cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Q80 - Disable HDR?

HDR content is incredibly dim and also forced for Prime and Disney content. How can this be disabled? I see no options in the menu.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Q80 - Disable HDR?

If you go to picture and expert settings do you see an option for HDR+ mode?  You should be able to turn it off that way. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

There is no option for this in the menu.

Highlighted
Halo

I have a 2020 Frame 65" so the menus may not be exactly the same, but here are some things I did (in the order I did them) to bring up the brightness for HDR content on Disney+ and Prime.  I'm using the built-in streaming apps and I'm not aware of any "disable HDR" setting on my TV. 

With these settings, movies look really good at night, and are good enough in the daytime:

1. Make sure that any light sensors for Intelligent Mode and Eco settings are off.
2. Have Brightness and Contrast at the highest settings. (These were the default settings for my TV.)
3. Turn Contrast Enhancer to "High".
4. Increase the gamma slider for the selected curve to brighten the screen without washing it out too much.

You don't have to use all 4 steps, sometimes #1 and #2 are enough depending upon the movie.  The Mandalorian is unwatchable without #1/2/3 anytime and a little of #4 in the daytime. Dr. Strange is another really dark movie.  Both Guardians of the Galaxy movies are fine with #1 and #2 at night but benefit from #3 in the daytime. 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

The worst thing you can do to a TV configuration is increase the gamma setiting it washes off the colors and make the image look awful.