cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oldyellr
Asteroid

Optical audio output not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just recently bought a new UN55MU6300F  4K UHD Smart TV to replace my only 4-years-old UN50F6300AF that died.  I had the old one connected to my AVR using a Toslink cable and DAC to RCA cables. When I got the new TV I connected the audio output the same way, but all I got was a rattling sound from my AVR speakers.  Thinking the cheap DAC may have died, I got another similar, but different brand one, a Monoprice Digital to Analog Audio Converter, but that one gave no sound at all. I tried the DAC on my son's older 50" Samsung Smart TV and it worked fine.

So what is it with this new 4K UHD TV that the DAC won't work?  Is the output different from earlier TVs? Do I need a fancier DAC?  Or is my TV defective out of the box and I need to call for warranty repairs?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userZjhGVrFyQs
Constellation

Re: Optical audio output not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

FYI...Make sure Expert Settings have PCM for all settings.  I thought I set both to PCM, audio still not working.  15 min research and seeing same recommendations, went back and saw second audio setting still had bitstream.  Changed both audio settings to PCM, exited and went back to doublecheck the PCM settings saved and it worked!

51 REPLIES 51
Oldyellr
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No help, eh? This must not be a very popular forum.

Well, I asked the same question in a local A/V forum and we came up with the solution pretty quickly.   Nothing wrong with the DAC I was using, it's in the TV Settings.  Sound > Expert Settings,  HDMI Input Audio Format must be PCM instead of the default Bitstream.  That's it for anyone encountering the same problem.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for the input Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

KG1983
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did thid work for you? Because in mine, there is no red light indicating audio out signal. Can't belive these new 2000K smart tVs have problem with both HDMI ARC and the optical audio out!

Oldyellr
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, it worked after following the steps I described in my second post. While this new 4K smart TV is much superior to the old one as far as apps and playing movies from my laptop is concerned, I'm not thrilled with the new mini RF remote and prefer to use the old remote.

userVbj7qfEaEV
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks - I'm going to try your solution too. 
Popular or unpopular forum: who cares? SAMSUNG SHOULDN'T BE TOO CHEAP TO JUST PROVIDE THEIR OWN EXPERTS TO ANSWER CUSTOMER SERVICE. RELYING ON AMATEURS AND LUCK (EVEN IF THE AMATEURS ARE SMART) IS A TERRIBLE BUSINESS MODEL. (ALL CAPS ON PURPOSE).

userllZTgVab2w
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Didn't help still no sound 

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is the firmware on both units completely up to date? 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Which model television do you have? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Bob49
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think I've found the problem.  The output has to be switched to PCM while the TV is switched to one of the apps that is not working.  I think what a lot of people are doing is switching their TV back to an app or cable box that is working properly while they fool around with the output so they don't have to listen to that nasty noise.  If it's not making the nasty noise, you can't fix it as all outputs are not the same.

Hope this helps, Bob