Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Q90T audio passthrough is broken

Can anyone help me pls?

HDMI '1- Ps4 Pro connected

HDMI '3 eARC - Samsung q70r soundbar connected (latest firmware with eARC support)

In q90t there is an option to passthrough audio via eARC to the soundbar without any processing applie by the TVs software (unprocessed audio LPCM) to the soundbar to process it But it is not working.

When i see in game audio option it is showing Television 2.0 channel by connecting Playstation directly to TV on HDMI 1 then TV to soundbar via eARC HDMI 3 Port and select PASSTHROUGH under digital audio output format in TVs expert sound settings.

When i connect Playstation directly to q70r soundbar HDMI IN (to pass video via soundbar) then soundbar to TV via HDMI OUT to TV (any HDMI) under game in audio menu it is showing Hometheatre 7.1ch.

Playstation main audio output is set to Linear PCM (unprocessed audio)
In game menu is properly showing 7.1ch when ps4 connected to soundbar then TV.

But if ps4 to TV it should passthrough without any processing to the soundbar to detect 7.1ch linear PCM when i select passthrough but it doesn't.

Using premium HDMI promate cables and tried with stock cables given by manufacturers no use.

eARC set to auto
Soundbar is showing eARC

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Q90T audio passthrough is broken

I have found the same issue.  Apparently they have been notified about the issue as well as the dimming in HDR.

Highlighted

THIS!!! I have the same problem and I'm about to return my TV over it. All pcm audio is downmixed to stereo even if Passthrough is on. So my receiver (sony dh790) is getting a stereo signal even though my ps4 and switch are both sending pcm surround sound signals. PLEASE fix this samsung, or I'm returning my tv and getting an LG or Sony.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Looks like a new firmware update was just released today:

Model : Q950T, Q900T, Q850T, Q800T, Q90T, Q80T, Q8DT, Q70T, Q7DT, LS03T, LS01T

Upgrade File(USB type) 
Version 1402.1
SEP 29,2020
Maybe this will resolve the eARC Passthrough issues...
Highlighted
Asteroid

I have downloaded it and it doesn't seem to have fixed the eARC issue.  Still only getting LPCM 2.0 from my PS4 with pass through to my Sony 1080 receiver.  PS4 is plugged into HDMI 4.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I downloaded and installed the update myself last evening with no change in the Audio Passthrough issue I'm having.  I did find an enlightening YouTube video on connecting eARC on the Samsung TVs.

Hopefully not violating any rules, but I found a useful video on YouTube on hooking up Denon AVR and Samsung TVs along with great explanation on ARC/eARC idiosyncrasies with Samsung.

https://youtu.be/j4xAllizXjk

Today I walk you through how to set up Dolby Atmos on 2020 Samsung 4K & 8K TVs. We also get into the quirks of eARC/ARC (Audio Return Channel) setup on these...
Highlighted
Constellation

Well you have the wrong hdmi port for a start! eArc is only compatible on HDMI port 3. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

@userKxszz8HVpp wrote:

Well you have the wrong hdmi port for a start! eArc is only compatible on HDMI port 3. 

The issue is that when your receiver is connected via eARC on HDMI 3 you should be able to send through LPCM 7.1 signals from any device connected to any of the other HDMI ports to your receiver.  Currently all PCM signals are converted to 2 channel signals regardless of whether eARC is set to pass through or auto.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I'm having the same issue with my Q800 8K TV.

Apps built into the TV correctly output 5.1 surround with atmos, but any devices connected to the TV via HDMI (using audio passthrough) get converted to 2 channels.

With PS4 Pro, LPCM 5.1 output gets received as LPCM 2.0 by my receiver after going through the TV. But if I use the Dolby Bitstream output, then the receiver correctly gets 5.1 Dolby. Nintendo Switch, after going through the TV is LPCM 2.0 as well. Connecting either device directly to my receiver directly works fine.