JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Content delivered to my TV... a bit confused

(Topic created: 11-20-2020 01:32 PM)
userU05PeF4nA0
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I just recently purchased a 55" Samsung TU-700D Series TV (actually it was purchased for my 93-year old mother-in-law.. but not relevant)...  I installed it and connected it to her comcast cable box and signed it in to her wifi network.

To access her cable, it needs to be on channel 3... no problem... works fine.

Where the confusion comes in is all the other content that appears to be available from the other channels.  If you leave channel 3, you get dozens and dozens of other HD content which I cannot figure out where it is coming from... over the air?  ... internet?  

I will be in the market for a TV of my own soon (mine is a Samsung 55" but about 15 years old) and would like to know what to expect for content.  The TV above is located in a small city, so content may be coming from local sources?  Seems like a lot of it and none of it appears local (NewsMax, ABC, NBC, etc).  My home is in a remote area where over-the-air TV is very poor...  but internet is fiber optics.  

I haven't been able to find anything in any documentation...  if someone tell me what might be happening or can point me to a resource, I would appreciate it... 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Are you getting Digital Channels is that what you mean. There was a mandate to Telecommunications that Any and All major networks must deliver Free Cable Channels to those who do not have cable. It's so they cannot monopolize the market forcing you to buy cable access for Information. If a company charges premium they in turn must broadcast through the air waves a digital version of the broadcast so Information and News isn't being withheld. That being said, your new tv has a built in Reciever that picks up those broadcasts automatically. About 10 years ago you would have seen this in the form of a Digital reciever box and an antenna. Nowadays it's one solid design and prebuilt into the tv. so like Fox News might be called WFNB1400 in digital and be broadcast for free from a nearby larger city that your tv is picking up. This can be turned off if it bothers you. Or, since your mother is 93 you might find that she just wants to get on the tv and watch news and local shows which in turn would eliminate the need for cable all together. Hope That Helps

View solution in context

3 Replies
Solution
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Are you getting Digital Channels is that what you mean. There was a mandate to Telecommunications that Any and All major networks must deliver Free Cable Channels to those who do not have cable. It's so they cannot monopolize the market forcing you to buy cable access for Information. If a company charges premium they in turn must broadcast through the air waves a digital version of the broadcast so Information and News isn't being withheld. That being said, your new tv has a built in Reciever that picks up those broadcasts automatically. About 10 years ago you would have seen this in the form of a Digital reciever box and an antenna. Nowadays it's one solid design and prebuilt into the tv. so like Fox News might be called WFNB1400 in digital and be broadcast for free from a nearby larger city that your tv is picking up. This can be turned off if it bothers you. Or, since your mother is 93 you might find that she just wants to get on the tv and watch news and local shows which in turn would eliminate the need for cable all together. Hope That Helps
userU05PeF4nA0
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

.. thank you very much... makes perfect sense...  since my current Samsung smart TV is 15 years old, it doesn't have all the built-in features the new ones do...  so the fact that her TV is in range of over-the-air broadcasts is what gives her the additional content...  she's happy with the cable channels and she just uses the cable company remote to access her familiar channels... however, when we visit, it's nice to have the additional content....

This explains it... and will also mean I will not have those channels when I purchase my new TV... too far away from civilization.  

I didn't have time to go through all the digital content, but will investigate online to see if any of those are local stations that may allow her to eliminate cable altogether...

Thanks again...

SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
No Worries. Thank Samsung just glad you were able to figure it out. Of course the way technology moves , by the time you get your TV they may have figured out how to digitally broadcast it into your brain so you'll have to start all over again. lol
0 Likes