cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userwTMwpW73a8
Cosmic Ray

Q900 Dolby Atmos AppleTV4k Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Connectivity

I'm not getting Dolby Atmos on my Samsung Q900 75 inch 8K TV. I've read multiple forums and have tried multiple connections. I can get Dolby Digital Plus through TV Apps but not Apple4K or PS4Pro, only digital or PCM. Here's what I've tried and my equipment. 

Equipment: 

Samsung Q900 75"

AppleTV4K 

PS4Pro

Nakamichi Soundwafe Pro 7.1 2018 with Atmos, DTS: X and SSE Update, Dolby Vision HDR10+

8K HDMI 2.2 cables

AppleTV4K Atmos Setups and results:

1. AppleTV4K connected to OneConnect Box and Nakamichi ARC to One Connect ARC

Results: Samsung Expert Sound Settings -only Dolby Digital - DolbyDigital+ not available (NO ATMOS) Soundbar reads only Dolby Digital Dolby Surround.

2. AppleTV4K connected to Nakamichi HDMI 2.2 Port. Results: Samsung Expert Sound Settings- Only PCM available, however, Nakamichi shows Dolby Atmos. Dolby Vision and HDR not working.

I've spent a small fortune and thought I bought all the right equipment that's compatible to play the best Video and Audio but none of it works in unison.

Questions

Anything else I can try or change in my settings or setup?  Or do I just wait for a software update from Samsung and/or Apple? Is my Q900 able to have eARC with its current hardware or is it just a possible software update or patch coming in the future? I really hope Playstation 5 comes out ready to roll with all the right hardware, compatibility and software to take advantage of the TV and Soundbar Capabilities. 

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Q900 Dolby Atmos AppleTV4k Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Connectivity

Are your HDMI cables Atmos compatible? Please go to Settings>Support>Contact Samsung and provide the full model code and current software version. eARC compatibility will depend on the information when it is released. Unfortunately, we are unable to speculate on future updates.

userwTMwpW73a8
Cosmic Ray

These are the cables I'm using. They should be compatible. 
0919B61F-58BA-4E3E-9357-CE93C89BAF47.png

A7010213-EC5D-4846-91CB-44E784D71FF6.png

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I would recommend verifying with the seller that the wires support ATMOS.

userwTMwpW73a8
Cosmic Ray

Talked with Samsung Customer Support and they are saying it's Nakamichi. I will call them tomorrow. 

userwTMwpW73a8
Cosmic Ray

I received a second call from Samsung's customer support and they were surprisingly very helpful and understood the issues I am having. We went through Power Cycling and different settings and they believe the cables I'm using are absolutely fine. The conclusion is that it's something with the software in the TV that's not sending the appropriate signals. It's not a hardware issue. They did mention that there is a new update that is almost cleared for release but still finishing up testing. Seems like a very generic answer but I guess we will just wait and see. Is eArc a hardware upgrade or programming upgrade or both? I'll google that. 

Highlighted
userwTMwpW73a8
Cosmic Ray

So after trying to teach myself (I'm a complete beginner to Audio) about eARC, Atmos and everything, it seems my $5000 Q900 doesn't do Atmos. It doesn't have the capability and the HMDI 2.1 (port 4) might not have the chipset to accept an eARC firmware update and pass it to my Nakamichi Sound System. Nakamichi said that if my TV does have eARC capabilities, it would be able to process Atmos through its ARC but I've read that if all devices involved don't all have eARC, it won't work. 

I've also tried connecting my devices to the Soundbar and then the HDMI ARC to the HDMI Port 4 on the One connect, and it shows Atmos on the Soundbar but it's definitely not Atmos. The sound is soft and not encompassing at all. The Expert Settings on the TV just say PCM with no option of DD or DD+. The only thing I can do is stream through the built-in NetFlix and Prime Apps In DD+. My Sony BluRay Player only does DD, no DD+. 

I spoke with Samsung today 10/24/19 and they told me an update (1324.1) is almost ready to launch but not manually available for download yet. Of course, they couldn't disclose what's included in that update and I'm doubtful that the hardware is capable to accept an eARC upgrade.

I sincerely hope that Samsung can figure this out or offer an option to be able to purchase a "Ready to Go" OneConnect Box that has multiple HDMI 2.1 Ports (for PS5 and Scarlett, 4K Players, Sound Systems, etc.) and eARC.

I spent a good chunk of cash to have an "experience" when I'm home watching movies or playing games and all I feel is completely disappointed with Samsung right now.