cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starshockinc
Asteroid

HELP! - TV Audio LAG - Sound Delayed too much at 0 delay setting!

So this seems to be a fairly common problem that's been popping up out there.. I have a 2018 UN65NU8000. The audio at 0 ms is lagging behind the video. From what I can tell with sync tests around 80 - 100ms. We get all of our content through the onboard apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Youtube). It seems to be a bit worse using Dolby vs. PCM. We are going out ARC to a Yamaha reciever so I don't want to just set to PCM and loose my center channel etc. Same issue with optical and same issue just using the factory speakers. So I've rulled out reciever issues. 

Samsung has sent someone out to replace the motherboard and that didn't fix the issue. I'm fairly certain that there is some sort of built in delay in their firmware that is causing this issue, but I can't get to the right person that understands anything beyond increase the delay setting in the user menu.. which natuarally worsens the problem! 

I've read people having success in the advanced service menu. There's a setting called "audio delay" and changing that from 10 to around 3 seems to fix this issue for most folks. Naturally, I don't have that one specific setting in the service menu on this TV! 

It just seems so odd that the audio lags behind the video. Obiously it's usually the other way around or we wouln't have all of the audio delay options built into these TV's and recievers.. I'm not finding much help from Samsung on this and I hate to get rid of the TV as I generally really like Samsungs TV's, but I'm running out of hope. Any help that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
londonbr
Constellation

Re: HELP! - TV Audio LAG - Sound Delayed too much at 0 delay setting!

I have the exact same TV, paired with a HW-N950 soundbar and ATV4k.  I've tried playing content through the TV's aps, through the ATV, as well as swapping HDMI cables, and connecting the ATV to the soundbar directly, as well as connecting the ATV to the TV (ARC).  All results in the audio lag, and no way to correct in settings!  

Seems like a substantial issue for many users given the numerous message board threads on this topic.

starshockinc
Asteroid

They sent someone out to replace my motherboard but that did not fix the issue.. It has to be something built into the firmware and I just can't seem to get anyone who understands. Everyone keeps telling me to turn up the delay on the TV!! SAMSUNG!! Support your product please!!
userPxU4qFLov4
Constellation

Happening over here too with my NU8000... tried everything and it’s still off. Samsung needs to address this issue. Instead of just having a 0-300 value it needs to go in the negatives to speed up the audio receiver delay. Samsung please look into this. Im

using a Vizio 5.1 system through the HDMI ARC but seems there is still a lag...

userqJ8SEjKKxO
Constellation

I am having the same problem with two new TVs. I have a 55” Q80R connected with the optical link to a Sonos sound bar and a 75” Q90R connected via hdmi to a Yamaha AV Receiver. Both have audio sync issues where the video is ahead of the audio. Adjusting the audio delay therefore only makes the problem worse. Love the picture on both these TVs, but the audio problem is killing my joy and ultimately will be a fatal flaw. I assume this can be corrected by a software update - Samsung please get this done soon!

CHIEFMEGADETH
Constellation

I thought it was all good,until i put a a 4k bluray man of steel and audio is out of sync. Sync option on tv is useless. Please fix soon Samsung,,, Surely you test stuff like this before mass produsing. I have Q90R 65inch?  

userda8kuK5ild
Astronaut

I have the exact same issue with a Samsung TV I purchased in 2018.  It is getting worse!  I have tried everything to fix it, and nothing helps.  I've tried with and without the soundbar.  The issue is in the firmware.  Samsung has got to fix this if they want to keep customers!  Please help!

Are you all experiencing issue on 2018 models? What firmware are you guys on?

So issue occurs with TV speakers as well as with soundbars via ARC/optical?

starshockinc
Asteroid

Yes, 2018 model. And yes, this happens over ARC and just through the TV speakers themselves. 

Long story short, Samsung eventually junked that TV and gave us an in store credit. We ended up purchasing a 2019 Q70 because I just can’t seem to get away from Samsung. Turns out the Q70 starts at a default setting of 100 milliseconds of delay. But like the other TV when streaming Dolby Digital I have to back to delay all the way to 0 and the audio is still a bit behind. Albeit better than the 2018 NU8000. I haven’t don’t any real testing to see how far. The wife has given threats if we continue down the replacement road...

So I’m kind of just dealing with it and hoping there may be firmware updates in the future to improve it. 

userGtZXfrGZy2
Constellation

I have the same issue with a Samsung F5300 TV connected to a Samsung N450 soundbar via HDMI(ARC).  The TV's default audio delay setting is 80ms delay.  That's fine when the digital output mode is set to PCM, but when it's set to Dolby, 80ms is too high.  And when I dial it back all the way to 0 there's still some audio lag.

Also, the TV and soundbar each have their own audio sync functions.  The soundbar is set to 0 also.  Just wondering whether it's recommended to adjust audio delay at the TV or the soundbar - or does it not really make a difference which I adjust.  For what it's worth, adjusting the TV's delay is easier, since the soundbar's sound mode setting options time out very quickly - making it hard to try various settings and evaluate their effects.  In ARC mode, the TV has its own equalizer screen that lets you adjust the soundbar's equalizer from the TV'a audio settings menu.  I had thought that the audio delay setting might work the same way, but I don't think it does.