JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Light bleeding through UN65J8500 (all JS models)

(Topic created: 09-14-2020 03:43 PM)
user0tC7rduqfk
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello,

I purchased a UN65J8500 3 years ago and just recently, within the last 2 months, I started noticing what looks to be light spots shinning through the panel. These light spots are especially noticeable on solid colors.

I've posted a couple of images of what it looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/l7eRIUK

Is this something that I can fix or is this panel not worth saving?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

devin

418 Replies
userriRw956SuX
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Anyone from Samsung on here? TV was close to $3k and didn't last long. My last Samsung worked perfectly for a decade, this one was 3X the cost and half the run time. 

Very let down here, not worth the money. 

userdfI4GtkQ52
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I just noticed the same issue on my TV today.  Really bummed out.  Has anyone been given help with a repair or replacement for this defective set?  

user2CLpdpLzwm
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I am having the same issue at the bottom of my screen on my q6 series. Its getting worse every weekend. The screen isnt hot though. I am worried it will go out soon. Can someone contact me on how to fix this issue. Looks like a lot of people are having the same issue I am. 

Thanks,

0 Likes
userKdcxyDHH7n
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This has been happening to me on my 3 year old Samsung TV model# UN65KS800DFXZA for a while now. I contacted Samsung and they couldn't care less since the tv is past warranty. I got a text saying a service call would start at $210, which I refuse to pay. I explained that I have been a loyal Samsung customer for many years. Have TV's, washer/dryer, microwave, stove and dishwasher. They have just lost a customer for life. I am switching to LG TV's moving forward. The OLED is far superior to any piece of junk that Samsung makes. In conclusion, Samsung customer service is pure trash. Once my Samsung appliances break, I am replacing them with better products from better companies.

0 Likes
useraXF7o93D4u
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

The backlight on my tv has recently really started to have bleeding issues, to the point that the tv is becoming unwatchable. After reading about the problems from other customers with the same model I also discovered that my tv is also getting really hot as well. When the screen has a white picture on it, it shows a brownish color around the areas with the worse bleeding. Also, from time to time the picture will go black for a few seconds before coming back on. This has to be some kind of defect. I've always come to expect a great product from Samsung, we have 3 other samsung tv's in the house that are all older models and unfortunately they are all functioning and looking better than this one at this point. I'd like to provide a picture of the issue but cant figure out how to post the image. Any help resolving the issues with this tv would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
user3DYbeVIKcg
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

My UN55JS9000 has the same issue. Light leak on left side. Also, the One Connect box randomly restarts all the time so the screen goes black for a second and comes back with reset backlight and contrast levels. I have to recalibrate settings every time I turn on the tv. This is my second one connect box as the one that came with tv failed during the warranty period. Pretty dissapointing for this level of tv after a few years. Amazed to see this many people with the same issue.

0 Likes
usergoicPckFpp
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I purchased 2 of these JS8500's for my home a few years ago. After the first 2 years, I started noticing small amounts of backlight bleed on both of the TV's. After realizing how hot they got, I inquired about the heat issue and was told that it wasn't an issue. Now, the backlight bleed has grown and doesn't show any signs of slowing down. On the JS8500 I used the most, I can no longer ignore the backlight bleed. It is very noticeable in almost any scene that I watch, especially in low light scenes. I know this must be a defect, as multiple people have commented here. My house has 6 samsung TVs, (2 JS8500's) and only the JS8500's seem to be affected (though my KS8000 also gets very hot). I'm not looking to get a full refund or anything, but the notion that a TV goes bad after a few years is appaling. None of the TV's I've had, no matter how cheap, have had issues this quickly. This TV used to leave me in awe, but now it just disgusts me. My partner also claims that he saw smoke coming from the side of the TV (though I have never noticed this). We are now, effectively, too scared to use this TV and has ruined the Samsung name for us. How can we resolve this issue?PXL_20200911_205934882.jpgPXL_20200911_205923879.jpgPXL_20200911_205822063.jpg 

0 Likes
user2XpmRdK18r
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

That model is almost 5 years old, plus its just LED, not OLED, so you are definitely going to see backlight bleed. If you want a model that doesn't have backlight bleed, step up to the 9000 series. And as far as the heat issue I would be imagine that having it wall mounted will make it a little warmer when in use, but most definitely not hot enough to worry about. It has LED's and a couple small circuit boards in the back, nothing that you should worry about. Relax and enjoy it. I know how you feel with backlight bleed, but if you can only see it on a completely black screen, its nothing to worry about. All LED screens do it. what I'm saying is, your TV is fine. Samsung, unlike LG, actually make great hardware that lasts. I have owned and currently do own numerous samsung screens, have never had any issues with them.

0 Likes
usergoicPckFpp
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

The issue is not regular light bleed, it excessive light bleed as I stated in the title. As an electrical and electronics engineer, I am well aware of the limitations of edge lit panels. This issue is definitely an engineering defect. I could buy a TCL piece of trash and it would have less light bleed than this TV. There was very little light bleed when I first purchased this TV. Furthermore, my ks800 which is just 1 year newer has almost no light bleed. The light bleed is present even in bright images. It looks like uneven brightness along mainly 1 side of the panel, and continues to grow. As for the excessive heat due to mounting, the tv sits about 5 inches away from the wall on a fully articulating mount, so there is tons of air ventilation on here. It's much hotter than any TV I have ever owned, including the KS8000.

0 Likes
user2XpmRdK18r
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

It very well could have a defect. I do not see the light bleed in the images you posted. And if you have the knowledge why not just disassemble it and see whats producing all the heat your experiencing? And considering Samsung no longer makes that model and your experiencing it on both and they're the same exact model, I bet it is a defect in that model. If I were you, I would try to pinpoint whats causing the issues and get replacement parts and fix it. Thats just my opinion. Or consult a repair tech and see what they charge.

0 Likes