cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Met Opera On Demand - Subtitles gone for two 2015 TV's

The Metropolitan Opera streaming service - the app that runs on the Samsung TV  -  has lost the subtitles, after a Samsung software update last month.  Maybe that's just chance, & I've done something?  The two 2015 TV's are Samsung UN55JS7000 and UN60JS8000.    

I must be missing something but can't figure out what.  Have carefully reviewed the manual, and subtitle settins seem correct.    

My work-around is to stream on my Laptop & hook the laptop to the Samsung HDMI slot.   That way I see the subtitles.

Gotta see the subtitles - I'm not clever enough to follow an opera in Italian or German or French without subtitles!    

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Carol

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Met Opera On Demand - Subtitles gone for two 2015 TV's

For clarification,  Are the CC options removed from the app completely or will the just not show up while watching programming?  Any trouble with any other applications by any chance?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

CC options are found at the top of the screen of the Met Opera app, no problem.  The caption does not appear at the bottom of the screen, as it did a month ago.   A month ago, the subtitles were there, no problem.  

So I went through all the Samsung settings, hunting for something that might have been reset by a Samsung software update of several weeks ago.  Can't find anything.   

I don't know any other aps that I use for captions, -  good idea  -  will think about how to do that. 

Thanks for looking at this

Carol

Highlighted
Constellation

Same problem for me.   Subtitles worked fine until a few days ago.  Now, even though they are turned on, nothing appears on the screen.  Subtitles and CC works on 'normal television'.

I've reset the television, deleted and reloaded the app, tried every setting that is possible.  Nothing works.

Any ideas will be very welcome.  Many thanks

JB

Highlighted
Asteroid

The Netflix app has optional closed captions.  Just Outlander now,  & it did captions corretly.  Still can't get the captions to work in the Met Opera app.   (Metflix)

Thanks to JB for sharing; glad to know I'm not the only one having the problem!  Carol

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

This is likely more to do with the app than the television. If you have already tried a Smart Hub reset,  I would recommend reaching out to Metflix regarding the issue.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Smart Hub reset -  wow, that was a learning experience.  Smart Hub removes aps & they must be put back.  

Cannot put back the Metflix app.  When I try to install that app, the SmartHub msg is "SmartHub is being updated".  The other apps -  Netflix and Amazon were successfully  re-installed after the Smart Hub reset and are working.  

Metflix (The Metropolitan Opera) worked normally until just after the Samsung software update.  Something about that update caused a problem for Metflix, but for no other app.  

Will give it a few days, then cancel Metflix.  Too bad, the Arts need all the $ they can get these days.  Oh well, I've learned a lot about my Samsung TV as I try to fix this.  Thanks to those who tried, but I wish Samsung would work with Metflix to fix this     

Thanks Carol

Highlighted
Constellation

Same results for my 2016 TV. It gets better.  When I Chromecast the MetOpera.org streaming service from my PC to the TV, the titles disappear when casting in full screen mode.  Can only see them when I cast the reduced screen version.  Glad I'm not paying the Met for this service.  They claim they are working with Samsung on it and Samsung claims an update to the TV is scheduled by the end of June.  We'll see.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same problem here. I contacted MET Customer Service and they said they are working with Samsung to fix the problem of subtitles. Fingers crossed.

Frederic

Highlighted
Asteroid

ROKU - The Met Opera app on my Roku works very nicely, when connected to the Samsung tv.  The Roku version of the Met Opera app even reminds me how to be sure the subtitles are correctly set.  So, if you happen to use Roku, that's a solution.  (I can't get the Samsung TVs  to load the Metflix app.  It disappeared when I reset the SmartHub.)