JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Cannot scroll through over the air channels

(Topic created: 11-20-2019 09:21 AM)
userC89maCEf2n
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Over the weekend, I bought a Samsung 40" LED, 5 Series, 1080p, Smart TV.  UN40N5200AFXZA

Set it up on Sunday and got a great picture for over the air channels using the antenna in my attic. I even managed to delete the dozen or so channels that I have no use for (e.g., home shopping and Spanish language).

Then I set up the wireless connection to my home network. That went OK as well and I could see the various apps and got into our family Netflix account.

So, tonight, I sat down to watch some broadcast TV. All was good until I decided to change the channel. I used the channel up/down button on the remote and instead of advancing from the broadcast channel I was watching (20-1), to the next broadcast channel (20-2), it jumps right to the TV Plus list of channels. I can scroll through all of those (yawn) but the only way to get back to broadcast TV is to enter the channel number manually on the remote.

I have fiddled with the source button repeatedly. I am debating disabling the wireless connection for now, as this seems insane to me. I turned off the “autorun smart hub” and “autorun last app” settings.

My primary use of this TV is for over the air broadcasts. And then Netflix every so often.

I am not a Luddite, but this seems to be more trouble then it is worth at this point.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

8 Replies
User_pGBMe3N
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Check for updates.

0 Likes
userC89maCEf2n
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Did that the day that I set up the TV, but checked again tonight.  No updates are available/needed.

It appears that if I select a broadcast channel manually and then choose another channel the same way, I can use the return key to toggle between them, but that is hardly a solution.

When I press the source button, the display at the bottom of the screen shows "TV Plus" with a blue checkmark next to it.  I cannot find a way to remove that checkmark, or to apply a checkmark to the "Live TV" option on the source list.

If this keeps not working sensibly, I may go up in the attic and get down the box, pack it al back up and return it and buy another brand.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Out of curiosity, did you switch to a universal remote after the set up of the television or are you using the original Samsung remote?   

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Solution
userC89maCEf2n
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

No, I am using the OEM remote.

I did solve the problem late last night. Poking around the various settings, I tried disconnecting from my wi-fi router. That caused all of the TV Plus offerings to give me an error message, but the remote just kept scrolling from one of those channels to the next and I could only get to the over the air channels by entering the channel number on the remote.

My next step was to try the option to "reset Smart Hub." When I reset that, I was able to scroll through the broadcast channels just fine. I did set up the wi-fi again (if there is a disconnect option, why is there not a "reconnect" option?) after entering all the particulars again. I had to re-enter my Netflix account information as well.

As of 11 PM, I could watch Netflix and after exiting from Netflix, I could watch broadcast TV and scroll through the channels.

Most telling, the icon in the source screen for TV Plus no longer has a check mark in the upper right corner.

So, I fixed my TV (for now at least), but I have no idea why it started in the first place, or whether the problem will come back.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

We're glad that you're up and running!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userKPIKUPnBwh
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Dear Moderator,

I had the same problem.  User Constellation, userfJ8zRh3aUx, posted a simple solution that worked for me.  I did not need to reconnect or reset anything.  Constellation's response should be marked as the solution.

Thanks,

sb

0 Likes
userfJ8zRh3aUx
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

To fix the scrolling on air channels, go to CH LIST on your remote. A window will pop up on the right side of the screen and on the right side of the windows there is four Icons. Now push the right arrow  and push on all channels.   Exit out and good to go!

userFL1IGsveCE
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have this exact same problem. Cannot scroll through over-the-air stations without bringing up the Guide first.

My remote does not have a Channel List button. What remote does?

0 Likes