JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Netflix not working on Samsung Smart TV

(Topic created: 04-08-2017 08:06 AM)
michaelgeraci
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have HU8550, SEK 3500 set-up. Firmware 1453. Netflix app has been reinstalled. I still get the "cannot play title at this time" message on every title. Netflix works fine on all other devices in my house. Any ideas?

581 Replies
Jbwiljr
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Mine is fixed without logging out or reinstalling the Netflix App.  Now it ain't broke so please don't fix it.  LOL

0 Likes
Gordo
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

by logout and reinstall, do you mean delete the app from the Smart Hub, then download the Netflix app? My TV is a 48" Model 5200, problem started a week ago, Netflix gets to 25% loading, then times out w/ a connectivity error. 

Gordo

0 Likes
Solution
michaelgeraci
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Four weeks later, I can confirm that Netflix is also now working after a quick sign out/reinstall of the Netflix app.

It's a shame that the Samsung technicians and moderators aren't informed of what defects exist on their products. You would think they would know what issues are out there and what their development team is working on. There should be more transparency for the customer. They should let their customers know that the issues are known issues and they are being worked on urgently. The smart hub restarts and the system resets are frustrating when customers have already tried these tasks numerous times. The only answers I ever got was the equipment is defective please return it for a new one or we can send a technician to your home at an additional cost to you. Unacceptable , especially when customers are informing them that other users are having the exact same problem.

This is was a software issue on samsungs side which we all said from the start and it was rarely acknowledged.

SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hi michaelgeraci! We're glad that you're back up and running!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
MeatMotor
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Netflix is now working properly on my JS9000 too.

0 Likes
userwhfhfv7HQe
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Re: Netflix not working on Samsung Smart TV [ Edited ]
ultimately uninstalling and re installing the Netflix app did work, but it required multiple tries and wasn't that easy. in order to avoid the "black screen" problem again after re install of Netflix, I had to delete it again, power down and then hard reboot my entire network as well as the TV. and this is on a one month old Samsung KS 8000 with the latest firmware and software installed. I hope that Samsung fixes this issue  permanently, because this fix is a lot of work to get Netflix which is one of the main apps I use, to work properly in the Smart hub

user4V8ZmhKJPn
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This is a solution i pulled from another thread that has been working for multiple users. Pretty sure the guy is a genius. 

This is NQ5P. After 5 days of testing, I'll post what I believe is the solution.  I will include technical details for (hopefully) Samsung developer's benefit.

Simple

The symptom is that after entering an application like Netflix, YouTube, WEB, amazon video, HBO, etc, no keys on the remote work, except for the home button. If you go to Home ->Settings->Network->Network Status, it says you are connected to your wireless network (WIFI) but not to the Internet. Unplugging the power for a minute and plugging it back in fixes the problem for a day or so.

Technical

I have version 1167 Op System on my new Samsung 4K TV model UN60KU630DFXZA, and I periodically lose my internet connectivity but NOT my wireless connectivity. My IP Setting and DNS Setting are set to automatic, and my DNS and gateway are set to my WIFI routers address (in my case 192.168.0.1.). I think the router sends a TCP/IP redirect to the TV with the correct DNS IP address or forwards the NSLookup request on to the ISP's DNS. The response from the DNS server is then sent back to the TV. If I had a sniffer I could tell you exactly where the TV is failing in its software.

Solution for Users

Step 1 - determine your Internet Service Provider's (ISP)  DNS server IP address. There will typically be two such addresses, primary and secondary, but your Samsung TV can only use 1 that is IP4. (IP6 is a newer version of TCP/IP protocol but our Samsung TVs don't use it).  On my PC, I opened a browser to Google and searched for "Comcast DNS server IP address" because Comcast/Xfinity is my ISP. Replace "Comcast" with your ISP like COX, CenturyLink, HughesNet. A Comcast link said my primary IPv4 address was 75.75.75.75, so that is the address that I used in later steps. Here is a typical result from a Google search:

Comcast Domain Name System (DNS) servers:

Primary IPv4:  75.75.75.75

Secondary IPv4:  75.75.76.76

Primary IPv6:  2001:558:FEED::1

Secondary IPv6:  2001:558:FEED::2

Step 2: Using your remote, go to Home->Setting->Network->Network Status. After the TV completes its test, go to IP Settings (2 positions left of Close). Don't change the "IP setting" of automatic. rather cursor down to "DNS setting" and change it to "Enter manually" and then cursor down to "DNS Server" and select it. In each of the 4 fields enter your ISP's DNS IP address the same as we noted in Step 1. This may take some time to learn how to go to the top to select numbers and done, and move from field to field.

Step 3: When you save the DNS Server's IP address manually, the TV will then test the Network Status again and you should have Internet Connectivity.

If you have trouble, try to find a neighbor or computer person to help you.

PLEASE POST THAT THIS SOLUTION (from NQ5P) FIXED YOUR problem assuming that it did. Samsung will no doubt be watching for responses.

Samsung Technical Support - Please let me know when you have fixed the issue with losing the DNS server IP address and in what release.  I'm sure many like me will want to know it, because from time to time an ISP may change its DNS IP Server addresses. The automatic DNS setting is far preferable after you fix the issue.

gugarci
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I'm also having issues with Netflix & my Samsung 55KU6300.
My TV is running firmware 1168 & can connect to Netflkix with no issues but the performance is horrible!
I use Fios & have the 100 Mbps package. The Samsung app connects to Netflix but It rarely plays anything in HD. And when I check the connection speed using the check your network option my speed is usually very slow. Just tested my speed as I type and my result was .366 Mbps.

I always exit Netflix from this same menu & sometime exiting, reloading or signing out completely from the app fixes the issues but when it does it’s only temporarily. I just tried it again after reloading & exiting & both time my speed were around .236 Mbps! I just sign out of the app completely, reneter my password, tested my speed again & my results was .389 Mbps!!!!!   

I have a XBOX One & a Sony Blue Ray player connected to this same TV & they both play HD videos from Netflix with no issues. This is clearly a Samsung problem & I also will never buy another Samsung product again. Samsung has become a JOKE!!!!!

0 Likes
gugarci
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

And one more thing to the moderator,  Unless you are on Samsung's payroll please take the word "Solve" off the title of this thread. NOTHING HAS BEEN SOLVED OR FIXED!!!!!

user0ZmsRpCSyS
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have a solution that has been working for me now for several weeks - used this solution 3 times, successfully.

When Netflix or Amazon freezes up and won't do anything, simply take the Samsung remote, point at your TV and hold down the POWER button for about 10 seconds or so. The TV will reboot and show "SMART TV" on the screen, and soon you're back in action.

This is a RIDICULOUS thing to have to go through every week or so with a $750 TV. I am 54 yrs old and never had a TV in my life that needed all this rebooting! Samsung FAIL - and their inability to address the situation satisfactorily here with so many users in need shows that they are a dying company, because companies who ignore and discount their users these days, eventually, die.