your set up? I have a similar issue.

I have a KN95 soundbar which is connected to my TCL series 8 TV via the ARC connection. The Cable I’m using for this is an HDMI 2.1 cable. The TCL TV has Dolby Atmos support, but I’m not sure if it’s working.

I get sound, but I have no idea if it is actually in ATMOS. According to the user manual, a blue light is supposed to appear on the soundbar for ATMOS content, but I don’t see any lights. The little LED screen says TV ARC and I've cycled through the effects setting and surround sound settings.

For example, I use Netflix via the TV’s built in app or via Chromecast with GTV which is connected through the TV’s HDMI input. When I view titles like The Witcher or Altered Carbon, it displays ATMOS for the sound, but when it’s playing, I don’t see the blue light on the soundbar and I don’t know if it’s playing ATMOS through the sound bar or plain stereo.

Can anybody give me an example of where this blue light is supposed to be, or how I can tell if it’s actually playing the ATMOS signal?

Thanks.

0 Likes