Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ETorbert
Halo

Not turning off cable box when turning off TV

JUMP TO SOLUTION

A number of months have passed since the problem of not turning off cable box when turning off TV first appeared in this user forum. Many users with various Samsung smart TVs and various cable services have reported the TV remote turns on the cable box and TV consistently, but the remote turns off only the TV and not the cable box. Suggestions to update firmware, point the remote squarely at the cable box, etc. have failed to solve the problem. Can anyone confirm this issue has actually been brought to the attention of Samsung software engineers? Is there any hope of a solution?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Not turning off cable box when turning off TV

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This has been forwarded to the appropriate teams, though we cannot speculate on when or if a response will be given. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

35 REPLIES 35
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Could you provide the model of the television?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

ETorbert
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for inquiring. My model is UN50KU6300FXZA.

I have additional details to share...

I have a cable box.

If cable box is in Standby mode, TV remote turns on TV but does not turn on cable box. TV instructs me to press OK on TV remote to turn on cable box, and this works consistently. This is not a problem as same was case with my older nonsmart TV. It does demonstrate TV can send a cable box instruction to turn on.

If the cable box is already on, the TV remote turns on TV with last selected cable broadcast on. Do not have to press OK on TV remote.

Now the issue raised in above entry is...when TV remote turns off TV, it NEVER turns off cable box. Cable box remains on unless manually turned off or after 8 hours cable box automatically reverts to Standby mode.

As noted above, TV remote can send a cable box instruction to turn on by pressing OK, so it must have capacity to communicate a cable power related instruction. I do not know if the same instruction would work for power off or if there is a different power off instruction (in other words is the instruction specific to "on" or "off" or instead "power toggle").

I hope this helps you understand the issue to relay to Samsung.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This has been forwarded to the appropriate teams, though we cannot speculate on when or if a response will be given. 

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

user6cghfya61g
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My samsung remote has a 123 button with color dots.  If I push it twice, a menu pops up for cable box which you can turn it on....or turn it off from there.  

user19nA1sGgeY
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks!

Very cool!

With HDMI Arc on sound bar who poweron or poweroff it, it's perfect!

userogNWUzPxhP
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It has been marked: Solved! ???

But i don't see the solution. What was the solution??? I have a similar problem.
My TV is UE46F6500. I used my Sasmsung remote to turn on and off my tv and my cable box at the same time. It was working about 8 mounth. Than i didn't do anything i didn't updated any firmwares. But now it's not working.

What happened? How can i solve this problem?

userG5jCOPrFRm
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same for me - not turning off nor cable box, nor DVD player (both are turning on fine).
UE-49MU7002

useryh6VcsBqgM
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem. Turning sky box off with sky remote  puts tv (UE55mu7070) and home cinema (Samsung HTJ5500) back ON. so sky off then tv works.

Not good performance especially the "solved" tag!!!

userqa3oieLsLQ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just spoke with a technician from Spectrum on this. He informed me that leaving the cable box on all of the time is just fine. It goes on Standby mode, and the newest models have efficient fans that keep it from heating up. 

This is has solved the confusion of the remote! I now only use the tiny TV button and the POWER button. No more trying to configure the proper sequence between the POWER and SYSTEM buttons when powering off or on each day.