JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Not turning off cable box when turning off TV

(Topic created on: 2/14/17 6:19 PM)
ETorbert
Halo
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

A number of months have passed since the problem of not turning off cable box when turning off TV first appeared in this user forum. Many users with various Samsung smart TVs and various cable services have reported the TV remote turns on the cable box and TV consistently, but the remote turns off only the TV and not the cable box. Suggestions to update firmware, point the remote squarely at the cable box, etc. have failed to solve the problem. Can anyone confirm this issue has actually been brought to the attention of Samsung software engineers? Is there any hope of a solution?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
user8BlVbLFZBG
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Please explain net+ and CEC options and how they may or may not be set on the Samsung television. I followed routine setup instructions. 

0 Likes
user8BlVbLFZBG
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Anynet+ CEC is enabled, still won’t power off Directv with television. 

0 Likes
SamsungNik
Honored Contributor
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

So Anynet+ is how the television passes 4K signal and Dolby Digital Sound to and from the TV. HDMI-CEC is how the television controls and is controlled by other devices. Both Anynet+ and HDMI-CEC run through the ARC port on the TV. Regretfully Samsung does not guarantee that these features work with non Samsung devices. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user8BlVbLFZBG
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Okay. Good to know. Should I run satellite box through HDMI 4, the ARC port, rather than HDMI 1 as currently configured?

0 Likes
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

If you have anything else that uses ARC, you can connect it to HDMI 4. You can connect the satellite box to HDMI 1 if you would like. There's no real difference besides the ARC/CEC.

0 Likes
user8BlVbLFZBG
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Normally I suppose I would use ARC for external sound system but my Sonos Playbase only connects with optical so that HDMI port is open. Any other audio or video benefit in using ARC for Directv or Apple TV?

0 Likes
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

There is no other benefit. 

userL7didbH1Or
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Are you aware of any similar concerns/solutions for those who have/use a  TiVo  OTA instead of a cable box

0 Likes
userHd1gWBnRGQ
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs
This is nothing short of an epic fail on the part of Samsung. "Can't guarantee the remote will work with non-Samsung devices"? Really??!! I am hugely disappointed in the new Samsung TVs. I purchased a 2018 Q6FN to replace a six year old Samsung that died (another incident that combines with this remote issue that is forcing me to reconsider my choice of TV brand). The new TV has current technology and is a Smart TV, but apparently smart in this case does not extend to the remote control. It does not turn on/off the Spectrum set-top box nor the Polk soundbar, despite the fact that it functionally operates both devices when they are turned on using other means. So now I am back in 1990, using multiple remote controls to navigate the so-called Smart TV by Samsung. Avoid unless you enjoy having your couch littered with multiple remote controls.
userQSvds7tjzy
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Regretfully Samsung does not guarantee that these features work with non Samsung devices.

I just bought the Q6FN 55'' 1 month ago with a Samsung cable box, and believe it or not, I have the same issu since 2 weeks (before that, everything was working as intended : global start/shutodwn of all peripherals with a click of the Samsung smart remote)!

Remote control wont start the cable box, the TV will by sending a signal after checking that the source as not started. Neither the remote control or the TV can shut down the cable box, even if it's a Samsung product!

On the other hand, the Samsung smart remote will start and stop my Yamaha soundbar no problem ...

I'm confused ...

0 Likes