Original topic:

HDMI1 Port Issue on Q80T

(Topic created: 01-13-2021 10:27 AM)
T-Wizzle09
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Hello all,

Wanted to bring this issue by everyone here just in case I was missing something.

When I initally purchased this TV roughly 3 months ago, I had my cable box hooked up to HDMI1, PS4/5 hooked up to HDMI port 2, and ports 3 and 4 were open.

At the beginning of every day, whenever I would turn on my cable box (port 1), turn on the TV and go to that source, the TV does not recognize the device on HDMI 1. I would then need to re-plug the HDMI cable from the back of the cable box and then it detects it. If I turn off the cable box and wait say 1 or 2 hours, it will continue to detect the device. But for whatever reason, whenever I go to sleep and try to do the same thing the next morning, I have to go through the same situation. So it seems to happen after some extended hours of being off.

As of now, I have moved my cable box to HDMI port 3 to rule out any issues with the cable box, and so far no issues. To rule out an HDMI cable being bad, I moved the cable from HDMI port 3 to port 1, hooked up the cable box, and saw the issue the next day.

My next step is to test port 1 using one of my consoles to see if I see the behavior across multiple devices.

Has anyone else seen this bevahor before?

17 Replies
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Odd.  Is the software up to date on the television?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Chadi7
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I also have this issue. I running an HDMI 2.1 cable from my PC (RTX 3080 GPU) to HDMI port 4. The signal is just fine all day long, but when I go to turn on the TV in the morning it will not recognize the PC signal in the HDMI input. I have to manually remove the HDMI cable from the TV port and plug it back in. The TV then shows that it is identifying the device and ID's it as a PC and it works. This is not a viable solution to the problem as annoyance and possible wear and tear are large concerns.

I have been trying to troubleshoot this by enabling/disabling features within the TV's menu, but so far I have not found anything that works (it is difficult because this seems to only occur after an extended period of time of the TV being powered off). I have ensured that the PC is working as expected, that is it is sending a signal when I turn on the TV in the morning. I have disabled any settings on the PC that would be an issue, such as Sleep Mode or Turning Off the Display. So the issue does not seem to lie with the PC. 

@SamsungJam  - All firmware is up to date and running the latest Nvidia drivers on the PC. I have Input Signal Plus enabled on HDMI Port 4 and I am using a certified HDMI 2.1 cable. I have also disable the TV's screen protection feature that turns the TV off if the screen is idle. If there are any other settings I should check please let me know. I may have performed other troubleshooting steps that I cannot remember at the moment, like I said it is difficult to troubleshoot something that only happens once a day.

0 Likes
Chadi7
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungJam @T-Wizzle09 

Ok I think I have figured out where the issue lies. I am running 4k@120hz from my PC. The TV CAN run this resolution with Input Signal Plus enabled on HDMI4. But as decscribed before, when I turn the TV on in the morning it will not recognize the PC source and just gives a black screen.

I found the Self Diagnosis option in the TV menu, under Support -> Device Care -> Self Diagnosis -> HDMI Troubleshooting. I answered "No" to the first question about disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable (that works but it is not a practical solution every day). The TV then runs a diagnostic and resolves the issue. Turns out it turns off the Input Signal Plus setting on HDMI4. (You can conform this by going to General -> External Device Manager -> Input Signal Plus.) The TV now recognizes the PC, with a resolution set to 3840x2160 @ 60Hz. I can now go into the Input Signal Plus menu and turn it on for HDMI4 and the PC will switch to 4096X2160 @ 120Hz and work fine all day. Then we start it over agin in the morning...

Now when the TV cannot recognize the PC input and it is just a black screen, I go into the Input Signal Plus menu and HDMI4 is not selectable or "greyed out". So I can't just turn off Input Signal Plus on HDMI4, I have go through the HDMI Troubleshooting steps and the TV will turn it off then.

So this relates to all of the "can't get 4k@120Hz to work" threads, but in my case I CAN get it to work. It just doesn't work after being turned off for a few hours and then turned back on for some reason.

I am running the latest firmware version on the TV and the latest drivers on my RTX 3080 graphics card. I was hoping to find an HDMI switch that can run 4k@120Hz to see if just switching between HDMI ports on it would cause the TV to work, but they do not make those... And I my current AVR does not support 4k@120Hz either, so I have no way of testing that theory at the moment.

The issue does seem to lie with the TV. @T-Wizzle09 if you could test this out on your setup I would interested in seeing if this works for you as well. That would also confirm that our issue is one in the same and that it is occurring on different types of input devices.

@SamsungJam If you have any advice to offer I will gladly take it. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of dealing with this everyday, and if Samsung doesn't have a fix in the works I may just need to return the TV since it cannot function as advertised at the moment.

SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I have sent this issue to my engineers for investigation. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Hello, everyone. My team has asked for you to try editing the HDMI source name to see if this will help.

Select Source, then highlight HDMI4 where the PC is connected.

Press the Up selector and select Edit.

Change the name to PC. This should expand the EDID table and help with the source detection.

Let me know what results you see.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Chadi7
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungLou The source was already named "PC" in my case. So this did not resolve the issue as it has been occurring this whole time with the source being named that.

If you need me to try any other troubleshooting steps please let me know. Thanks!

0 Likes
Chadi7
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@SamsungLou It has been about two weeks since my last post with no reply. Should I go ahead and open up a support case with Samsung directly for this issue?

usereJrtEJG5mt
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

same problem , using rtx 3080 and 80t and using maya 8k 2.1 cable @hdmi port 4

when game mode is enabled along with vrr , the tv will struggle to find the pc signal 

and i have to restart pc few times or plug/ unplug the cable to fix the issue, when the tv detects the signal and displays desktop it works afterwards as it should, 

really disappointed at samsung for buyng a 3000$ tv just to find out it has alot of issues.... at least fix this issue please ...

userCxbrxFkmga
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I have the same problem, except I am using a xbox series x in port 4.

Only solution I have found is to unplug/replug the cable (which autodetects and messes up saved settings) or run the HDMI connection troubleshooting. 

I am on the latest firmware, and still see the issue.

Is there going to be a fix, or am I going to have to have the technician come out and start replacing parts on the TV?