JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Not turning off cable box when turning off TV

(Topic created on: 2/14/17 6:19 PM)
ETorbert
Halo
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

A number of months have passed since the problem of not turning off cable box when turning off TV first appeared in this user forum. Many users with various Samsung smart TVs and various cable services have reported the TV remote turns on the cable box and TV consistently, but the remote turns off only the TV and not the cable box. Suggestions to update firmware, point the remote squarely at the cable box, etc. have failed to solve the problem. Can anyone confirm this issue has actually been brought to the attention of Samsung software engineers? Is there any hope of a solution?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
useryh6VcsBqgM
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I have the same problem. Turning sky box off with sky remote  puts tv (UE55mu7070) and home cinema (Samsung HTJ5500) back ON. so sky off then tv works.

Not good performance especially the "solved" tag!!!

userKQXY24LHd7
Cosmic Ray
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Here we are just before November 2020 and it's still an issue. With Anynet+/CEC on, the TV refuses to power up my AppleTV. It offers to do so by pressing OK; why can't it just do that from the start?

An easy software fix, and the firmware just got upgraded...still no fix. 

Extremely disappointing.

0 Likes
userqa3oieLsLQ
Astronaut
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I just spoke with a technician from Spectrum on this. He informed me that leaving the cable box on all of the time is just fine. It goes on Standby mode, and the newest models have efficient fans that keep it from heating up. 

This is has solved the confusion of the remote! I now only use the tiny TV button and the POWER button. No more trying to configure the proper sequence between the POWER and SYSTEM buttons when powering off or on each day. 

0 Likes
userinTDXLkB8b
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I leave my comcast cable box on.  About half the time when I turn on the tv as the picture comes up the cable box is shut off.  I then have to power up the cable box.  This is rather frustrating.  

0 Likes
userinTDXLkB8b
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Another clue in the puzzle: when the cable box is off and I turn on the TV, the TV turns the box on.  The TV never turns the box off.  

0 Likes
userYGAeFfdwii
Astronaut
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Amazing how something that simple (you would think) cannot be solved. My dad has another Samsung model and a different cable box. Same issue - turns the box on, but not off. The suggestion to simply leave the box on all the time is no solution. Unbelievable. Cross the Smart tv in the description as it is apparently not that Smart. 

Further, this post should not be marked as “solved” as Samsung clearly has not provided a fix yet. Forwarding an issue to “the appropriate party” over a year ago with no fix cannot be understood as a fix. Sorry!

user8BlVbLFZBG
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Same problem here. New 2018 Q series and Direct tv Genie. Samsung remote will power on cable box after first sending a request to do so (not automatically) . It does not apparently have the smarts to shut the cable power off when the tv is shut down. 

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@user8BlVbLFZBG: Could you provide the full model of the television?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
user8BlVbLFZBG
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I have the 2018 Q65F model bought at Costco

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Do you have anynet+ and any CEC options enabled on the television?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes