Original topic:

Q80T Picture Quality viewing HDR/4k Content

(Topic created on: 4/1/21 2:52 PM)
JeffOne
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

When I go to streaming source like Netflix, or Amazon Prime I noticed the TV automatically changes the settings based on the type of content - HDR, etc.   When I am viewing HDR and 4k content the picture is too dark but it appears I can't adjust the TV settings when in that mode. 

Am I mistaken ?

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Likes
4 Replies
user3UgGci728E
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

After numerous hours online with a Samsung tech doing display calibration, the sad conclusion is that these tvs are horrific when it comes to HDR content.  I have a Frame 2020, latest firmware, and ultimately had to use an external device with HDR disabled on it (xbox) to use Netflix and other apps without playing the HDR versions.  

When comparing absolutely unwatchable HDR content like the newest Star Wars movies or The Madalorian to the HDR-disabled versions via my xbox, the difference is shocking.  The tech sheepishly offered that the HDR versions were so dark and dreary because "that's how the studios want it to look".   Umm, NO.

The same goes HDR games.  When HDR is enabled on my xbox, the games look ghastly (Hitman 3, AC: Valhalla). With HDR disabled they look vibrant and beautiful.

I really regret buying this tv but I am stuck with it now.

Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

In my experience with the Q80T, it appears that SDR and HDR settings are independent, and auto-switched, and you have little control over it manually. I posted Q80T - independent brightness and contrast doesn't... - Samsung Community - 1558298 in an attempt to get more information from Samsung. It appears to be poorly documented, but deliberate behavior. Long story short, in Standard mode, as well as Dynamic and Movie, if you crank up HDR content, you can change brightness and contrast. When you switch back and forth, you'll get whatever you last set it to for that content type. For me, I set Brightness and Contrast to 50 for HDR, and lower for SDR. You'll need to do this for each mode supported. Note: Natural mode seems to defy this pattern.

useroBBzaYl97t
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

SOLUTION!

You.are.amazing, WaitingForGuacamole! The portion of your post past the link is EXTREMELY helpful. I didn't realize that each Picture Mode option had separate settings that could be modified and saved for that specific mode -- perhaps that's due to me having replaced my 18-year-old flat screen  32" that cost $2K at the time (I was going to get my money out of that **bleep** thing!) with the Q60.

For example,  I did not realize that "Dynamic" Picture Mode brightness and contrast settings that I've set to 50 (and I assume any other Picture Expert Settings I've changed) could differ from the "Standard" Picture Mode settings.  Once I realized that (thanks to your post) and disabled Eco Picture, I was able to apply your suggested settings to Dynamic mode and that improved the picture quality.

You'd think Samsung would reply with this information on allllllll of the posts regarding darkness when using Netflix, Prime, and the like streaming services. AND, that it would be one of the key "Help" items that appear when visiting the e-Manual. 

Thanks, dude!

0 Likes
JeffOne
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Thank you for the reply and helpful information.  I will play with the settings some more.

0 Likes