Original topic:

Q900R 8k TV - 4k 120hz not supported on Xbox Series X

(Topic created on: 11/12/20 7:37 AM)
userus6kygm8JB
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Hi, I own the 75" Q900R (Q900RA to some) and just bought the Xbox Series X and it is showing as not supporting 4k at 120hz. Why is this? I have updated latest software, have the updated OCB, game mode on and have UHD Colour on. All conversations with support state that 4k 120hz is supported by the TV and they have no solutions thus far - they are investigating the issue.

I really hope I have not been mis-sold by Samsung when they stated that HDMI2.1 would be supported with the upgraded new OCB. I would rather not have to complain or raise a mis-sell with Samsung as I really like them as a brand and love the TV overall but this TV was not an insignificant amount of money and I trusted Samsung when I bought the TV that they would sufficiently implement HDMI2.1.

Below is what the Series X shows for compatibility:

image.png

25 Replies
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Have you tried HDMI port 4 by any chance? 

Per the info at https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q900-q900r-8k-qled#comparison_2502, "Update 04/08/2019: It was discovered that HDMI port 4 supports 8k @ 30 Hz @ 4:2:0 and 4k @ 120 Hz @ 4:2:0 via HDMI 2.0"

On another site I saw the comment that the "Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable is required."

0 Likes
userus6kygm8JB
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Yep and the cable supplied with Xbox works for everyone else who has a 4k120 compatible TV (and not this TV). 

0 Likes
userKa9WmLlqVh
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I have exactly the same issue. This isn't good enough! I parted with a lot if money, trusting Samsung. Clearly I have been fed false promises. Sadly, if this isn't resolved, then it will have to taken further.

0 Likes
userjFoAPygEVF
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Guys, see if there's an update for your TV. Just had a similar issue with my q80t. Loaded gears 5 with my seriesx set at 4k-120hz-VRR and the title screen was flickering like mad, downloaded an update on my TV and it works fine now.

Until the series x released I don't think there was any device that supported hdmi 2.1(port4) since the the series x has released Samsung have released the update at least on the q80t....... Hope this helps :thumbs_up:

0 Likes
William4
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Getting the same issue on my Q900R.

What's even more annoying is that using HDMI 1-3 (which cap at 4K 60hz) you can set the Xbox to 1080p, then plug into HDMI4.

The Xbox then shows me the below (suggesting that it does support 4K 120hz):20201113_235622.jpg

But when you try to switch to it, just goes blank or says no signal. Eventually times out and says:

20201113_235724_HDR.jpg

I did buy this thing hoping i'd be future proofed with HDMI 2.1. Maybe it's a dodgy implementation of it?

Worth noting that the PS5 does a similar thing, only the TV says it's doing 480p which is an "unsupported resolution", but works on in HDMI 1-3. Also tried 3 separate HDMI 2.1 cables (Included PS5, Xbox and a 3rd party)

0 Likes
userus6kygm8JB
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Thanks for your insight and for testing out different cables, ruling that out. 

0 Likes
William4
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Posts from owners of other Samsung TVs with HDMI 2.1 seem to suggest it's an issue with VRR. And I have tested that turning off VRR which has given me 4K 120hz just without freesync.

They also said this has been fixed in a recent firmware update, but i'm running the latest for my region (1372).

Seems not all regions (like for me in Australia) have the fixed firmware yet? Bit of a dissapointment.

Known Issues on Xbox Series X|S - Microsoft Article -

If the issue still persists, also consider trying the following:

Configure the console for 4k/120 with no VRR by going to Setting> General> TV & display options> Video Modes> uncheck the box for Allow variable refresh rate. The resolution and refresh rates are found under “Display” in TV & Display options.

Hope this helps ya mate.

0 Likes
userus6kygm8JB
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Tried this with the Q900RA and it didn't work, 120hz still not possible at 4k.

0 Likes
userZ5doIJELQu
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Yes it is. Put it on hdmi 4 and make sure input signal plus and game mode are on. I haven't tried on any other ports but I know it works on 4. Same goes for PS5

0 Likes