JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Possible bad One Connect Mini - colors look bad sometimes

(Topic created: 01-12-2021 12:07 PM)
Alumriel
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have a 65" Samsung TV, model UN65JS850DFXZA, which I purchased from Costco back in 2015. Over the past year or so, I have had an increasingly frequent color problem where, when I turn the TV on sometimes, the colors are overly vibrant, the blacks are too black and the whites are too white, all resulting in a substantial loss in color/clarity.

I've been able to solve the problem temporarily by disconnecting the One Connect Mini and re-connecting it. I wonder if this box is going bad, or maybe just the cable itself?

Anyone seen this before?

8 Replies
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
HD and UHD TVs
ever had it calibrated before? getting that done irons out that type of issue. you can DIY it about anyway, so you don't have to pay all that money which is still way less then a new tv, a simple internet search for your TV calibration how too's would be able to instruct you on getting into the hidden menus for adjustments and tell you the recommended settings for you to adjust to so that it's as close to the pro computer calibration way as possible... started doing that 20 years ago when I first learned about it... very noticeable and sometimes drastically different and improved viewing. check it out, only takes a few mins.
0 Likes
Alumriel
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@SelfProclaimedBest 
I think perhaps you misunderstand the problem.
When this problem isn't occuring, the picture looks fine.
When the problem occurs, I disconnect and reconnect the One Connect Mini and the picture goes back to normal.

FWIW, I did adjust the picture settings myself when I first got the TV.

SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
HD and UHD TVs
nope... your picture can be fine, look fine and just act up from time to time, and be fixed by the connect/disconnect or just correct itself when that's done regardless of it being the actual cause. your description of sudden changes in color vibrancy and rich deep blacks or whiteout whites with a loss of viewing clarity is exactly what a calibration issues causes and how to fix that from happening so it doesn't scape goat the one mini as the cause. Once properly calibrated either years after using or from day one there is a very tangible notice in the viewing picture and a greatly improved length of TV life expectancy for actual viewed hours. that issue can be mistaken for a TV going bad or device, cables etc. just a suggestion to troubleshoot that's free before you start replacing stuff if you don't want to or have too. you mentioned you did adjust settings yourself day one! great! from the maintenance/testing set up via codes and such to open and view/change the individual, ungrouped, display settings for like temperature, gamma, hues, tones, shades, saturation etc...? if yes, have you checked them to see if something has slipped up maybe? if not take a look if you want or if not changed from that menu try that and see if it persists or stops
0 Likes
Alumriel
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Maybe it's my fault for not explaining the problem well enough.

Imagine the exact same static image source, such as a UI view of multiple apps, like the "home" screen for a game console, etc...

When things work as expected, the picture looks wonderful.

When there is a problem, the colors look over-saturated, the blacks are too dark, the whites are too bright and image details are lost.
Unplugging the One Connect Mini and reconnecting it fixes the problem.

For years, there was no problem.

I don't understand how calibration could have anything to do with this. The values have not changed since I set them, and the values are exactly the same whether I have the problem or not.
These are the settings I used:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8500/settings

SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
HD and UHD TVs
now now.... you know as well as I do that just cause you set up values years ago and never went back doesn't mean the pesky goblin can't change it when your not looking just to mess with you! lol..
j/k...j/k. the ones that steal the one sock out of the pair in the dryer so you end up with pesky left overs.. haha!!!
0 Likes
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
HD and UHD TVs
that the first model Samsung started using the nano crystals and not the dots? the layer setup up in between the backlight and normal liquid crystal display? has the split screen feature and the extra which brings like supposed relevant tweets or whatever along side you program that's supposed to be relevant to it? has the motion smoothness optscand what kot? does it/did it ever have a slight, but noticeable flicker when the led clear motion function was turned on? the one mini connections always the same? happen more frequently after longer periods of say true 1080p 24 viewing or 4k HDR? ever get a bloom of brightness after viewing like a pause screen for a spell then not resulting in a noticeable change in a livkerbrigbtness brightness for part of the screen when when auto dimming for movies or things that even using cinema black for more box line dimming was still kind of there?
0 Likes
Alumriel
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I am clearly doing a bad job of explaining the problem.

The problem only occurs when I turn on the TV sometimes. Not everytime I turn on the TV, just once in a rare while. In most cases, the TV has been off for many hours. Disconnecting and reconnecting the One Connect Mini always fixes it, which makes me 99% certain this is a hardware problem. Since replacing the One Connect Mini is much cheaper than replacing the entire TV, I'm going to just buy a new one ($150 or so I think) and see how it goes.

For what it's worth, I've never experienced any of the problems you describe. The One Connect Mini has always only had a single connection on HDMI 1.

Solution
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
HD and UHD TVs
no... I'm asking too many follow up questions about seemingly unrelated issues that my mind connected all the dots to your problems solution 1 million steps away... lol... that replacement one mini is probably the cheapest and easiest to check and hopefully fix the problem so it doesn't happen again. If you can find an actual physical store you can walk into and get one near you then, (worth a shot to, try anyway) if they would let you hook a new one up right quick, and though it's a long shot and you've stated that it only happens rarely, but if you can, and you get lucky and it, sure enough, happens right then, at least you'd know it not your mini and save you 150. if nothing happens you'd still be it the same wait and see mode anyway. just a thought. lol be crossing my fingers over here.... 🤞🤞, Hope it works
0 Likes