cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vayio22
Cosmic Ray

New firmware 1251

I am an owner of 49" NU8052 (NU8000 series). I updated firmware at 1251 and I would like to share some thoughts:

Local dimming has been improved. Although there is still no option for disabling it, it seems that local dimming have a less affect with subtitles on dark scenes. With option at ‘Low’, things are much better than before. Also I noticed a slight improvement in motion handling. With Auto Motion Plus disabled, motion is better than before. But… with Auto Motion enabled (I tried many combinations) motion seems to have some issues. I think Auto Motion worked better with previous firmware (1202.3). So disabling this option has the best results. My only issue and I contacted Samsung for that, is that 4k videos playing from USB (not from other sources), are choppy. With the previous firmware, 4k playback was excellent. I am waiting for their reply….

Has anyone else the problem wirh USB?

Which are your observations about the new firmware?

26 REPLIES 26
usermHtzixfMNw
Astronaut

Re: New firmware 1251

I've updated my Q6FN firmware tot 1251 and noticed a big improvement with the local dimming settings on 'Low'.  Before the brightness would go up with subtitles in dark scenes, this is almost gone, it's now almost unnoticable. Watched GoT yesterday with the dark scenes and this was a lot better now. 

I noticed an even smoother Motion handling, at lower settings, but no further issues. 

A couple of smart apps start a bit faster. 

I haven't noticed anything else yet. 

TalatPasha
Cosmic Ray

Could anyone please share a video with the new firmware and a dark scene with subtitles? That would be great to compare imo.

vayio22
Cosmic Ray

For sure, local dimming has been dramatically improved after the last update. Also motion handling is now better, but with Auto Motion Plus disabled (at least for my NU8052). When I have it enabled (even with both deblur and dejudder sliders at zero), motion is smooth, then it seems to be losing frames for a couple of seconds, then becomes smooth again. This procedure is random, but is seems that although motion processing works ok, then for a reason stops working and again starts working again. So, I have Auto Motion disabled. Can anyone from Samsung also tell me why UHD videos (not FHD or HD) from USB are playing jerky ? YouTube is ok... and with the previous firmware 1202.3, I didn't have that issue...

user2SkBzdWgUM
Asteroid

@vayio22 wrote:

Also motion handling is now better, but with Auto Motion Plus disabled (at least for my NU8052). When I have it enabled (even with both deblur and dejudder sliders at zero), motion is smooth, then it seems to be losing frames for a couple of seconds, then becomes smooth again. This procedure is random, but is seems that although motion processing works ok, then for a reason stops working and again starts working again. So, I have Auto Motion disabled. 

I have the same issue with auto motion. It constantly stops interpolating and then starts again. Sometimes, it stops working for up to 20-30s. Incredibly annoying.

usert4jWrezyhv
Constellation

I have the nu8500 was losing frames after update with auto motion on,I unplugged my TV from the back of the TV for 1 minute virtually got rid of the studder picture is very smooth again.Hope this helps

userT9t3vaYUaW
Asteroid

I never had the subtitle problem with the local dimming feature but I must say the local dimming on ththe NU8000 does absolutely nothing to the picture. We should be able to disable it or Samsung needs it so it works property on the next firmware.

userT9t3vaYUaW
Asteroid

Thanks for the info. So I updated the firmware to 1251 from USB. I guess it didnt hit over the air yet cause my tv didnt detect it. Anyway I called Samsung they were no help. They told me not to update my firware to the 1251 yet because since it didn't automatically update over the air that if I update it through the USB it will screw up my tv. I laughed when I heard that. Anyway thanks for the info but how come no patch notes from Samsung. I mean what the heck does these firmware actually do. Anyone know? Also I have a question and its probably a dumb one but. How come I only can check the sources of my tv what the tv is actually playing in for example. My playstation is on hdmi 2. If I click on the source button it will give me the banner display of what my ps4 is playing in like 1920 x 1080p etc. How come Samsung TV's I cant find out what my apps are playing in? Why doesnt a banner display if I hit info for my apps? All other tvs if you hit the info button it will tell you what resolution your playing in. This kinda pisses me off. Anyone? Sorry I didnt explain it to well. Lol

userKj52wOecKo
Constellation

Based on what am seeing with my Q8FN,the local dimming algorithms seems to be a bit more aggressive on the black levels,as a result colors look more saturated.

Highlighted
user4gdsZ8qCT0
Asteroid

I have a Q6fn, and I recently performed the 1251 update. I have noticed the improvment during local dimming.

However, I have begun experiencing a problem since completing the update. Ever since the update was completed, my tv set randomly resets. This isn't a continual occurance. It randomly happens every few days. While I'm using the tv (often using an Xbox One X) the tv will shut off and instantaneously reboot. It is not a long process, and it signs me back into my account to complete the process. Again this only happens every other day or so, and while this doesn't make the tv unwatchable, it is very annoying and has only started happening since the update.

Any suggestions?

Thanks