JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Netflix not working on Samsung Smart TV

(Topic created: 05-27-2016 04:46 PM)
michaelgeraci
Cosmic Ray
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have HU8550, SEK 3500 set-up. Firmware 1453. Netflix app has been reinstalled. I still get the "cannot play title at this time" message on every title. Netflix works fine on all other devices in my house. Any ideas?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
581 Replies
users753huL7Cy
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Everyone keeps saying sign out of Netflix...except you can't cause it's a black screen! WTF Samsung 3k for this tv and you can't solve a f@cking 2$ app!!!!

0 Likes
user8KaECoie2L
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

What worked for me was to unplug the set, plug back in and Netflix worked.  After that, I made sure to exit Netflix from the menu "Exit Netflix" rather than getting out of it any other way.  This seemed to keep it working continuously for quite a while.  Samsung sent out a software update that I believe has improved the Netflix function since I've not had any issues for almost six months now.  Ive got the 65" curved UHD model.

It truly was frustrating for a long time, so I empathize with what many of you are experiencing.  This is my first and probably my last Samsung set.  My 52" Sony works flawlessly with Netflix.

0 Likes
userK5poPooRHX
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This fix helped me aswell.  The TV was crashing and was not allowing me to use Netflix.  

I reset the smarthub (menu option on the remote) and went throught the 9 step process.  Reinstalled Netflix in apps and setup the Username and password.  It worked!

0 Likes
userYBNi1nuSB8
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Had to reset the smart hub on our set, re-sign into our Samsung account and then Netflix 

0 Likes
userhX4SvUHC2P
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I'm having the same issue, I've tried resetting my tv, but nothing works.

0 Likes
userOY7YawvZc2
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Same problem here. Had a couple weeks with no issues the suddenly the remote has no functionality within Netflix and I can only select the shows I was just watching but it doesn't start where I left off and I can't fast forward or back out to the Netflix menu to select another episode. Seriously regretting this purchase. Never Samsung again. The fact there is no indication that this problem is being solved just kills me. A problem exists and they need to fix it!

0 Likes
user3uhGcvjOCF
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I think I've figured out a solution. I've been reading through ideas other folks had and I noticed a common fix was to either reset the SmartHub or unplug the TV.  Resetting the SmartHub was very annoying because you'd have to re-setup everything again (re-log into Netflix, remove apps you don't use, etc.), while unplugging the TV worked pretty well and didn't require you to go through the hassle of re-setting up your SmartHub.

That got me to thinking - this TV, like most consumer electronics today doesn't actually turn off when you hit the power button.  It just goes into sleep mode.  With the Netflix app on the SmartHub, when you switch to another input (either your cable box, PS4/Xbox, Amazon Video, YouTube, etc.), Netflix doesn't actually turn off - it simply remains on in the background.  Then when you turn off the TV, the Netflix app remains open, which for whatever reason, causes it to lock up.  It seems the problem with the Netflix app is that if it's open too long without activity, it will lock up and become non-responsive.  So when you're turning off your TV, because it's not actually powering down, the Netflix app never actually turns off, which is what seems to cause the problem.  That, in turn, explains why unplugging the TV seems to fix the problem - it cuts the power to everything and forces everything to close when the TV powers off, which ends the Netflix app session, and solves the non-responsive app problem.

With this in mind, I started playing with the remote and I found that if you use the back button to get all the way out of the Netflix app, it will give you the open to "Exit Netflix" - doing so seems to actually terminate the app, so it doesn't remain persistently open and become non-responsive.  I've been doing this consistently now since I first stumbled across the problem about a week ago, and it has been working like a charm for me.

Still, I think it's inexcusable for Samsung to not fix this software glitch, or explain the problem and a workaround to consumers.  I'm the customer - I shouldn't be trying to figure out these kinds of problems on my own.  Fortunately, because I bought from Costco, I still have time to return it if the problem pops up again.  But overall, Samsung's inability or refusal to address this problem and fix it have made me serious reconsider future purchases with them - I've been a loyal Samsung customer for over a decade; have six Samsung televisions in my home.  I've always been pleased, but this poor customer service has reopened future purchasing decisions to their competitors.  

Jjvfly
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Called Samsung, they told me it was a Netflix problem. Ugh...

I have the high end fridge, 2 phones, multiple TVs, watches, all which are Samsung. Customer service like this makes me want to move off this brand. This TV alone was 4k and this is what I get!

Shame on them...

0 Likes
userOY7YawvZc2
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I tried to exit Netflix when done before turning off tv, but it didn't work. Still have to reset "smart"hub every time I turn on TV and have to re sign in. Calling Best Buy this week to try to return it. Going with Sony

thanks for nothing Samsung, keep pointing the finger at Netflix. 

0 Likes
Juanisimo
Red Giant
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello there, everyone.

I can understand the confusion, and understand your frustration. However, to receive the best support it is recommended to reach out to the developer of the program you are experiencing troubles with. Applications located on the SmartTV are still developed by third party developers and will require that they configure or determine what coding may be leading to what you are experiencing. Samsung would be only be able to provide limited support, as these programs are licensed to these companies individually. These companies would be able to help with additional steps or assistance they may have available. 

0 Likes