cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jomino
Asteroid

Q900R 2019 blooming issues in game mode

Has anyone else had major issues with blooming in game mode on either the q900 or q90? The blooming wasnt as bad until I turned off the dynamic black equalizer, but I think that's because the equalizer honestly just adds extra brightness which would help cover up some of the blooming against dark background anyway. To compare this, I also watched a 4k hdr bluray in normal hdr mode which looked amazing with almost no blooming and inky blacks, but then watched the same movie in game mode and instantly got the same major blooming when watching the bluray in game mode instead. I wonder if game mode doesnt make use of the full array back light as well as it should. Hopefully samsung will release an update to fix this soon!

3 REPLIES 3
Jomino
Asteroid

Re: Q900R 2019 blooming issues in game mode

Well I see from more then a few other topics that blooming seems to be a regular issues with the 2019 TVs... I've still got to the 17th to return this TV but I'm looking for any reason not to. I wish Samsung support would possibly respond or work an a new patch to address this issue soon!

Highlighted
userF0mzkbssJL
Asteroid

Yes, it's exactly the same on the Q90R (75"). Blooming supression outside of game mode is superb. While it's not a huge problem in many games (I tested about 16 HDR games across PC and PS4), some have bright HUDs that cause a really distracting bloom in dark scenes and really spoil the experience. The Local Dimming setting seems to do nothing to alleviate this in game mode. I really hope this is improved upon in further updates as it's the only real downside I can see on the TV. This has been mentioned quite a bit on other forums. So disappointed.

Jomino
Asteroid

Thank you for the reply, it's good to know i'm not alone! I have gone ahead and downloaded the new firmware from Samsung's site and will try to install it via USB drive since I have heard people say not to rely on the over the air update. The TV says its on ver. 1315 but the site says the most recent ver. is 1315.4. I'm not sure if the TV is just masking the .4 but I figure it's worth a shot. If that doesn't work, then I plan on doing a factory reset to see if I can get the TV back to the original firmware. If all else fails, I'm possibly going to return the TV and try to get a used Q9FN or Q8FN.