Original topic:

Q80T Intermittent Signal with Nintendo Switch

(Topic created on: 1/12/21 5:04 PM)
userxnPN5lucQa
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Samsung Q80T HDMI4 Intermittent Signal with Nintendo Switch

So we have a new Samsung Q80T 65” and a new Nintendo Switch. Switch is connected to HDMI4. When playing the Switch, we randomly get bumped out to a “No Signal” screen. It will eventually come back but continues to happen intermittently. I am unsure what would cause this. We tried a couple different HDMI cables with the same result. We tried disabling Game Mode and Input Signal Plus on that HDMI port but didn’t seem to help. The Q80T is on firmware 1403 and says no further updates are available.

0 Likes
8 Replies
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I'm sorry to hear that does this occur on all HDMI ports? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userxnPN5lucQa
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Yes, it happens no matter which HDMI port we use.

0 Likes
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

This is something that will require service. You can shoot me a private message with the full model and serial number of the TV. http://bit.ly/2sSxapD

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
keithfkelly
Cosmic Ray
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

A newer firmware updates IS available, but you have to download it from Samsung's web site to a USB thumb drive using a computer, and then manually install it yourself, because Samsung's built-in firmware updater is hot garbage.  You'll also need to do a factory reset on your TV after applying the firmware update, otherwise you'll get all kinds of weird bugs and misbehaviors from the TV.

And no, this doesn't require a service visit.  Samsumg reps here just say that as a standard lazy cop-out because they are utterly incompetent.

0 Likes
Slyzon23
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I am having the exact same issue with my new 65" Q80T.  When playing PS% or watching Comcast on a different HDMI port and cable I will get a random no signal.  This requires me to turn off the TV and turn it back on to regain signal.  Anyone got a solution to this problem or will it require service.  My TV is only 3 months old.

0 Likes
userxnPN5lucQa
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

The issue I described with the Nintendo Switch was resolved by changing the RGB settings in the Switch console from "full" to "limited".  This completely eliminated the problem.  I didn't notice a significant change in picture quality so for now I've just left it this way.  After a few weeks, out of curiosity, I changed the RGB settings in the Nintendo Switch back to "full" and the issue immediately came back.  I've seen several posts online describing the same issue with the Nintendo Switch so it's not just my unit.  I hope they fix it in a firmware update.  It is not fixed in the current latest firmware, at the time of this posting.

I haven't experienced similar signal loss on other devices, but I have not tried a Playstation or a Comcast device, so this may not be helpful to you.

0 Likes
keithfkelly
Cosmic Ray
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

"Full" and "limited" refer to the digital color range.  It's possible that the HDMI cable you are using is of borderline quality/capability, such that bumping the range up to "full" is enough to exceed the cable's ability to deliver a stable picture.

It's also possible that choosing "full" is somehow triggering the TV to think it's receiving and HDR picture when it's not.  So I wouldn't rule out a firmware bug.

That said, I've used my Switch with my Q90T just fine without having to drop the color range to "limited".

0 Likes
keithfkelly
Cosmic Ray
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Random signal drop-outs are usually a symptom of a faulty or insufficiently-spec'd HDMI cable.  Insufficiently-spec'd HDMI cables can cause signal crosstalk and weakening that destabilize the TV's ability to latch onto the signal.  Ensure the HDMI cable you are using is of good quality and is sufficiently spec'd for the resolution and audio format you're using.

0 Likes