Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

KS8500 - expert settings - color mode - lock out

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I have been using a KS8500 for a while, and enjoying the performance I get with this TV as a somewhat early adopter of 4K UHD.

However something strange happened to my TV, which I also use a PC monitor. I noticed that all of a sudden the color option in the Expert settings is locked out. It is locked out at 50 out of a 100. I normally set it to 100.

So before, I know I was able to set it to 100, but now it wont let me. I tried to mess around with other settings like keeping UHD  color for hdmi off, but as long as it is on PC, it is locked out. However if I change the signal to be blu ray for example, it will allow for more color.

I did do several things recently that may have affected this outcome.

1. Updated Nvidia drivers, and I also set my video card to have extra color saturation, digital virbrance to 97, which I did before as well, with no issues. I love extra saturation and enjoy that in movies, and works really well in Anime as well.

And if I upated, if could have caused an issue with the TV. Not sure, and may be I did not notice?

2. I also got another TV. I live with other people, so we need more than 1 TV. The other TV is a Q70R. While setting up this TV I noticed that automatically the maximum color in expert settings was 50, which might its own scale, so 50 out of 50 is still 100. So I didnt think this was an issue since this is also QLED whch is meant to be more vibrant and simply better than the KS8500 in every aspect. Yet for some reason, when in PC mode for the Q70R it locks out color in exerpt settings. This was the first time I noticed this lock out for color, actually.

Next, what could be the issue for the KS8500,  is I used the same HDMI cable that I used for my PC for the KS8500 and then used it on lap top for the Q70R. (This is when I first noticed that Q70R was 'different' with color locked out). 

Then I went back to KS8500 with the same cable. ALso I want to also mention I spent a lot of time tweaking oiptions for the TV to make sure it looks just the way I want. Vibrant colors, and dark shadows to make the picture pop. So I checked the settings here, for the first time in a while to see things in PC mode again on the KS8500 and see what options I had done and test them out for the Q70R, and I noticed for the first time that color option in expert settings was locked out. When in fact it wasnt before.

So just to rehash, the main issue is, the KS8500, on PC mode in expert settings does not allow for color adjustment. It is locked at 50 and greyed out.

I am not sure on the cause, and just wanted to help by adding some 'input'.

Please help to resolve this issue. 

Thank you

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: KS8500 - expert settings - color mode - lock out

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend trying a picture test to see if this still occurs. The next step would be to perform a factory reset. Last but not least, you can call remote management to have them look at the unit remotely. They can be contacted at 1-800-SAMSUNG

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend trying a picture test to see if this still occurs. The next step would be to perform a factory reset. Last but not least, you can call remote management to have them look at the unit remotely. They can be contacted at 1-800-SAMSUNG

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thnx for the reply.

I followed instructions, and picture reset did not fix the greyed out color menu.

I will update. However, also when trying to update, I would select update and nothing happened. Not sure if my location is causing connection issues to server and this a normal server issue, or a TV hardware issue. So it could be Something that is possibly indicative of an actual problem with the TV.

I will down the file manually from the website, and install by thumdrive.

If this does not fix the problem, I will try to reset everything on the TV.

Thnx

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please keep me updated! 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thnx Caleb,

So now something truly baffling is happening with the update for the TV.

As stated before, trying an online update, would literally do nothing. It would not show up a loading screen or anything.

So I went to download the firmware. I put the 1.2 GB file on the thumbdrive, and went to support to update firmware again. This time nothing happened as well.

So for some reason the TV will not even allow me to update via online or by thumbdrive.

Im stumped. Please help.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok sounds good

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just confirm with the HDMI cable you are using is it an HDMI to DVI cable or is it a normal HDMI cable? Also are you leaving it in the .zip file or extracting it to the USB? Also are you making sure to not put it in another folder on the USB? 

Also just to make sure that you don't already have the most recent update what version do you see on the TV? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope all is well,

My TV's firmware is 1169, and I went to the website to get the latest one, I beleive which is, 

Firmware 

MAR 02,2020  |  ver 1242.0  |  

Also I saw a youtube video on how to use the USB to update the TV, which is where I got the idea from as an alternative. They showed an empty USB drive with the already extracted file, the large 1.2 GB file. I did the exact same thing.

Yet when I went to support on the TV settings to update the firmware, nothing literally happened. No pop up loading screen.

As for the HDMI cable, it could be damaged as a possible cause. I am currently ordering a 2.0b wire for the TV. However the existing one I am using (the possibly damaged) is a normal 1.4 HDMI cable and no conversion to DVI is being used.

I am also using a 980 GTX graphics card that has a HDMI out put.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Edit: I turned on the TV after putting auto update, and it said the update was down on its own. The firmware on the TV is 1242.

However, for PC mode, in expert settings, it will still not let for me adjust color. Its greyed out at 50.

I think all there is left to do is wait for the new HDMI wire.

I am willing to try other things to try to fix this.

Thank you for your replies.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So that I can look into this further can I have your full model number?