JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Firmware update broke Anynet with non Samsung devices

(Topic created: 04-05-2021 08:50 AM)
Graellic
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It appears that my one month old television had updated to 1420 and now has no control over my cable box. Neither through the remote nor through SmartThings.

Unplugging all devices, reconnecting, rebooting, resetting, and even factory reset don't restore the functionality. 

Samsung BluRay player still works with the television, but the DCX3200M from Spectrum is now listed as unknown. 

Any help on a patch or a means to roll back the driver is appreciated. 

21 Replies
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Have you tried to reach out to your spectrum provider? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Graellic
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Yes. Spectrum stated that they do not have remote control of the HDMI CEC function of the box and that they did not have any updates during that time. 

0 Likes
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I recommend calling 1-800-Samsung and ask for remote managment. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Graellic
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

The first time I called, I was told that the update removed the functionality and they were unable to fix it using remote management. 

The second time I called, I was told to call Spectrum. 

The third time I called, I was told I have a standard remote instead of a smart remote and that was why the remote stopped controlling the cable box. They did not, however, address that SmartThings could no longer control the cable box or that the TV was unable to even identify the cable box. 

As a diehard Samsung fan, I hate to admit that I'm about ready to return the TV and try another brand. So far, getting any real assistance from Samsung has not happened. The ones I've spoken with, when I've called, are just working the call center and reading from a flowchart and a script. How do i escalate my request to a more technical person? 

Options
HD and UHD TVs

I believe you can simply do Universal Remote Setup again so your TV remote and SmartThings App can control your cable box.

Can you try navigating to the Universal Remote Setup (under Source) and go through the setup steps to control your Spectrum cable box?

0 Likes
Graellic
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have done that. It no longer recognizes the cable box. When going through the steps, it tells me to press channel up or down to change the channel. After three failures, it asks for the model and then repeats the channel up and down thing. At this point, it keeps repeating through entering the model and failing, then enter the model, etc.

Solution
Wreck89
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have the same problem. I've been researching and troubleshooting it for days, and it seems the common thread is the 1420 firmware update. After reading all the excuses and "tech support" suggestions from Samsung, I just exchanged my one-month-old TV for the same model. The new one has 1410 and it controls the cable box perfectly. I eliminated the source of the problem as the cable box or the wifi or the handheld remote or the SmartThings app or anything else. Could I be wrong? Sure. But the recent complaints are increasing and so are the mentions of CEC problems in the reviews. I will guess that there aren't more complaints only because most people don't even take advantage of CEC. I didn't buy this thing for its picture or sound. I bought it so I could say, "Alexa, change the channel to the _____ channel" without having to memorize the numbers. It's a great thing if it works as promised. Yes, the first thing I did on the replacement TV is to make sure it won't auto update.

Graellic
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Until reading your post, I've been on the fence about doing the same thing. I'm at 40 days of my 90 day return window. I just wasn't 100% positive about 1420. Now that I've seen your success, I'm doing the same thing. 

It's sad when the solution to the problem is to give up on Samsung's help and get a different TV. 

Options
HD and UHD TVs

What model is your TV?

From my understanding, the TV sends out IR commands to external devices such as cable boxes through the Samsung logo located in the center bottom panel of the TV. Perhaps you'll need to make sure the STB is placed near the logo so that it can receive those IR commands during the channel test?

0 Likes