cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Problems controlling Pioneer receiver with Samsung's remote control

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Samsung 4K TV (50RU7100) and a Pioneer receiver (VSX-D811S) that I use as a home theather. The receiver is plugged to my TV through an optical cable and it works as expected (i.e. sound comes out through the speakers normally), but I can't control the receiver with the TV remote control.

I tried to configure the remote control automatically, but that didn't work. I then tried to do it manually by going to the configurations of the remote and selecting Home Theater -> Optical Cable -> Pionner -> and then the model VSX-D811S, but the test that follows doesn't work (the TV says the home theater is supposed to turn on or off, but nothing happens).

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated!!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Problems controlling Pioneer receiver with Samsung's remote control

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm happy to shed some light on this issue. It IS samsumgs fault, but it CAN be fixed, at least in some cases.

I have a Samsung 4K Q60R QLED TV and a Pioneer receiver (VSX-515V) that I use as a home theather. The receiver is plugged to my TV through an optical cable. Everything used to work perfectly until I updated to the latest firmware, AND reformatted my TV. After the re-format, the volume on the remote never worked again....same errors as listed above. Samsung obviously messed something up with their update relating to the pioneer IR code datebase.

Now for the fix. The issue seems to be with the Pioneer IR code database so just find a receiver, that is NOT pioneer, that uses the same remote IR code as your receiver. I used this site "http://www.verizon.com/support/smallbusiness/tv/fiostv/remote+controls/setup/questionsone/122842.htm" and found that the brand "WARDS" uses the same IR code as mine (RCA, Optimus, Magnavox, Capetronic, ADC, and Yamaha all seem to have IR codes that may overlap with some of pioneer's too). I then followed the procedure on my TV again for linking my remote, but when asked for the brand just searched "WARDS". The first attempt failed but the second Wards code it tried powered off my receiver as expected. It now all works fine again!

Hope this helps someone...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey! Thanks for reaching out if your Samsung remote is a universal remote there should be no problems connecting to the pioneer receiver, although there is no guaranteed compatibility with other brands, try this link out below and keep us updated! 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00050204/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is it resolved ? I have QN65Q70RAFXZA TV and Pioneer VsX-822 AV Receiver.  When I select optical and Pioneer in setup , its give an error message that an error occurred, and can't complete the setup.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Nope, I'm afraid not... I get no error message, though.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately, I still can't control my receiver with the Samsung remote, which is unfortunate. I'll probably have to get a different remote just to control the home theater...

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I spent two hours chatting (text and phone) with Samsung support agents.

Basic problem: when you try to set up the universal remote function for Home Theater, then select Pioneer, then select Optical, you get, "There was an error downloading. Please try again."

The text chat was particularly long and particularly frustrating. The chat agent insisted that remote functions only work with HDMI connections to a home theater. This person was exquisitely dense. Is this agent claiming that the menu design is faulty, offering "optical" for Home Theater control when it's not possible? "No.", he says. So isn't it more likely that the configuration file the TV is trying to download is missing or corrupt? "No."

Three factory resets of the TV, endless silliness, and 70 minutes later and he throws up his hands and the agent insists that I need to talk to Pioneer about this! (By the way, the "no universal remote with optical" assertion is easily refuted if you try to configure with any other brand of home theater: instead of a "download error", you get a power on/off test sequence.)

So then I called a phone agent: That agent offered a more useful solution, albeit an ultimately useless one: Connect via BT instead of optical. At first this seems like a workable configuration: volume and mute functions work fine. But there are two serious problems:

• The Pioneer home theater doesn't turn on or off from the Samsung remote, so you'd have to leave it on. That's unsatisfactory, as it draws over 9 watts of power while turned on. (I'm not even happy about the 0.2 watts drawn when it's off!)
  • Upon turning on the TV, the BT connection to the Pioneer home theater is unreliable. It can take minutes to happen.

In any event, I've finally decided to stick with my Harmony remote and throw the Samsung remote in the drawer. The Samsung remote's Dish Network Hopper integration is utterly inadequate. I futzed with it for 45 minutes and never managed to figure out a way to get to the main menu. Using the SmartThings app, I could get to the Hopper's Guide, but that's about it. 

What a shame. That remote has a lot of potential. It's too bad Samsung hasn't developed the "universal" remote integration adequately.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry. Please see my more extended reply below.

On my Q6DR TV, if you try to configure a universal remote for Home Theater/Pioneer/optical, you get a "download error". This is not a satisfactory experience.  I'm assuming that Samsung has either failed to populate this particular configuration file, or the file is corrupt.

If you don't support the configuration, you shouldn't offer the "optical" menu option, or you should at least tell the customer that Samsung doesn't support this configuration.

Worse than this, though: At least one of your online chat agents is claiming a provably false assertion: That optical connections to home theaters is not supported by universal remote functions. That's obviously not the case, since no such "download error" occurs if you select any number of other brands of home theater along with an optical connection.

I'm rather disappointed with Samsung at this point.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey Bud,   I just finished reading your whole thread about the Samsung Universal remote set-up with a Pioneer Home Theater,  

As you already know.. you are 100% correct about being able to connect the Pioneer reciever thru the optical cord,  

I am getting the exact same error message as you on my new 85" Q7 QLED,  when the menu gives you the reciever brand choice, and Pioneer is selected,  it instantly says "error downloading"  "try again"  -  "set up later"..  I thank you for saving my time that I knew id be wasting trying to get lucky enough to speak to a tech' who actually knew what they were talking about,  & that would hopefully Atleast know as much as I do about 'Their' product..   but that never happens in my world..  (Ever!)    anyway.. I wanted to tell you-   I just got this 2019 model Q7,  that is having the pioneer error message..  But the "Samsung" tv I had in this room before this new Q7  was a 2017 model,  it was a curved screen "7 Series"  same Bixby menu set-up,  same Samsung Remote (1 model earlier,  only difference was there were no 'under buttons'  the "netflix - prime - hulu" shortcut buttons,  and it was conected to this exact same Pioneer home theater,  throught the OPTICAL connection,  and it worked perfectly,  I absolutly loved that samsung remote - Ive never had something so simple and easy that controled everything perfect- the pioneer reciever - the xbox 1 - the apple tv - every single thing plugged into it, worked perfect..  so they are so totally Wrong (& full of $#!+)  like you said,   I can only assume it MUST be some kind of missing download link for pioneer,   such a waste,   im disgusted to think im gonna have to either buy another brand home theater - or use a 2nd remote,  after the 2 years using my last samsung universal - there is no going back to multiple remotes or one of those harmony remotes.   if you cant even speak to someone @ Samsung with enough knoledge to understand the situation,  how likely is it to get this pioneer isuue fixed. 

(please if you do end up figuring something out,  reach out to me in a reply,  I will for sure do the same if I find any kind of answer/fix.   thanks   - Billy.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same problem using the optical port.  I ended up connecting the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV ARC HDMI port.  Using the pioneer remote app I had to connect to the receiver and go into the 3 hashes top left and select control device.  Then selected TV and there is an option HDMI CEC that must be turned on.  Once I turned it on the Samsung remote immediately controlled the receiver volume.  

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same issue with an older 

Pioneer Elite. I just swapped it out from a Yamaha that the remote would control perfect.  This is super annoying.