JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

KS8000 Screen Flickering

(Topic created: 03-17-2020 05:01 AM)
BottleGnome
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

My 55" KS8000 recently started having a screen flickering issue that appeared after approximately 90 minutes of use. The issue has gotten much worse over the last week with the tv displaying the problem after only 10 minutes of on time making it pretty much unusable. I spoke with Samsung support over the phone and the rep was not helpful at all in actually diagnosing the problem. Having our only tv be unusable right now is a major problem. My tv is a Model UN55KS8000DFXZA, Version AA02.

KS8000 screen flicker 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

We want to check the connections to the TV.

• Make sure that the one connect box is connected properly 
  • Make sure that the software is up to date( If you have updated it before the flickering issue started) then factory reset the TV
  • If the symptoms still appear after that and it's on all sources, the unit would require service.

Perform a picture test.

• Navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Picture Test, and then follow the on-screen directions.

Try turning off Energy Saving (Eco Solution).

• The energy-saving feature adjusts the screen based on how bright it is and how bright your room is so as to not use more brightness than necessary, and therefore save energy. If there are a lot of scene changes between light and dark or your room has sudden lighting changes, the TV may appear to be flickering as it adjusts the brightness or darkness.
  • To find this setting, navigate to Settings > General. Look for either Energy Saving or Eco Solution and set the option to Off. If the flickering is still present, then you know this wasn't the issue and can turn the setting back on if desired.

Test the HDMI cable.

• Some TVs have an HDMI cable test. Some models only have this test after a software update, and older models do not have it. If your model does not have this test or is not connected by HDMI, skip to the next step.
  • The test is designed for HDMI cords less than 2m long and may not give good results on long cords.
  • To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.
  • If the test says the cable is bad, replace the cable. Service is not required.

Check other devices on the circuit for grounding issues.

• The electrical wiring in your wall has enough power going through it that disruptions to it can actually affect your image quality, most frequently through flickering.
  • To rule out grounding issues, unplug all other devices plugged into the same circuit as the TV (which may be more than just the one power outlet depending on how your house is wired). With the TV on its own circuit, try playing back video from an internal source, like an app or USB drive.
  • If the flickering happens even when the TV is on its own circuit, service is required.
  • If this cures the flickering, plug your devices back in one at a time and check which one is causing the flickering. This device is the cause of the issue and may have a bad ground.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. --> http://bit.ly/2tCGnGK

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in context

98 Replies
Solution
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

We want to check the connections to the TV.

• Make sure that the one connect box is connected properly 
  • Make sure that the software is up to date( If you have updated it before the flickering issue started) then factory reset the TV
  • If the symptoms still appear after that and it's on all sources, the unit would require service.

Perform a picture test.

• Navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Picture Test, and then follow the on-screen directions.

Try turning off Energy Saving (Eco Solution).

• The energy-saving feature adjusts the screen based on how bright it is and how bright your room is so as to not use more brightness than necessary, and therefore save energy. If there are a lot of scene changes between light and dark or your room has sudden lighting changes, the TV may appear to be flickering as it adjusts the brightness or darkness.
  • To find this setting, navigate to Settings > General. Look for either Energy Saving or Eco Solution and set the option to Off. If the flickering is still present, then you know this wasn't the issue and can turn the setting back on if desired.

Test the HDMI cable.

• Some TVs have an HDMI cable test. Some models only have this test after a software update, and older models do not have it. If your model does not have this test or is not connected by HDMI, skip to the next step.
  • The test is designed for HDMI cords less than 2m long and may not give good results on long cords.
  • To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.
  • If the test says the cable is bad, replace the cable. Service is not required.

Check other devices on the circuit for grounding issues.

• The electrical wiring in your wall has enough power going through it that disruptions to it can actually affect your image quality, most frequently through flickering.
  • To rule out grounding issues, unplug all other devices plugged into the same circuit as the TV (which may be more than just the one power outlet depending on how your house is wired). With the TV on its own circuit, try playing back video from an internal source, like an app or USB drive.
  • If the flickering happens even when the TV is on its own circuit, service is required.
  • If this cures the flickering, plug your devices back in one at a time and check which one is causing the flickering. This device is the cause of the issue and may have a bad ground.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. --> http://bit.ly/2tCGnGK

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

BottleGnome
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have checked the Connect One box. The connection was good. Unplugged and re-connected just in case. No change, screen still flickers after 10 minutes or so.

The software on the tv is up to date.

I have also reset the picture options, performed several factory resets, and removed all external connections to the tv and the Connect One box and the issue persists.

I am beyond aggravated that a tv that was manufactured 3 years ago is now completely unusable. My previous Samsung TV lasted 12 years with no issues. I will probably not be buying another Samsung TV in the future if I cannot get more than 3 years out of this one.

SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I certainly understand and would be delighted to look into this for you! Can you send a private message to me with your TV's serial number? I want to look into this for you 🙂

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userAfTdO9f3gg
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello everyone,

This flickering is also happening on my KS8000!!!

SamsungAl,

Please let us know how can this be fixed without spending money.  It does not sound great that this expensive Samsung TV model has disfunctioned at the same time.  Please let us know right away.  In these days of quarantine, TVs are one of the only joys.

Thank you. 

BottleGnome
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

My panel, main board and internal ribbon cables were replaced by a Samsung authorized repair tech. My tv has been working fine since the parts were replaced.

0 Likes
userM5mmJVie4L
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This should be a class action lawsuit. My 55 ks8000 started flickering 3 years also. Called Samsung went through all the diagnostic test and only solution was a number they gave me to repair and they said it was cost over 1k!!! This is ridiculous this tv should last longer than 3yrs. If anyone knows a way to fix this without spending as much money as a new tv please let me know. That or we should file a lawsuit because it seems every owner if this miodel starts to flicker after 3yrs. At first turning it off for 30minutes would fix it,but then that quit working so now minutes after tv is in it starts flickering.

useriTaOWZ4jtq
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello. My ks8000 is also flickering exactly like your tv. Was your tv fixed? If so what was the problem? I would like to see if I can fix it myself since my tv is out of warranty. Thanks

0 Likes
usergJQLyeyKe3
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I had the same problem. I can't even lay to have it fixed because they stopped making the TV. Even when they were still making them it would be $800 to have it fixed. It's ridiculous! 

user1RRfEoOtxe
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hi,

I have the UN55KS8000 model and recently there have been some flickering happening on the mid-bottom of the screen. I've read that it could be due to an LED strip on the backlight giving out. I tried reducing the backlight settings and it still doesn't go away. Looks almost like a burn mark that flickers in and out.

When I was in the market for a 4K TV I trusted Samsung since I was happy with my previous Samsung HDTV. That one had a capacitor issue but at least it got fixed and lasted for years. I'm worried this one may have given out after little over 3 years of ownership. I hope you'll be able to help me. Please let me know, thank you.

0 Likes