Q90T audio passthrough is broken

(Topic created on: 11/24/20 6:38 PM)
userjnmloBvygc
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Can anyone help me pls?

HDMI '1- Ps4 Pro connected

HDMI '3 eARC - Samsung q70r soundbar connected (latest firmware with eARC support)

In q90t there is an option to passthrough audio via eARC to the soundbar without any processing applie by the TVs software (unprocessed audio LPCM) to the soundbar to process it But it is not working.

When i see in game audio option it is showing Television 2.0 channel by connecting Playstation directly to TV on HDMI 1 then TV to soundbar via eARC HDMI 3 Port and select PASSTHROUGH under digital audio output format in TVs expert sound settings.

When i connect Playstation directly to q70r soundbar HDMI IN (to pass video via soundbar) then soundbar to TV via HDMI OUT to TV (any HDMI) under game in audio menu it is showing Hometheatre 7.1ch.

Playstation main audio output is set to Linear PCM (unprocessed audio)
In game menu is properly showing 7.1ch when ps4 connected to soundbar then TV.

But if ps4 to TV it should passthrough without any processing to the soundbar to detect 7.1ch linear PCM when i select passthrough but it doesn't.

Using premium HDMI promate cables and tried with stock cables given by manufacturers no use.

eARC set to auto
Soundbar is showing eARC

usernsulUVrdMv
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I'm having the same issue with my Q800 8K TV.

Apps built into the TV correctly output 5.1 surround with atmos, but any devices connected to the TV via HDMI (using audio passthrough) get converted to 2 channels.

With PS4 Pro, LPCM 5.1 output gets received as LPCM 2.0 by my receiver after going through the TV. But if I use the Dolby Bitstream output, then the receiver correctly gets 5.1 Dolby. Nintendo Switch, after going through the TV is LPCM 2.0 as well. Connecting either device directly to my receiver directly works fine.

useroT2QF43MOb
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Dobly Bitstream is a workaround, not a fix. You end up getting compressed audio and possible delay, you are not getting the full value of your AVR and speakers.

Konador
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Exactly, I could have kept my cheap old optical-only receiver if I was happy with a delayed Bitstream!

userocuHbP7bON
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Same here. Q800t and same issue, plus random sound drops.

0 Likes
userisoSuXxl5d
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Q800T + Sonos Arc + PS5 here.  I was having problems with audio sync.  I found that turning off Game Mode actually solved this for me, using Dolby Bitstream instead of LPCM (in lieu of Samsung releasing a software update that passes through full LPCM instead of downmixing to 2.1 channels.  I'm using eARC also, with HDMI 2.1 capable cables end-to-end.

I think Game Mode is buggy on this TV/software.  I first thought this last week when playing Ghost of Tsushima.  I had visible artifacting around the character when moving around the screen, usually caused by refresh rate not keeping up with the movement of the character.  You know the one - looks a bit like the character has an aura when moving.  I turned off Game Mode and this went away, which seems counterintuitive since Game Mode is supposed to have less latency.  

I then played The Last of Us 2 last night, and found that the opposite was true - i.e. I can see some artefacting with Game Mode off, but looks better with it on.  BUT, with it on I get audio delay.  

I didn't notice a delay with GoT since I hadn't played around with the audio settings yet and was only using the default 2 channel LPCM.  

So my view is this is more of a Game Mode issue, combined with the limitation of the TV not being able to pass through 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM yet. 

0 Likes
useraS4HmY1Ugb
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I'm having the same issue with my Q90t and contacted support. They confirmed this is a known issue that will be addressed in a future update, but that there's no ETA.2020-11-13 08.23.14.png2020-11-13 08.23.18-1.png

0 Likes
userud2Rv3YDLj
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I am having the same issue with the 2020 Q80T. It is forcing me to not have uncompressed surround sound for my devices connected directly to my tv (xbox series x, blu ray). Also can't take advantage of the hdmi 2.1 port and eARC enabled av receiver (str-dn1080) without sacrificing the surround sound experience. Hopefully this is fixed soon or else I will sell this tv and will never buy a samsung tv again!

user5jLWKUTnyl
Astronaut
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I have Q80T and had this same problem. Everything was being downmixed to stereo using eARC, even the built-in apps like Amazon Prime Video. I switched the TV audio output from "TV Speaker" to "Optical" and it started allowing surround sound content. I'm not using the TV speaker or the optical out, but now the multi channel signal is being sent over eARC. Maybe this will help someone else. 

0 Likes
Konador
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

@user5jLWKUTnyl wrote:

I have Q80T and had this same problem. Everything was being downmixed to stereo using eARC, even the built-in apps like Amazon Prime Video. I switched the TV audio output from "TV Speaker" to "Optical" and it started allowing surround sound content. I'm not using the TV speaker or the optical out, but now the multi channel signal is being sent over eARC. Maybe this will help someone else. 

How did you manage to do this? When I switch to Optical I lose the eARC audio completely. I'm really frustrated by this problem!

userhvHEim8SKf
Constellation
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I think I just figured this out on accident. I have a q800t tv and have been having the same issue. Bought a ps5, hooked directly to the 2.1 port, sound going back to receiver on hdmi 3. Pcm always showed as stereo. I could sometimes get Dolby digital 5.1 to work but with significant delay and I think that's compressed. I have the dh790 receiver with update for earc. I decided to switch cables I was using. I hooked the cable that came with the ps5, a hdmi 2.1 cable, as the earc cable, and just using the "high speed" 2.0 cable to the TV. I can get full pcm sound from the ps5 now with no delay. Now I just need another 2.1 cable for the video so I can get 4k/120. 

I was using generic best buy high speed cables with ethernet previously. Which is suppose to be good enough but I'm guessing it's not. Tv settings set to passthrough with no delay. 

0 Likes